Who is the secondary character in co-op campaign?

So since Halo Infinite is returning with split-screen coop campaign, who will be the second character the other player plays as? You know like from Halo CE, 2, 4 you play as clones of Master Chief.

Though in honesty, I hope that doesn’t return. In most situational aspects, I hope we also don’t get to play as a following side-main character too, like, Arbiter in Halo 3 (he wasn’t in every mission with Chief). Both ruin to immersion in my opinion.

I thought of an idea: Every time the second player joins the scoreboard in the menu, it always asks for which account he is signing in to. Whatever account he is signing in to, the coop campaign will render in that account’s multiplayer Spartan design as the second main character. Yes, maybe there will be some missions that have Chief by himself. But I think a unique spartan following Chief in those missions are a much better alternative than a clone of Master Chief instead.

EDIT: Some people seem to not understand. I’m not talking about the second cooperative character in all the games. Only on who should it be in Halo Infinite.

I’m personally hoping blue team are still going to be with chief the whole time.

> 2535419166122192;1:
> So since Halo Infinite is returning with split-screen coop campaign, who will be the second character the other player plays as? You know like from Halo CE, 2, 4 you play as clones of Master Chief.
>
> Though in honesty, I hope that doesn’t return. In most situational aspects, I hope we also don’t get to play as a following side-main character too, like, Arbiter in Halo 3 (he wasn’t in every mission with Chief). Both ruin to immersion in my opinion.
>
> I thought of an idea: Every time the second player joins the scoreboard in the menu, it always asks for which account he is signing in to. Whatever account he is signing in to, the coop campaign will render in that account’s multiplayer Spartan design as the second main character. Yes, maybe there will be some missions that have Chief by himself. But I think a unique spartan following Chief in those missions are a much better alternative than a clone of Master Chief instead.

Personally either it needs to be Blue Team (but implemented and written better than Halo 5) or it should be a return to Arbiter and his companions from H3 who have since been fleshed out much more.

A further point would be that there is a wider pool to select from including all of the above, Palmer, and Osiris (except Buck as he’s back with Alpha-9 now)

I understand that it may be immersion breaking to see a clone fighting along side you, but the singleplayer is really the canon part of the campaign. There comes a rule of fun over a rule of everything being explained. Like how multiplayer was explained as “spartan games” or whatever. Nobody cares that multiplayer is spartan games. We didn’t need to know that. Also I thought it was pretty cool having the Arbiter return as a co op player in Halo 3.

Having your own individual spartan fight alongside the chief to make it fit more with canon brings along its own problems. Obviously Spartans get noticed more, and in addition a spartan constantly following chief and fighting alongside him will play a greater role in the story. So having a co op like that but still having chief in prime focus would probably be jarring and odd since there’s another spartan right next to them. Wouldn’t they want his input? After all he fights next to the chief. A marine could be a background characters like that, but not a spartan.

I don’t really think it matters who’s the co op character and I don’t need an explanation to have fun.

So the book I think it was Linda who was injured and put in the cryo tube, Either way it was written in such a manner that you could explain the Co-op scene when 2 Spartans emerged from the cryostasis pods even though it is pretty much canon that MC was alone in those games. I am not a big fan of retconning but after some disasters in the attempts to continue the series (cough* $tar War$ cough*0 and also how H5 has already retconend MC not being the only Spartan II to survive, I can see an alternate storyline where a whole Spartan fire team made it through Halo 1, 2 and 3 so we can have 4 player co-op for all of MCC.

I want to play as another Elite again, but I know that’s kinda pushing it nowadays.

I mean, singleplayer has been the canon way in the Halo games so co-op characters shouldn’t matter that much.
Perhaps not the Arbiter though, given he has upgraded his gear to match the new technology. So perhaps some other SPARTAN like member of a blue team or like in the thread & in the minds of many players since customization was firstly an option in Halo 3, perhaps some customizeable character.

Though in a way Arbiter could be an option given Elites in current gear as playable characters has been made before too, it doesn’t make sense but co-op is not the canon path so it could slide easier.

