Who is talking? Lobby UI needs improvement

I mute 90% of the people I come across because 1) they use Kinect, 2) they are playing music, 3) kids are screaming in the background, or 4) they are breathing into the mic or otherwise making some obnoxious noise. The problem is that I have no idea who is making the noises in the lobby, so I end up just using the “mute all” button once the game starts. I’d rather just mute the people making noise. PLEASE let us mute people in the lobby.

Agreed, don’t know how many times I go into arena and hear some kid screaming as loud as he can and just click mute all

+1

Like I’ve said before, there essentially is no lobby. It has neither the functionality nor the convenience of one and provides no real communication.

This is a basic feature of lobby design and yet 343 doesn’t get it.

BUT we also need a visual cue about who’s talking in a game. Has anyone figured out a way that doesn’t involve opening the scoreboard and randomly muting players until you find the idiot you want to mute?

I can sometimes see the players name in the bottom right side of the screen, but usually its only the guy in my fireteam

I miss the Reach menu system a lot. Keep it simple, have the calling cards on the right hand side, we can scroll over them and get a view of the player’s armor, stance, maybe rank, commendations? I don’t get why they thought that displaying the emblems and nothing else would be a good idea.

This, and I would still like to know the specifics of what my friends are doing within Halo 5 when I look at their names or cards in the menu system.

Agreed. Just give us a mute all button in queue so we don’t have to listen to spammers the whole time.

> 2535431594730596;5:
> This is a basic feature of lobby design and yet 343 doesn’t get it.
>
> BUT we also need a visual cue about who’s talking in a game. Has anyone figured out a way that doesn’t involve opening the scoreboard and randomly muting players until you find the idiot you want to mute?

Yes, we also need this. Sometimes people make callouts and IDK who said it. I know people hate COD, but at least when someone talks you know who it was. We need that.

It’s funny how the current ui retains none of the functionality seen in previous games. It really is atrocious. Also, what is the point of stances now? You can only see them at the end of a match and even then the game rarely decides to show anything than a blank black canvas of a spartan.

The only reason I can think of that they changed the pre-game lobby (that’s basically been around for 10 years) so drastically is for some technical reason. It’s rather pointless to have only the emblems show up when you can’t even select them to see the players. I hope they already plan to re-implement a Halo 4 style lobby (or Halo Reach, 3, ODST, 2, etc. lobby for that matter.

> 2533274856493441;12:
> The only reason I can think of that they changed the pre-game lobby (that’s basically been around for 10 years) so drastically is for some technical reason. It’s rather pointless to have only the emblems show up when you can’t even select them to see the players. I hope they already plan to re-implement a Halo 4 style lobby (or Halo Reach, 3, ODST, 2, etc. lobby for that matter.

It is not a technical reason, or at least I don’t think it is.

It is a pretty well known fact that 343 changes things just for “the sake of change.” That and imo their designers are garbage.

This is super annoying, just got out of a lobby with a guy saying all kinds of racist garbage but I wasn’t sure which one to report (I know it probably doesn’t do any good but maybe I won’t be paired up against him again). The party and lobby UI is just so sloppy and backwards, it’s odd that something that simple would be hard for them to get right.

> 2533274854137967;14:
> “something that simple would be hard for them to get right.”

343 in a nutshell.

> 2533274826203061;13:
> > 2533274856493441;12:
> > The only reason I can think of that they changed the pre-game lobby (that’s basically been around for 10 years) so drastically is for some technical reason. It’s rather pointless to have only the emblems show up when you can’t even select them to see the players. I hope they already plan to re-implement a Halo 4 style lobby (or Halo Reach, 3, ODST, 2, etc. lobby for that matter.
>
>
> It is not a technical reason, or at least I don’t think it is.
>
> It is a pretty well known fact that 343 changes things just for “the sake of change.” That and imo their designers are garbage.

^^ This. 343 wants to get out from under the shadow of Bungie by making things different. They just don’t care if it makes things worse, too.

> 2533274826203061;15:
> > 2533274854137967;14:
> > “something that simple would be hard for them to get right.”
>
>
> 343 in a nutshell.

Yep, look at SWAT and what a cluster that’s become.

> 2533274826203061;13:
> > 2533274856493441;12:
> > The only reason I can think of that they changed the pre-game lobby (that’s basically been around for 10 years) so drastically is for some technical reason. It’s rather pointless to have only the emblems show up when you can’t even select them to see the players. I hope they already plan to re-implement a Halo 4 style lobby (or Halo Reach, 3, ODST, 2, etc. lobby for that matter.
>
>
> It is not a technical reason, or at least I don’t think it is.
>
> It is a pretty well known fact that 343 changes things just for “the sake of change.” That and imo their designers are garbage.

I don’t think there is any technical reason. The UI just looks like it was “over designed” to me.

The lobby needs a complete overhaul. I miss the option to pause a game creation like in Halo 3. They also need to show more information about what friends are up to- what games they’re playing, how long left/score and stuff like that. Also, who is partied with who.

> 2805367267898298;18:
> > 2533274826203061;13:
> > > 2533274856493441;12:
> > > The only reason I can think of that they changed the pre-game lobby (that’s basically been around for 10 years) so drastically is for some technical reason. It’s rather pointless to have only the emblems show up when you can’t even select them to see the players. I hope they already plan to re-implement a Halo 4 style lobby (or Halo Reach, 3, ODST, 2, etc. lobby for that matter.
> >
> >
> > It is not a technical reason, or at least I don’t think it is.
> >
> > It is a pretty well known fact that 343 changes things just for “the sake of change.” That and imo their designers are garbage.
>
>
> I don’t think there is any technical reason. The UI just looks like it was “over designed” to me.

UGH it is SO AWFUL. 343 would actually keep the respect of many fans if they actually kept what has always worked but enhanced it in their own way. Instead they are taking things away that are just ruining the halo experience for me at least. They have destroyed the lobby, and post game reports is so annoying. I shouldn’t have to double click my home button to see in my friends list what my friends are playing. I should be able to see this in the game by clicking on their name IN THE GAME. I agree with everything here. I should be able to see my medals in the post carnage report and not have to login a website on my phone. Stop messing up such basic components of the game.