Why 343i's h5g map remixes replacing map remakes?

Typically in this era of the extended franchise online shooter the trend is to see old maps remade from game to game whether they are part of the game’s launch or it’s subsequent DLC.

343I has taken another route, a route which is different, this route is the map remix.

Halo 5 has map remixes instead of remakes, just think about it and let it settle in.

Hopefully 343I adds a heck of a lot more community forged remakes soon.

Its cheaper and less time consuming

> 2533274871929668;2:
> Its cheaper and less time consuming

The same has been said for map remakes.
It does seem like 343I treats old maps like lepers.
I mean they avoid using them like they have the plague or something.
Maybe there’s royalties or residuals for Bungie if old maps get reused?

> 2533274839169051;3:
> > 2533274871929668;2:
> > Its cheaper and less time consuming
>
>
> The same has been said for map remakes.
> It does seem like 343I treats old maps like lepers.
> I mean they avoid using them like they have the plague or something.
> Maybe there’s royalties or residuals for Bungie if old maps get reused?

Maybe because older maps wouldn’t work well without making them drastically different. Who cares anyways, almost all the remixes play differently from their parent map, isn’t that what matters most?

Also Forge has the capacity to remake maps, if you want a remake you can download it off the file browser. Hell you can even remake all the 343i made maps in forge too.

> 2717573882290912;4:
> > 2533274839169051;3:
> > > 2533274871929668;2:
> > > Its cheaper and less time consuming
> >
> >
> > The same has been said for map remakes.
> > It does seem like 343I treats old maps like lepers.
> > I mean they avoid using them like they have the plague or something.
> > Maybe there’s royalties or residuals for Bungie if old maps get reused?
>
>
> Maybe because older maps wouldn’t work well without making them drastically different. Who cares anyways, almost all the remixes play differently from their parent map, isn’t that what matters most?
>
> Also Forge has the capacity to remake maps, if you want a remake you can download it off the file browser. Hell you can even remake all the 343i made maps in forge too.

There are few old maps that can work adequately in H5. Hopefully 343I adds more community forged remakes into the Arena playlists.

> 2533274839169051;5:
> > 2717573882290912;4:
> > > 2533274839169051;3:
> > > > 2533274871929668;2:
> > > > Its cheaper and less time consuming
> > >
> > >
> > > The same has been said for map remakes.
> > > It does seem like 343I treats old maps like lepers.
> > > I mean they avoid using them like they have the plague or something.
> > > Maybe there’s royalties or residuals for Bungie if old maps get reused?
> >
> >
> > Maybe because older maps wouldn’t work well without making them drastically different. Who cares anyways, almost all the remixes play differently from their parent map, isn’t that what matters most?
> >
> > Also Forge has the capacity to remake maps, if you want a remake you can download it off the file browser. Hell you can even remake all the 343i made maps in forge too.
>
>
> There are few old maps that can work adequately in H5. Hopefully 343I adds more community forged remakes into the Arena playlists.

I feel like a remake of Hang Em High from CE would flow and play pretty well

Id rather have new remixes than remakes of remakes. I’d prefer brand soanking new maps above all else first tho.

> 2533274839169051;3:
> > 2533274871929668;2:
> > Its cheaper and less time consuming
>
>
> The same has been said for map remakes.
> It does seem like 343I treats old maps like lepers.
> I mean they avoid using them like they have the plague or something.
> Maybe there’s royalties or residuals for Bungie if old maps get reused?

from my understanding, 343 does not have the licenses for the old maps? weren’t those bungie made maps? wouldn’t they have to pay bungie to put tose makes in the game, it is far cheaper, to just double up on your own original map. (the reason truth was such a hype inclusion)

yes 343 ported up the master chief collection, but that is different then making a brand new game. i honestly don’t think they are legally allowed to.

of course this is just an assumption and not based on fact. so i could be completely wrong haha

I’d rather have remakes. Remixes are by far the laziest thing I’ve seen. Taking a map you made and changing to location and art style doesn’t change the map.

Remixes are quicker to make because much of the ground work in creating the space (in Halo 5’s architecture and engine and engineering etc) has been done, it’s just a matter of rearranging the space to make it different. For the most part, I think they’ve achieved that goal.

If remixes are a crucial component of giving us the most diverse map offering in Halo’s history, without having to spend an additional dime on it and ensuring I get to play newly released maps outside an arbitrarily created DLC playlist, I’ll take it. This rainbows and unicorns dreaming that we get brand new developed maps for any and every playlist imagined without any of the drawbacks of previous DLC plans is silly.

I like remakes. I’ve got nothing wrong with them. Halo has had some amazing maps. Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike coming with almost every map from the previous games(The fan favourite maps atleast) along with new maps. Imagine CS shipping without Dust 2?

> 2533274814409629;6:
> > 2533274839169051;5:
> > > 2717573882290912;4:
> > > > 2533274839169051;3:
> > > > > 2533274871929668;2:
> > > > > Its cheaper and less time consuming
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > The same has been said for map remakes.
> > > > It does seem like 343I treats old maps like lepers.
> > > > I mean they avoid using them like they have the plague or something.
> > > > Maybe there’s royalties or residuals for Bungie if old maps get reused?
> > >
> > >
> > > Maybe because older maps wouldn’t work well without making them drastically different. Who cares anyways, almost all the remixes play differently from their parent map, isn’t that what matters most?
> > >
> > > Also Forge has the capacity to remake maps, if you want a remake you can download it off the file browser. Hell you can even remake all the 343i made maps in forge too.
> >
> >
> > There are few old maps that can work adequately in H5. Hopefully 343I adds more community forged remakes into the Arena playlists.
>
>
> I feel like a remake of Hang Em High from CE would flow and play pretty well

You’re joking, right? Like, you’ve got to be absolutely kidding me here. Of all the maps, Hang Em High is probably the one that would suffer the MOST from Halo 5’s weapons.

