Why a Health Bar and Health Packs Should Return in Halo 4 (IMO)

Obviously this is all opinion but I see a few threads calling for no more health bar and health packs and I strongly disagree and here is why:

  • Halo 3 (and I think Halo 2) did actually have a health system, you just never saw it. When your shields popped and you took a couple more shots your health would go down, but you didn’t see that because it wasn’t visually represented. Over time it would regenerate but it took quite a while. Why not just visualize it so you can monitor it? I see no advantage to hiding your health bar.

  • Health promotes map movement. Yes, that’s right. Someone is more likely to move to find a health pack if they have low health because one well placed grenade spells curtains to anyone with full shields but low health.

That’s the main reasons why I want health to stay in Halo. It just makes sense to me.

Thoughts?

> Obviously this is all opinion but I see a few threads calling for no more health bar and health packs and I strongly disagree and here is why:
>
> - Halo 3 (and I think Halo 2) did actually have a health system, you just never saw it. When your shields popped and you took a couple more shots your health would go down, but you didn’t see that because it wasn’t visually represented. Over time it would regenerate but it took quite a while. Why not just visualize it so you can monitor it? I see no advantage to hiding your health bar.
>
> - Health promotes map movement. Yes, that’s right. Someone is more likely to move to find a health pack if they have low health because one well placed grenade spells curtains to anyone with full shields but low health.
>
> That’s the main reasons why I want health to stay in Halo. It just makes sense to me.
>
> Thoughts?

They won’t do this for several reasons.

Take a step back and realise the timeline of reach.
-In Halo 1 you needed Healthpacks because the Spartan armor couldn’t sustain multiple damages without it.
-In Halo 2, your armor started to ‘Upgrade’, meaning automatic shield recharge. Though your shield recharges,
the health itself was pretty low.
-In Halo 3, Your armor Upgraded even a bit more, Armor abilities are now introduced, with the bubble shield etc.

-In Halo Reach, the timeline is BEFORE ‘Halo 1’ which explains why you need Health Packs.
-If Halo 4 does indeed follow the reprecussions of its predecessor, then its guaranteed there will be no health packs.

Sorry(Not really, hate health packs)

I agree, but I think they should get rid of the semi-regenerating health from Reach in order to make health packs more significant.

> Obviously this is all opinion but I see a few threads calling for no more health bar and health packs and I strongly disagree and here is why:
>
> - Halo 3 (and I think Halo 2) did actually have a health system, you just never saw it. When your shields popped and you took a couple more shots your health would go down, but you didn’t see that because it wasn’t visually represented. Over time it would regenerate but it took quite a while. Why not just visualize it so you can monitor it? I see no advantage to hiding your health bar.
>
> - Health promotes map movement. Yes, that’s right. Someone is more likely to move to find a health pack if they have low health because one well placed grenade spells curtains to anyone with full shields but low health.
>
> That’s the main reasons why I want health to stay in Halo. It just makes sense to me.
>
> Thoughts?

I don’t want to kill someone and get weakened by them and then get killed by someone else because my health was lower even though I would of had the kill, had I full health.

No health packs, but if health is there, it should at least be shown, able to regen back to full or not.

health packs or not, I really don’t care one way or another, but there needs to be some visual representation of your health on-screen. Health bars tend to work well.

I like the idea of visible health, but I do not like health packs. Health packs may support map movement, but they also support camping.

I’m a CE advocate, but I personally like recharging health. I want to see the health bar, but I want it to recharge.

With respect, your second reason is only valid because of one of the biggest issues in Reach: the overpowered frag grenades.

That being said, if there is a visible health system, in should be entirely non-recharging.

i prefer halo2/3 style it seems more fair instead of getting weaker and weaker after each fight if u cant get a HP eventualy u get too weak for a fair fight and die

Health is another variable we can manipulate in Custom Games. Furthermore, I know quite a few Slayer Forgers who use Health Packs as a very powerful incentive for map movement, while simply designing their containing rooms to be disadvantageous for camping.

Health gives power to Custom Game designers and to Forgers. For that reason alone, it should be kept.

There shouldn’t really be any type of health pack system in Halo 4 due to the timeline but if there is then the game is gonna be questioned on whether to buy or not

Here is the single most important reason why I know it will not be in Halo 4:

343 respects cannon very much, and they wouldn’t go and downgrade the Mark VI’s health system. So really, I see this as a fact that we will be seeing Halo 3 style health in Halo 4.

