Who will die in Halo 5: Guardians?

Before I get into why I believe Dr. Halsey will die in Halo 5, here are some of the main characters who have died in previous Halo games:

Halo: CE- Captain Keys

Halo 2- Tartarus, Prophet of Regret, Prophet of Mercy

Halo 3- Sergeant Johnson, Miranda Keys, Prophet of Truth, 343 Guilty Spark, Gravemind(?)

Halo Wars- Arbiter Ripa 'Moramee, Sergeant Forge

Halo: Reach- Carter, Kat, Emile, Jorge, Noble 6.

Halo 4- Cortana, Ur Didact (presumably).

So what we basically know is that 343i (and Bungie) aren’t afraid to kill off main characters, and usually kill a few each game. So, if I had to pick one I’d go with Dr Halsey.
This is because she is old and frail, she only has one arm (which is possibly infected), she is hit-listed by the UNSC (and ONI), she is arguably now an antagonist, and her desire for knowledge usually puts her in bad situations.
Also, if the Janus key parts are joined up again and all the Forerunner secrets and locations are finally revealed, than her character may no longer be too relevant for the series.
Also, if Cortana comes back to life, I think we’ll definitely see the end of Halsey- simply because they’re too similar, and there would be no need for both of them in the games.

(If I had to pick a second character, I’d go with an antagonist, most likely Jul 'Mdama, or ONI’s Serin Osman).

Who do you think & why?

The Chief will definitely die quite a few times when I play through the Campaign.

But all jokes aside, considering that H5 will apparently be the darkest Halo in the series, there is the possibility that a character close to us, likely also close to the Chief is going to die.
But I can’t see who that could really be.

Bringing the Arbiter back only to kill him off at the end wouldn’t seem right to me. It would be too quick.
Halsey’s death would definitely have a massive impact, on the fanbase as well as on the Chief, especially when she would die right in front of him or in his arms or something along those lines.
But I would believe 343i has more plans with her character than to simply killing her off in the up-coming game. After all she is one of the most vital and best developed ones. I think it would be a waste to lose such a character, considering we’ve already lost one of those kinds with Cortana.

I don’t know. Like I’ve touched on we’ve just lost Cortana. Perhaps for another main Character’s death it is too soon.
So eventually I would go with no main character will die.

Guilty Spark isn’t dead. Neither is the Didact.

I don’t think killing Halsey is the best idea, considering all of the negative reception to the Halsey bashing in Kilo-5, and given that she just lost her arm. Similarly, Frank O’Connor has stated, that the Halsey situation will see some improvements in the near future. I don’t think killing her off is a very smart way to convey said improvements.

I agree with Swift, i don’t think any character will die, but i will predict humanity will be suffering devastating losses, either at the hands of the Flood, or other means, but no deaths to any real, major characters just yet.

The Didact was narrating in the epilogue; he isn’t dead.

If 343 killed off Cortana in Halo 4, which was supposed to have the lightest tone in the trilogy, then nobody but Chief is safe, and even he could snuff it at the end of Halo 6. I wouldn’t be surprised if no major characters make it through.

> The Didact was narrating in the epilogue; he isn’t dead.

Didact’s speech in the epilogue has been officially confirmed to take place somewhere before the Halo’s fired. (to many people’s surprise and my satisfying affirmation)

But regardless of that he is still alive, what has been confirmed as well.

Hmm… it’s an interesting question. Once 343i said that they want to show us new character/s that they made. And in H4 there were many new character and I think they need time to show us more than we see up to now.
Chief, Arbiter and maybe Locke definetely wont die in H5G.(max in the end of the trilogy/saga). So I think someone else will die, probably Lord Hood if he get role in the event of H5G, but I just mentioned someone.

Osman and Sarah Palmer are hopefully going to die. Terrible, awful characters. Knowing my luck though, they’re going to kill Arby. That is when I will stop buying anything Halo ever again.

> > The Didact was narrating in the epilogue; he isn’t dead.
>
> Didact’s speech in the epilogue has been officially confirmed to take place <mark>somewhere before the Halo’s fired.</mark> (to many people’s surprise and my satisfying affirmation)
>
> But regardless of that he is still alive, what has been confirmed as well.

Actually, the answer wasn’t “before the Halos fired”, it was “Before loss of contact with the Domain”. While those two events are apparently clearly linked, they may not be in this instance for 100% sure. We still need Catalog to clarify its statement.

Chief.

Because that would be very surprising and unexpected.

I wouldn’t like anybody we’ve come to get attached to die, but then again it’d make a more compelling case to do it as it would hit us on the 'feels scale.

The most amazing cutscene in H5 Guardians (I couldn’t resist):

Lasky: There’s something on your head!

Palmer: Is it a spider? Get it off!

BOOM

Only characters that make sense (That we know of)

Palmer - she just sucks as a person (in Escalation she’s ok. But in the game she sucked)

Lasky - Really don’t think he will die. He hasn’t made enough of an impact emotionally although he’s been there story-wise.

Halsey - she does speak in the Halo Reach Epilogue. But I think they could still get away with killing her off. It would have the most significant impact to the chief and possibly to us.

The arbiter - His return could mean his demise. His death would probably make the greatest impact on us as players.

Locke - since he’s only getting introduced this game, he maybe around. But maybe not?

Didact - Assuming he’s still alive, his ultimate fate could be decided in this game.

I’d say Lasky or Thel. Not sure why, but it just feels like it.

I feel like it will be Arbiter because they said it would be dark. But as long as he dies a noble/honorable death I’m okay with that.

People prob want Palmer to, but I think Osman may.

I’m hoping they don’t turn The Arbiter into a villain …again, I’ve come to grow so attached to him.

I’d really like to see Locke kill Thel or Rtas. It’d make a nice personal conflict within the story and would really make you hate yourself.

> I’d really like to see Locke kill Thel or Rtas. It’d make a nice personal conflict within the story and would really make you hate yourself.

Why would you ever say that? :’(

> I’d really like to see Locke kill Thel or Rtas. It’d make a nice personal conflict within the story and would really make you hate yourself.

Impossible. It would make me hate the game and the people who wrote the story. Like I said, if Thel dies, I’m dropping the series forever. I didn’t care about Cortana in Halo 4 because of the poor writing, but never getting to play as Arby ever again? Dropped like a hot rock while not wearing gloves.

> > I’d really like to see Locke kill Thel or Rtas. It’d make a nice personal conflict within the story and would really make you hate yourself.
>
> Impossible. It would make me hate the game and the people who wrote the story. Like I said, if Thel dies, I’m dropping the series forever. I didn’t care about Cortana in Halo 4 because of the poor writing, but never getting to play as Arby ever again? Dropped like a hot rock while not wearing gloves.

That’d literally be the best thing 343 can do with the story. If ONI does have this “evil agenda” people keep thinking, then killing the Arbiter would essentially make Chief change all his beliefs on ONI and possibly the UNSC (Granted those are two different organizations, they are related). It would be a major plot twist and be a realization for the Chief.