Why 343 Won't Add Firefight

This is all conjecture so I could be totally off-base here.

Back when I was playing Halo Reach online, there was matchmaking for firefight. I wasn’t really into firefight, but it was a good mode for mindless fun. However the pool of players in firefight matchmaking was almost always under 1000, usually around the 400 mark if I remember correctly. Why does this matter? Because 343 is numbers based.

When 343 was talking about removing splitscreen from the game, they were primarily focused on the number of people actually playing couch co-op. This number, apparently wasn’t too big. So it was axed, despite the huge backlash they received from the community. Sure they had other reasons for doing this such as 60 fps, but primarily it would seem they were looking at the number of players actually using splitscreen.

I remember reading how so few players actually finish campaign’s in video games these days. It’s why the current trend in FPS and other popular games is a total removal of campaign, single-player focused modes. Multiplayer simply brings in the numbers. And campaign and other single player modes are simply too expensive and time-consuming for the amount of people playing them.

So 343 looked at the data for firefight and decided it simply wasn’t worth their time due to how little people played it. No matter how beloved it was, the number of firefight fans was likely low in contrast to how many people were playing slayer.

Thoughts?

Personally, I’ve been playing since Christmas, and I’m probably going to stop soon, due to no good PvE mode. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy a bit of arena from time to time, as well as playing Warzone a little bit, but there just is nothing to do if you just want to chill out and slay some AI. I’m not a particularly competitive person when playing solo (which is most of the time), and Warzone just doesn’t do it for me.

I understand that a low player count is a legitimate reason for dropping a gamemode from subsequent releases, but the majority of the people I know are crying for Firefight to come back, and I sincerely hope it does in some form or another, whether it be a mode for Warzone or Firefight itself.

> 2533274905455351;2:
> Personally, I’ve been playing since Christmas, and I’m probably going to stop soon, due to no good PvE mode. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy a bit of arena from time to time, as well as playing Warzone a little bit, but there just is nothing to do if you just want to chill out and slay some AI. I’m not a particularly competitive person when playing solo (which is most of the time), and Warzone just doesn’t do it for me.
>
> I understand that a low player count is a legitimate reason for dropping a gamemode from subsequent releases, but the majority of the people I know are crying for Firefight to come back, and I sincerely hope it does in some form or another, whether it be Ia mode for Warzone or Firefight itself.

I hope for PVE too! I’m pretty sure a more PVE focused Warzone is in the works as so many people, myself included, are clamouring for it. I’m just speculating why a separate firefight mode wasn’t launched with the game

I think Halo is slightly different due to its IP and therefore campaign does draw numbers.

Also, single player campaigns do tend to get more focus in trailers; with Halo this was especially true. They wouldn’t advertise using the campaign if it wasn’t a selling point.

IMO its because Spartan Ops was a flop and they moved away from it as a result.

I have gone back to reach as its on the one now, haven’t been happier, apart from that frame rate…

> 2535451141053300;3:
> > 2533274905455351;2:
> > Personally, I’ve been playing since Christmas, and I’m probably going to stop soon, due to no good PvE mode. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy a bit of arena from time to time, as well as playing Warzone a little bit, but there just is nothing to do if you just want to chill out and slay some AI. I’m not a particularly competitive person when playing solo (which is most of the time), and Warzone just doesn’t do it for me.
> >
> > I understand that a low player count is a legitimate reason for dropping a gamemode from subsequent releases, but the majority of the people I know are crying for Firefight to come back, and I sincerely hope it does in some form or another, whether it be Ia mode for Warzone or Firefight itself.
>
>
> I hope for PVE too! I’m pretty sure a more PVE focused Warzone is in the works as so many people, myself included, are clamouring for it. I’m just speculating why a separate firefight mode wasn’t launched with the game

I do have high hopes of a PvE oriented Warzone being implemented too, and will most definitely play a LOT more if/when it arrives.

Low player count seems a pretty legitimate reason I guess. Unfortunately, seeing as a variety of traditional gamemodes weren’t included at launch either, my guess is either cost-cutting or too strict deadlines for release. If they couldn’t include things like Oddball/ KoTH, (fairly simplistic gamemodes) then an entire Firefight gamemode was definitely off the cards for launch.