> Obviously this is all opinion but I see a few threads calling for no more health bar and health packs and I strongly disagree and here is why:
>
> - Halo 3 (and I think Halo 2) did actually have a health system, you just never saw it. When your shields popped and you took a couple more shots your health would go down, but you didn’t see that because it wasn’t visually represented. Over time it would regenerate but it took quite a while. Why not just visualize it so you can monitor it? I see no advantage to hiding your health bar.
>
> - Health promotes map movement. Yes, that’s right. Someone is more likely to move to find a health pack if they have low health because one well placed grenade spells curtains to anyone with full shields but low health.
>
> That’s the main reasons why I want health to stay in Halo. It just makes sense to me.
>
> Thoughts?

The Health System in Reach is one of my favorite new changes. It let you know when you were about to die instead of just guessing like Halo 2, and 3. I think for Halo 4 the Heath Bar should make a return, but no more health packs. You have to go with logic and cannon on that one. In Halo 2 they introduced a new tech in the suits called “bio-foam” which healed the Chief to account for health regeneration.

For Halo 4 the Health Bar should make a return, although so should health regeneration as seen in previous Halo titles.

If your health didnt regenerate and you needed health packs it would break canon:
“The Mark VI armor contains automatic biofoam injectors, which negate the need for SPARTANs to use health packs.”
but i think it would be better if you could see how much health you had

I don’t care if health is visible or not, but I want it to recharge. Health packs do not make me feel like a powerful spartan, and they aren’t an incentive for me to move around the map.

Take Asylum/MLG Sanctuary for example. I always try to control Ring 2 and put shots on enemies so they are forced to stay back, allowing my teammates to come forward and put the pressure on them. If I take health damage and it doesn’t regenerate, I feel forced to give up map control and abandon my teammates just so I can dash back to my base to get a health pack. Now, you could say that health pack placement could be better, but regenerating health is a better choice and something that Halo 2 and 3 did right IMO.

> Health is another variable we can manipulate in Custom Games. Furthermore, I know quite a few Slayer Forgers who use Health Packs as a very powerful incentive for map movement, while simply designing their containing rooms to be disadvantageous for camping.
>
> Health gives power to Custom Game designers and to Forgers. For that reason alone, it should be kept.

Here’s the way I look at it… What is more of an incentive for map movement? Going to search for a health pack when you’re already hurt or going to get invis or os to give you an advantage? I like the idea of powerups causeing map movement more than health packs. Health Packs are risky and all it takes is a lucky nade from the grave to force someone to go find em. Health packs suck.

The Chief doesn’t need health packs.

> > Obviously this is all opinion but I see a few threads calling for no more health bar and health packs and I strongly disagree and here is why:
> >
> > - Halo 3 (and I think Halo 2) did actually have a health system, you just never saw it. When your shields popped and you took a couple more shots your health would go down, but you didn’t see that because it wasn’t visually represented. Over time it would regenerate but it took quite a while. Why not just visualize it so you can monitor it? I see no advantage to hiding your health bar.
> >
> > - Health promotes map movement. Yes, that’s right. Someone is more likely to move to find a health pack if they have low health because one well placed grenade spells curtains to anyone with full shields but low health.
> >
> > That’s the main reasons why I want health to stay in Halo. It just makes sense to me.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> They won’t do this for several reasons.
>
> Take a step back and realise the timeline of reach.
> -In Halo 1 you needed Healthpacks because the Spartan armor couldn’t sustain multiple damages without it.
> -In Halo 2, your armor started to ‘Upgrade’, meaning automatic shield recharge. Though your shield recharges,
> the health itself was pretty low.
> -In Halo 3, Your armor Upgraded even a bit more, Armor abilities are now introduced, with the bubble shield etc.
>
> -In Halo Reach, the timeline is BEFORE ‘Halo 1’ which explains why you need Health Packs.
> -If Halo 4 does indeed follow the reprecussions of its predecessor, then its guaranteed there will be no health packs.
>
> Sorry(Not really, hate health packs)

you do realize that he has had only two different armors and the timeline of the games is a few months right? On that note, at least let us see our health if anything. I prefer health packs, one of the things that made CE great.

I get frustrated by the whole “cannon” thing. I get the importance of sticking to it but they created that “cannon” simply for a design choice. I don’t think that’s reason enough to abandon it. There are other parts of the cannon that are more important by a long shot.

And I know someone mentioned that grenade spamming was the main reason why my second point (about map movement) is valid and I disagree. When someone has lower health because of a fight they will likely move to get a health pack, even if they do it will be easier to overtake them which clears them out and people are once again moving about.

I also get the whole thing about “what if I kill someone but because I lost my health now the next person has an advantage.” This goes back to map movement, you want to keep things even? Move and get health. Also FPS games for years before the era of recharging health had health systems where once you lost it that was it (take Counter Strike for example). It creates even more importance for playing skillfully and taking down your opponents without losing health. I do think that faster kill times would help that tho, which Halo CE had.