Why 343i should Unbalance weapons in Halo 4...

I know, most of you have probably discounted me completely from the title alone, but hear me out…

From all of the Halo games I have played (all except for 2, I just missed it is all), I have found that two of those 3 (CE and 3) were based on a tiered weapon system, where you picked up better weapons as the game progressed. If you played your cards right, didn’t miss your headshots, killed the right people, and took their weapons, there was no glass ceiling! Dual wielding would be my best example of this, because it was the easiest way to advance a tier.

Reach was the only game where you almost never needed to trade up weapons. I would say that where older Halo games had a tiered system for its weapons, Reach had a class based system where all weapons had a niche where they dominated. The weapons were all designed with specific ranges and purposes in mind (whether or not the designs succeeded is the subject of a different thread), and it was fun, but it wasn’t the same Halo experience that we all grew up with.

I expect to get some hate for this link, but I really think that re-implementing a tiered system to default gameplay would make people happy in the long run.

…No, I think I’d prefer a balanced sandbox where all weapons placed on the map are viable and where it isn’t always the best idea to drop the Plasma Rifle for the Rockets every single time.

I think you mixed Reach and CE up. I can dominate any range with a DMR, but I actually picked up a Plasma Rifle and Shotgun in CE.

I think that the assault rifle deserves more power.

You missed Halo 2?! It had the best varied sandbox in the series. It was fantastic.

All weapons need to be balanced except power weapons.

Dang, i think i thanked everyone who posted here lol

> You missed Halo 2?! It had the best varied sandbox in the series. It was fantastic.

BR&Snipes > All
You’re viewing Halo 2 through rose-tinted glasses.

> I think you mixed Reach and CE up. I can dominate any range with a DMR, but I actually picked up a Plasma Rifle and Shotgun in CE.

Could you dominate a person wielding an AR who got the drop on you? The DMR is pretty effective at most ranges, but not usually at really close (but not melee close) ranges. If you were playing Halo 3 and were moderately efficient with a BR, it wouldn’t even matter if the AR got the drop on you.

Plus, The reason I would think that you picked up those two weapons was that both of them were better than the AR, one with its range and the other with its power. Would you pick up a plasma pistol in CE over a magnum? I don’t know about you, but I sure wouldn’t.

Balance is important in every aspect of life even in the thing we deem meaningless, and unimportant.

Equilibrium is vital to the success of almost everything you will ever encounter, and saying it should not be present is chaotic, naive, and ridiculous.

I am sorry but I can not take the OP serious.

> …No, I think I’d prefer a balanced sandbox where all weapons placed on the map are viable and where it isn’t always the best idea to drop the Plasma Rifle for the Rockets every single time.

I don’t think I have ever played a Halo game where I would have done that! I see where you are going, but the Plasma Rifle with Rockets? I respect your moxy!

> Would you pick up a plasma pistol in CE over a magnum? I don’t know about you, but I sure wouldn’t.

That’s because it’s the utility. It wouldn’t be logical to not pick it up. However, the difference is that you can still pick up that Plasma Pistol or Plasma Rifle and still beat a Magnum user within a reasonable margin of success, if used correctly.

That’s the difference between CE’s balance and the latter games.

> > You missed Halo 2?! It had the best varied sandbox in the series. It was fantastic.
>
> BR&Snipes > All
> You’re viewing Halo 2 through rose-tinted glasses.

Matchmaking =/= the whole game.

You’re viewing Halo 2 through a tunnel. My “rose-tinted glasses” are contact lenses.

> > …No, I think I’d prefer a balanced sandbox where all weapons placed on the map are viable and where it isn’t always the best idea to drop the Plasma Rifle for the Rockets every single time.
>
> I don’t think I have ever played a Halo game where I would have done that! I see where you are going, but the Plasma Rifle with Rockets? I respect your moxy!

I have. It was necessary. The CE Rockets fired significantly slower than the Rockets of the latter games, and it was important that I stun the two guys heading into the room (was playing on Chill Out) rather than hope I could fire the second Rocket in time.

Maybe I was unclear,

I meant unbalanced when compared to other weapons, not the overall experience.