> 2666640315087182;5:
> So the book I think it was Linda who was injured and put in the cryo tube, Either way it was written in such a manner that you could explain the Co-op scene when 2 Spartans emerged from the cryostasis pods even though it is pretty much canon that MC was alone in those games. I am not a big fan of retconning but after some disasters in the attempts to continue the series (cough* $tar War$ cough*0 and also how H5 has already retconend MC not being the only Spartan II to survive, I can see an alternate storyline where a whole Spartan fire team made it through Halo 1, 2 and 3 so we can have 4 player co-op for all of MCC.

H5 didn’t retcon chief being the last Spartan II because he was never the last Spartan II.

I know that coop isn’t canon. But im not talking about breaking core canon. Im talking about breaking immersion. In this case, wherever you are at, there are spartans. And no matter what, you can play as anyone.

Maybe a thought, on the missions that Chief isn’t alone, you play as the second-main character following Chief. On the missions Chief is alone, the second player is a Spartan from the multiplayer on that specific account.

Some reason, I cant shake the fact of two people running around looking the same.

> 2535418979567138;4:
> I understand that it may be immersion breaking to see a clone fighting along side you, but the singleplayer is really the canon part of the campaign. There comes a rule of fun over a rule of everything being explained. Like how multiplayer was explained as “spartan games” or whatever. Nobody cares that multiplayer is spartan games. We didn’t need to know that. Also I thought it was pretty cool having the Arbiter return as a co op player in Halo 3.
>
> Having your own individual spartan fight alongside the chief to make it fit more with canon brings along its own problems. Obviously Spartans get noticed more, and in addition a spartan constantly following chief and fighting alongside him will play a greater role in the story. So having a co op like that but still having chief in prime focus would probably be jarring and odd since there’s another spartan right next to them. Wouldn’t they want his input? After all he fights next to the chief. A marine could be a background characters like that, but not a spartan.
>
> I don’t really think it matters who’s the co op character and I don’t need an explanation to have fun.

Canon is now everything in Halo no matter where its fun. People like myself, need an explanation on what or where or why I am doing. On 343i’s side, it fits them into their creativity that no matter where you are in the game, you are still part of the canon Halo universe.

If there were games without an explanation, I create my own explanation to keep myself interested.

> 2535419166122192;10:
> > 2535418979567138;4:
> > I understand that it may be immersion breaking to see a clone fighting along side you, but the singleplayer is really the canon part of the campaign. There comes a rule of fun over a rule of everything being explained. Like how multiplayer was explained as “spartan games” or whatever. Nobody cares that multiplayer is spartan games. We didn’t need to know that. Also I thought it was pretty cool having the Arbiter return as a co op player in Halo 3.
> >
> > Having your own individual spartan fight alongside the chief to make it fit more with canon brings along its own problems. Obviously Spartans get noticed more, and in addition a spartan constantly following chief and fighting alongside him will play a greater role in the story. So having a co op like that but still having chief in prime focus would probably be jarring and odd since there’s another spartan right next to them. Wouldn’t they want his input? After all he fights next to the chief. A marine could be a background characters like that, but not a spartan.
> >
> > I don’t really think it matters who’s the co op character and I don’t need an explanation to have fun.
>
> Canon is now everything in Halo no matter where its fun. People like myself, need an explanation on what or where or why I am doing. On 343i’s side, it fits them into their creativity that no matter where you are in the game, you are still part of the canon Halo universe.
>
> If there were games without an explanation, I create my own explanation to keep myself interested.

I disagree in that halo’s multiplayer wasn’t more fun or less fun or engaging because they added extra lore or whatever. In fact Halos that didn’t explain their multiplayer modes as “spartan simulations” were more popular (though I’m sure it has more to do with something else than explanation). I just don’t really care. Should the campaign be thoroughly explained? Absolutely. But the explanation of everything sets a precedent, which will have some players asking why a clone of master chief appeared in halos 1/2/4 and was never mentioned elsewhere.