I’m still annoyed that race has been missed out for two games in a row. Race was another gamemode I used to chill out after ‘arena’ sessions in reach, whilst still being able to play Halo, but alas, missing yet again. A lot of really cool racetracks being made in forge (just like Halo 4), but no race gamemode. :confused:

> 2535451141053300;3:
> > 2533274905455351;2:
> > Personally, I’ve been playing since Christmas, and I’m probably going to stop soon, due to no good PvE mode. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy a bit of arena from time to time, as well as playing Warzone a little bit, but there just is nothing to do if you just want to chill out and slay some AI. I’m not a particularly competitive person when playing solo (which is most of the time), and Warzone just doesn’t do it for me.
> >
> > I understand that a low player count is a legitimate reason for dropping a gamemode from subsequent releases, but the majority of the people I know are crying for Firefight to come back, and I sincerely hope it does in some form or another, whether it be Ia mode for Warzone or Firefight itself.
>
>
> I hope for PVE too! I’m pretty sure a more PVE focused Warzone is in the works as so many people, myself included, are clamouring for it. I’m just speculating why a separate firefight mode wasn’t launched with the game

Perhaps a Warzone game mode focused on killing AI? Like just one team of 16 fighting off waves of enemies while using REQs?

> 2535423158046459;7:
> > 2535451141053300;3:
> > > 2533274905455351;2:
> > > Personally, I’ve been playing since Christmas, and I’m probably going to stop soon, due to no good PvE mode. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy a bit of arena from time to time, as well as playing Warzone a little bit, but there just is nothing to do if you just want to chill out and slay some AI. I’m not a particularly competitive person when playing solo (which is most of the time), and Warzone just doesn’t do it for me.
> > >
> > > I understand that a low player count is a legitimate reason for dropping a gamemode from subsequent releases, but the majority of the people I know are crying for Firefight to come back, and I sincerely hope it does in some form or another, whether it be Ia mode for Warzone or Firefight itself.
> >
> >
> > I hope for PVE too! I’m pretty sure a more PVE focused Warzone is in the works as so many people, myself included, are clamouring for it. I’m just speculating why a separate firefight mode wasn’t launched with the game
>
>
> Perhaps a Warzone game mode focused on killing AI? Like just one team of 16 fighting off waves of enemies while using REQs?

I’d definitely be up for something like this. I’m not sure a 24 player vs AI would be feasible :stuck_out_tongue: Anywhere between 6-16 people seems about right to me.

> 2535451141053300;1:
> This is all conjecture so I could be totally off-base here.
>
> Back when I was playing Halo Reach online, there was matchmaking for firefight. I wasn’t really into firefight, but it was a good mode for mindless fun. However the pool of players in firefight matchmaking was almost always under 1000, usually around the 400 mark if I remember correctly. Why does this matter? Because 343 is numbers based.
>
> When 343 was talking about removing splitscreen from the game, they were primarily focused on the number of people actually playing couch co-op. This number, apparently wasn’t too big. So it was axed, despite the huge backlash they received from the community. Sure they had other reasons for doing this such as 60 fps, but primarily it would seem they were looking at the number of players actually using splitscreen.
>
> I remember reading how so few players actually finish campaign’s in video games these days. It’s why the current trend in FPS and other popular games is a total removal of campaign, single-player focused modes. Multiplayer simply brings in the numbers. And campaign and other single player modes are simply too expensive and time-consuming for the amount of people playing them.
>
> So 343 looked at the data for firefight and decided it simply wasn’t worth their time due to how little people played it. No matter how beloved it was, the number of firefight fans was likely low in contrast to how many people were playing slayer.
>
> Thoughts?

You are probably right, but unfortunately I’m one of calculated losses.

I have not yet purchased Halo 5, primarily because of no Firefight (there’s a few other reasons such as no split-screen etc, but the primary reason is a lack of a PvE mode outside of campaign). I’ll be picking it up eventually to play through the campaign once it goes on a decent sale (50% or so). I have no interest in any Halo PvP modes anymore other than the rare LAN party.

Until I can pick up Halo 5 on a good sale, we now have Halo: Reach on the One with backwards compatibility, and I’ll be going back to that and MCC campaign. I even still occasionally fire up the 360 for ODST Firefight, loved that game mode. Was a huge disappointment when that wasn’t included in the ODST DLC for MCC.

You could be right, but then again they may be more about introducing new game play experiences like WarZone instead of going back and repeating a previous idea that was fun at the time.

I’m all about Firefight so I think it would be cool, but I don’t blame 343 for not doing it just b/c it’s in Reach & ODST.

This is all very true… and it’s very, very worrying to me personally. They’ll probably base the decisions on people who don’t know what made halo great, and that troubles me.

I agree, firefight was popular in ODST but not in REACH, I personally loved it in reach, that is where I would practice my no scoping without acting like a fool in Team Snipers!

EDIT: Also, this may not be so true, some of the most populated playlists ever were BTB and Infection, in Halo 5 we got BTB a month late and we still don’t have Infection!

I really hope they do bring a Warzone: Firefight to H5 before the year ends. Sounds incredibly fun