The pistol is capable of shooting across almost any map with damn good accuracy. The BR and DMR shoot even farther. The range on the automatics is insane. The projectiles from Promethean weapons track your movements better than a self-guided missile from 007 Nightfire.

You would literally spawn in the open, walk 5 feet, then die from someone who is on the high ground.

And what map remixes do we actually have? The only thing that’s close to a remix are the warzone assault maps being remixes of warzone. I’m just happy that the fifth warzone assault map won’t be a remix.
343 industries has done a good job making new maps otherwise.

I think the maps in Swat are complete garbage. That being said it’s annoying when each season they get worse and worse…

> 2533274967369999;13:
> And what map remixes do we actually have? The only thing that’s close to a remix are the warzone assault maps being remixes of warzone. I’m just happy that the fifth warzone assault map won’t be a remix.
> 343 industries has done a good job making new maps otherwise.

Are you -Yoinking!- joking or trolling? Or both? Honestly I’m curious I’m not trying to be offensive

Overgrowth - remix of plaza (and worst map in the history of gaming, I hate overgrowth more than anything in this game even Spartan charge but I digress)
Riptide - remix of Fathom
Stasis - remix of Torque
Molten - remix of the Rig, probably

the ONLY new maps 343i have made for arena are Torque and Tyrant - and torque is mostly bad (though I liked it more than the crap remixes and liked that it was a bit bigger), and Tyrant I actually love cuz it feels like a Halo CE, but it’s not in team arena… I’m really excited about the update and Stasis is the first truly good update map they’ve made in my opinion. But get your facts straight, 343i is OBSESSED with remixing maps. It’s odd because Truth is a REMAKE, not a remix, that is tweaked to work with H5, and its one of the few maps that are successful…

Based on The Sprint series before the game launched, the remixes of maps was something they wanted to try out with Halo 5. However, due to the poor reception of these maps in general from the community they will probably ditch the concept in Halo 6.

Imo the main problem with H5 is that none of the maps are memorable. It has the worst and most forgettable maps in Halo history.

> 2533274827519891;8:
> > 2533274839169051;3:
> > > 2533274871929668;2:
> > > Its cheaper and less time consuming
> >
> >
> > The same has been said for map remakes.
> > It does seem like 343I treats old maps like lepers.
> > I mean they avoid using them like they have the plague or something.
> > Maybe there’s royalties or residuals for Bungie if old maps get reused?
>
>
> from my understanding, 343 does not have the licenses for the old maps? weren’t those bungie made maps? wouldn’t they have to pay bungie to put tose makes in the game, it is far cheaper, to just double up on your own original map. (the reason truth was such a hype inclusion)
>
> yes 343 ported up the master chief collection, but that is different then making a brand new game. i honestly don’t think they are legally allowed to.
>
> of course this is just an assumption and not based on fact. so i could be completely wrong haha

No, Microsoft owned Bungie and now own Halo. I don’t see how people still don’t realise this.

> 2533274919210647;15:
> > 2533274967369999;13:
> > And what map remixes do we actually have? The only thing that’s close to a remix are the warzone assault maps being remixes of warzone. I’m just happy that the fifth warzone assault map won’t be a remix.
> > 343 industries has done a good job making new maps otherwise.
>
>
> Are you -Yoinking!- joking or trolling? Or both? Honestly I’m curious I’m not trying to be offensive
>
> Overgrowth - remix of plaza (and worst map in the history of gaming, I hate overgrowth more than anything in this game even Spartan charge but I digress)
> Riptide - remix of Fathom
> Stasis - remix of Torque
> Molten - remix of the Rig, probably

I knew the “Remix Haters” would be out in force with Molten being announced. You can stop now, because The Rig is a remix of Molten, you have been playing on a remix since launch!

> 2702159776439619;19:
> > 2533274919210647;15:
> > > 2533274967369999;13:
> > > And what map remixes do we actually have? The only thing that’s close to a remix are the warzone assault maps being remixes of warzone. I’m just happy that the fifth warzone assault map won’t be a remix.
> > > 343 industries has done a good job making new maps otherwise.
> >
> >
> > Are you -Yoinking!- joking or trolling? Or both? Honestly I’m curious I’m not trying to be offensive
> >
> > Overgrowth - remix of plaza (and worst map in the history of gaming, I hate overgrowth more than anything in this game even Spartan charge but I digress)
> > Riptide - remix of Fathom
> > Stasis - remix of Torque
> > Molten - remix of the Rig, probably
>
>
> I knew the “Remix Haters” would be out in force with Molten being announced. You can stop now, because The Rig is a remix of Molten, you have been playing on a remix since launch!

I knew a silly 343i supporter was going to isolate parts of my post and use it as a way to try and incite something. Next is going to come the defense of “oh I stopped reading the whole post because you’re obviously hating” but here’s what I actually said - I said those maps ARE in fact remixes, I said that I personally hate overgrowth, not because it’s a remix but because it’s a miserable excuse for a map - my personal opinion. It doesn’t matter that the Rig is a remix, because even though it’s competitive it’s one of my personal least favorites. I also said that I had positive feelings towards this update because Stasis is actually an improvement. Next time you try to be clever, please read the whole post and take it in. The point was that there are too many remixes when the demand is there for remakes, which is something the forums have been buzzing about. I’m glad you’re ok with 343 being cheap and dumping remixes into the game, but I am not when such a thing as high citadel and narrows exist in forge and are simply FANTASTIC, both in build quality and how they work with halo 5 gameplay. That being said, those of us that do not support 343 decisions can still be capable of excitement for new content, which the game has been lacking and desperately needs! Thank you, ffs:)