It may be a bit much to ask, but having Arbiter be p2 again would be nostalgia gold. It’d definitely be a problem if 343 keeps insisting on no playable Elites and it may be a narrative stretch given how committed Arbiter is to his leadership role nowadays.

I’m hoping for a return to the “Clone of Player Character” mechanic, since the whole Fire Team mechanic in Halo 5 was… less than ideal in its execution, especially on higher difficulties. Honestly, the most effective usage I got out of Blue Team and Osiris in the campaign was basically ordering them to go in the enemy’s line of sight while I performed flanking maneuvers. On occasion, I could order them to pick up a useful weapon, but they rarely used it efficiently and the Spartan who picked up the weapon was often not the one I wanted to have it. Trying to arm all of the Spartans properly was a headache most of the time, so I often just gave up and used them as canon fodder… although Blue Team was a bit more useful since at least Fred and Linda would carry long-range weaponry so they could snipe targets.

So, that mechanic had better be refined if it’s returning, or dropped completely in my opinion. I mean, I like having AI companions, but if that means having AI who are less useful than the red-shirt Marines of Combat Evolved… I’d rather not have them at all.

> 2535469655845689;8:
> > 2666640315087182;5:
> > So the book I think it was Linda who was injured and put in the cryo tube, Either way it was written in such a manner that you could explain the Co-op scene when 2 Spartans emerged from the cryostasis pods even though it is pretty much canon that MC was alone in those games. I am not a big fan of retconning but after some disasters in the attempts to continue the series (cough* $tar War$ cough*0 and also how H5 has already retconend MC not being the only Spartan II to survive, I can see an alternate storyline where a whole Spartan fire team made it through Halo 1, 2 and 3 so we can have 4 player co-op for all of MCC.
>
> H5 didn’t retcon chief being the last Spartan II because he was never the last Spartan II.

He was in the instruction manual.

> 2666640315087182;14:
> > 2535469655845689;8:
> > > 2666640315087182;5:
> > > So the book I think it was Linda who was injured and put in the cryo tube, Either way it was written in such a manner that you could explain the Co-op scene when 2 Spartans emerged from the cryostasis pods even though it is pretty much canon that MC was alone in those games. I am not a big fan of retconning but after some disasters in the attempts to continue the series (cough* $tar War$ cough*0 and also how H5 has already retconend MC not being the only Spartan II to survive, I can see an alternate storyline where a whole Spartan fire team made it through Halo 1, 2 and 3 so we can have 4 player co-op for all of MCC.
> >
> > H5 didn’t retcon chief being the last Spartan II because he was never the last Spartan II.
>
> He was in the instruction manual.

Actually… no, yeah, you’re right. Technically, the instruction manuals are more canon than any other lore aside from the games themselves if you really think about it.

Arby would be nice, or Blue Team.

However the idea in the OP of having P2’s own multiplayer spartan being carried over as a secondary character when he/she isn’t the host is nice as well. Should also be technically feasible and a nice nod to Noble 6 in Reach. So yeah, this is in “why not?” territory for me.

I’ll take just a clone of the chief for coop but I honestly want a partner that’s an actual character. First and foremost I want Blue Team to be flushed out more, so having Fred, Linda, or Kelly with The Chief on his journey, might be really nice. I however do not expect Arbiter to be a companion as he is the head of the SOS.

> 2674012278771805;16:
> Arby would be nice, or Blue Team.
>
> However the idea in the OP of having P2’s own multiplayer spartan being carried over as a secondary character when he/she isn’t the host is nice as well. Should also be technically feasible and a nice nod to Noble 6 in Reach. So yeah, this is in “why not?” territory for me.

The why not probably comes down to the additional difficulty of having more models needed for the campaign - especially any in-engine cutscenes (although granted most coop cutscenes just ignore the additional players). They were extremely well-done in Reach, but I imagine it is additional work to achieve this. Reach was built to do this from the ground up because it was Player 1.

Not saying it shouldn’t be done, but it would definitely be more work to implement for Campaign.

