Why 343 should bring Firefight Limited back

> Early last week the Firefight Limited playlist was removed from Halo: Reach’s online matchmaking. Although 343 Industries could not be reached for comment, the reasons for its removal were an obvious lack of players. At any given time, Firefight Limited saw only a few hundred players in it.
>
> It is a real shame that Firefight Limited had to be removed as it was the only “true” mode of Firefight. While it was the least played of any of the Firefight modes, the people who did play it were the most passionate about it.

Full Article

I do wish they would bring limited back, it was a fun game type. Sure it took more skill and effort but isn’t that what firefight was for? Arcade gets old after a while when your able to blast a chieftain to the moon with a rocket, but there’s no true effort put into it. I just get more out of FF if me and my team pull off a perfectly executed plan, you get that feeling of achievement that arcade doesn’t give you.

I guess the creation of the Arcade playlist was made by Bungie to try to fix the incredible amount of players who idled in this playlist all the time. Arcade was a way to put in the same bucket bad players, idlers and generally people that sucks at firefight.

It has a low population so they removed it. But it wasn’t broken. Now I only can play matchmaking FFL alone or in Team Doubles hoping the other player votes for limited too. So basically it sucks. This made me change my mind about buyin Halo Anniversary on day one (the kinect exclusivity analize mode was a dumb idea but It didn’t pissed me like this) because it brings a new FF map and I don’t want to not be able to enjoy it as I have with FF and its maps (including defiant) during this past year. I hope 343i announces news for the FF playlist soon.

I am deeply disappointed by the decision to pull 4x Firefight Limited. The decision has caused me to play a lot less and enjoy my games less. I recognize that the number of players in that mode had been relatively small, but there were consistently people playing and I almost never had to wait more than 30 seconds to get 1-3 partners assigned. In FFL, getting to the end of a set or even running out the clock felt like a real achievement. Tactics and teamwork were required and rewarded. One thing that might have attracted some more players to this playlist would have been a real credit bonus for teams that finished a set.

As noted above, the only matchmade FFL mode now available is in Firefight Doubles. I have tried this repeatedly and have usually left frustrated. Matchmaking seems to take as long or longer than for 4x FFL. In at least three quarters of my games, my partner quits before the game ends, even if he or she chose the scenario. Playing arcadefight, which seems to be the game that most players choose, is like playing with cheat codes on. There is almost never a situation that arises that can’t be handled by charging in and shooting as much of my infinite heavy weapon ammunition as possible while counting on my overshield to protect me. And if I die, I have unlimited lives to respawn with. Boring. At the end of 20 minutes, I get to count my kills and see how many times my partner died before he quit. Yawn.

I implore 343 to bring some FFL modes back for Halo Anniversary. While they would probably remain niche modes, they would pull a significant and loyal community of fans together.

True but firefight limited was only played on Heroic, making it impossible to kill any enemies. And for someone who just wants to play for fun, well, there is no fun in that . Plus all the objective game modes they had where also impossible.

> True but firefight limited was only played on Heroic, making it impossible to kill any enemies. And for someone who just wants to play for fun, well, there is no fun in that . Plus all the objective game modes they had where also impossible.

Get better at Halo.

Anyway, all Arcade ever boiled down to was just a giant points farm. You don’t even need to try. It’s just a grind to get your daily challenges.

Bring Limited back, which was the ONLY co-op Firefight playlist that required any kind of skill.

It wouldn’t have been removed if it weren’t on the bottom of the Totem Pole. Sure, it will disappoint some, but the playlist cap is what ultimately led to it’s demise. Hard decisions are hard. But in this case the numbers did the talking.

Clearly, someone hasn’t been paying attention. 343 will not be bringing back FFL any time soon, no matter how much people want it. It is currently physically impossible. There may be a chance after HCEA and H4 come out, and they realize there’s a playlist that’s even less popular than FFL was.

Also, doesn’t the default local “Firefight” mode play like FFL? If you have friends who love FFL, why do you need matchmaking; especially since you’re not guaranteed to get a competent random player? If it’s about the stats, then it’s not really about the game.

Instead of wishing for FFL to come back, this thread should be about bringing FFL players together so that the MM playlist is unnecessary.

1. List you gamertags
  2. Make friend requests
  3. Play firefight to your hearts’ content
  4. ???
  5. Profit

I can’t say I don’t understand the reasoning behind removing FFL, I just think that reasoning is out of place with most of what 343 has been doing lately. They take all this time and effort to tweak armor lock, bloom, AC, and some other random things in the name of satisfying a group of the community that wanted a more skill based halo experience (and sure, I was more or less one of them), but then go and remove the only firefight mode that required ANY skill?