The gaps between tiers should be small, and the difference between most weapons will be small for most weapons. It is just common sense that a well used dual pistols will beat an AR, a well used BR will beat dual pistols, a brute shot will beat a BR but not have much ammo, and a skilled sniper will probably even beat someone with a Rocket Launcher.

> > I think you mixed Reach and CE up. I can dominate any range with a DMR, but I actually picked up a Plasma Rifle and Shotgun in CE.
>
> Could you dominate a person wielding an AR who got the drop on you? The DMR is pretty effective at most ranges, but not usually at really close (but not melee close) ranges. If you were playing Halo 3 and were moderately efficient with a BR, it wouldn’t even matter if the AR got the drop on you.
>
> Plus, The reason I would think that you picked up those two weapons was that both of them were better than the AR, one with its range and the other with its power. Would you pick up a plasma pistol in CE over a magnum? I don’t know about you, but I sure wouldn’t.

The Pistol in CE was a utility weapon. I wouldn’t drop it because it is so useful.

I can dominate an AR with a DMR, regardless if he got the drop or not. Unless he was able to shoot for a substantial amount of time before I am able to get my shots off. In that case, that is like trying to get into a DMR battle one-shot.

> > > You missed Halo 2?! It had the best varied sandbox in the series. It was fantastic.
> >
> > BR&Snipes > All
> > You’re viewing Halo 2 through rose-tinted glasses.
>
> Matchmaking =/= the whole game.
>
> You’re viewing Halo 2 through a tunnel. My “rose-tinted glasses” are contact lenses.

PvE when discussing weapon balance is irrelevant.

> Maybe I was unclear,
>
> I meant unbalanced when compared to other weapons, not the overall experience.
>
> The gaps between tiers should be small, and the difference between most weapons will be small for most weapons. It is just common sense that a well used dual pistols will beat an AR, a well used BR will beat dual pistols, a brute shot will beat a BR but not have much ammo, and a skilled sniper will probably even beat someone with a Rocket Launcher.

the only tiers there should be in the game is that which separates the Utilities from the power weapons from the general sandbox. The utilities are the most versatile weapons in the game and the most skilled weapons in the game, the general sandbox supplements the faults of the utilities, and the power weapons are low ammunition, high damage weapons that are also separated into both range niches and situation niches. Not one should be more viable than the other, but, instead, it should depend on the strategy one’s team takes as well as what the map provides as far as weapon placement and terrain.

> > Would you pick up a plasma pistol in CE over a magnum? I don’t know about you, but I sure wouldn’t.
>
> That’s because it’s the utility. It wouldn’t be logical to not pick it up. However, the difference is that you can still pick up that Plasma Pistol or Plasma Rifle and still beat a Magnum user within a reasonable margin of success, if used correctly.
>
> That’s the difference between CE’s balance and the latter games.

That’s my point! Most Halo games work on the basis that you will ditch you utility weapon for a better one. If you find another, even better weapon, you will pick it up, right? Not all weapons will be on different tiers, and similar tiers is where skill and proficiency really shines. I’m also not saying it will be impossible to kill higher tier weapons, you just won’t beat them head-on with a utility weapon.

> > > > You missed Halo 2?! It had the best varied sandbox in the series. It was fantastic.
> > >
> > > BR&Snipes > All
> > > You’re viewing Halo 2 through rose-tinted glasses.
> >
> > Matchmaking =/= the whole game.
> >
> > You’re viewing Halo 2 through a tunnel. My “rose-tinted glasses” are contact lenses.
>
> PvE when discussing weapon balance is irrelevant.

I destroyed everyone with the Carbine and/or Plasma rifle… I rarely used the BR.

> > > Would you pick up a plasma pistol in CE over a magnum? I don’t know about you, but I sure wouldn’t.
> >
> > That’s because it’s the utility. It wouldn’t be logical to not pick it up. However, the difference is that you can still pick up that Plasma Pistol or Plasma Rifle and still beat a Magnum user within a reasonable margin of success, if used correctly.
> >
> > That’s the difference between CE’s balance and the latter games.
>
> That’s my point! Most Halo games work on the basis that you will ditch you utility weapon for a better one.

You don’t ditch the utility, you find another weapon to supplement its faults.