Entirely depends on story though: Halo 3 I felt balanced this really well with the Arbiter (who was present in many scenes as an AI anyway) and then two, until more recently nameless, elites. Halo 5 obviously just used characters who were always there anyway. Reach and ODST due to the ‘nameless’ nature of the main characters it just didn’t really matter - though at least ODST used entirely generic ODSTs rather than rookie-clones for the flashback missions.

If there are other characters there reliably for coop then they should just be used for ease of it: if not the Halo 3 solution for me is the neatest.

> 2533274874872263;18:
> > 2674012278771805;16:
> > Arby would be nice, or Blue Team.
> >
> > However the idea in the OP of having P2’s own multiplayer spartan being carried over as a secondary character when he/she isn’t the host is nice as well. Should also be technically feasible and a nice nod to Noble 6 in Reach. So yeah, this is in “why not?” territory for me.
>
> The why not probably comes down to the additional difficulty of having more models needed for the campaign - especially any in-engine cutscenes (although granted most coop cutscenes just ignore the additional players). They were extremely well-done in Reach, but I imagine it is additional work to achieve this. Reach was built to do this from the ground up because it was Player 1.
>
> Not saying it shouldn’t be done, but it would definitely be more work to implement for Campaign.
>
> Entirely depends on story though: Halo 3 I felt balanced this really well with the Arbiter (who was present in many scenes as an AI anyway) and then two, until more recently nameless, elites. Halo 5 obviously just used characters who were always there anyway. Reach and ODST due to the ‘nameless’ nature of the main characters it just didn’t really matter - though at least ODST used entirely generic ODSTs rather than rookie-clones for the flashback missions.
>
> If there are other characters there reliably for coop then they should just be used for ease of it: if not the Halo 3 solution for me is the neatest.

You gave the answer to the “why not”. Simply don’t include the second (3rd,4th) players in cutscenes and you’re done.
The rest is just in game models that are already in game…

> 2674012278771805;19:
> > 2533274874872263;18:
> > > 2674012278771805;16:
> > > Arby would be nice, or Blue Team.
> > >
> > > However the idea in the OP of having P2’s own multiplayer spartan being carried over as a secondary character when he/she isn’t the host is nice as well. Should also be technically feasible and a nice nod to Noble 6 in Reach. So yeah, this is in “why not?” territory for me.
> >
> > The why not probably comes down to the additional difficulty of having more models needed for the campaign - especially any in-engine cutscenes (although granted most coop cutscenes just ignore the additional players). They were extremely well-done in Reach, but I imagine it is additional work to achieve this. Reach was built to do this from the ground up because it was Player 1.
> >
> > Not saying it shouldn’t be done, but it would definitely be more work to implement for Campaign.
> >
> > Entirely depends on story though: Halo 3 I felt balanced this really well with the Arbiter (who was present in many scenes as an AI anyway) and then two, until more recently nameless, elites. Halo 5 obviously just used characters who were always there anyway. Reach and ODST due to the ‘nameless’ nature of the main characters it just didn’t really matter - though at least ODST used entirely generic ODSTs rather than rookie-clones for the flashback missions.
> >
> > If there are other characters there reliably for coop then they should just be used for ease of it: if not the Halo 3 solution for me is the neatest.
>
> You gave the answer to the “why not”. Simply don’t include the second (3rd,4th) players in cutscenes and you’re done.
> The rest is just in game models that are already in game…

The models are already in the game, but it’s more things to build/load/render. Given that the stated reason for no splitscreen multiplayer in H5 was to avoid framerate drops and improve campaign performance generally, IIRC, extra work for the game to do specifically for campaign in terms of having to always be creating these other models in addition to what would be there for single player would reduce that. obviously they’ve heard the community that we value splitscreen multiplayer, but if performance of the campaign is still an ethos there rendering additional things that they don’t need would surely not fit with that.

To be honest though at this point I’m playing devil’s advocate… I really like OP’s suggestion.

One possible canon way of achieving this: bring back Fireteam Crimson (or similar) as potential candidates to ‘accompany’ the Infinite protagonist (I hesitate to say Chief in case Player 1 gets Arby again…)