I mean, let’s be honest, firefight was created as a survival mode. Anyone who played ODST knows this. Why put firefight in Reach, call it “Firefight 2.0”, and then make it a complete rocket spam fest/ credit boost paradise. Not trying to hate on arcade too much, because sure I’ll use it to get some easy challenges out of the way, but other than that it just simply bored me to tears. I know everyone has their own opinion and some may enjoy arcade. Not trying to say your opinion is stupid.

What I am saying is Limited was the only playlist that actually played like firefight was designed and envisioned to play; as a survival mode that took skill. As the article from the OP said, unlike those who played arcade, the people in limited were extremely passionate about it because they didn’t play it to earn easy credits, they played it because they wanted a challenge. They wanted to actually test their skills. My playtime was about 50% MP matchmaking and 50% Limted, so I am extremely disappointed at this.

Sorry for the rant and I know I’m speaking for a minority of players here, but this just really pisses me off.

> Clearly, someone hasn’t been paying attention. 343 will not be bringing back FFL any time soon, no matter how much people want it. It is currently physically impossible. There may be a chance after HCEA and H4 come out, and they realize there’s a playlist that’s even less popular than FFL was.
>
> Also, doesn’t the default local “Firefight” mode play like FFL? If you have friends who love FFL, why do you need matchmaking; especially since you’re not guaranteed to get a competent random player? If it’s about the stats, then it’s not really about the game.
>
> Instead of wishing for FFL to come back, this thread should be about bringing FFL players together so that the MM playlist is unnecessary.
>
> 1. List you gamertags
> 2. Make friend requests
> 3. Play firefight to your hearts’ content
> 4. ???
> 5. Profit

I don’t want to find friends who I know won’t play FFL unless it gave credits that can’t even manage to get any kills besides with the rockets. Then again people would actually do custom ff games if they didn’t have such a low CR cap as even people who play for “fun” play just for credits. I totally agree with your idea but without credits, I don’t see it happening.

> Clearly, someone hasn’t been paying attention. 343 will not be bringing back FFL any time soon, no matter how much people want it. It is currently physically impossible. There may be a chance after HCEA and H4 come out, and they realize there’s a playlist that’s even less popular than FFL was.
>
> Also, doesn’t the default local “Firefight” mode play like FFL? If you have friends who love FFL, why do you need matchmaking; especially since you’re not guaranteed to get a competent random player? If it’s about the stats, then it’s not really about the game.
>
> Instead of wishing for FFL to come back, this thread should be about bringing FFL players together so that the MM playlist is unnecessary.
>
> 1. List you gamertags
> 2. Make friend requests
> 3. Play firefight to your hearts’ content
> 4. ???
> 5. Profit

Except this was the idea behind ODST’s Firefight, and unless everyone has the same schedules or a giant list of friends always wanting to play Firefight, we rarely actually got to play. That is why that idea was stupid, and Bungie, realizing that, added matchmaking for Firefight, and the old Firefight players who were sick to death of the old system breathed a collective sigh of relief.

Then 343 blunders along and removes it.

> What I am saying is Limited was the only playlist that actually played like firefight was designed and envisioned to play; as a survival mode that took skill. As the article from the OP said, unlike those who played arcade, the people in limited were extremely passionate about it because they didn’t play it to earn easy credits, they played it because they wanted a challenge. They wanted to actually test their skills. My playtime was about 50% MP matchmaking and 50% Limted, so I am extremely disappointed at this.
>
> Sorry for the rant and I know I’m speaking for a minority of players here, but this just really pisses me off.

EXACTLY. I bought all the armor I ever planned to use ages ago. I have almost 500K credits sitting in the bank collecting dust. I’m not grinding for credits, I want to play for fun and fun alone. And FF Limited was perfect for that.

FF Limited was FAR better than it was at launch because everyone playing to do challenges and boost credits goes into Arcade. Nobody except people who actually want to play Limited were in Limited, so the past couple of months you got good games 90% of the time.

343 is not coming off my blacklist until Classic Firefight with matchmaking comes back in one form or another.

> 343 is not coming off my blacklist until Classic Firefight with matchmaking comes back in one form or another.

I’m sure they’re just absolutely terrified.

Also (as has already been said), anyone who is “passionate” about FFL doesn’t care about the credits. They play, regardless. Therefore, if you band together, you can at least play some FFL, which is better than none at all. What’s more, you can modify it any way you please. That’s why it’s still there, in the main menu- as opposed to being only in matchmaking.

The only reason any FFL enthusiast would oppose this idea is because he’s too lazy to take action and remedy the situation. He would much rather sit on his haunches and complain, expecting 343 to fix everything just the way he likes it.

Stop making futile “Bring back FFL” posts and do something! A solution, however inferior, is not outside your abilities.

They should bring it back with increased credit payouts and more credits for the longer you survive.