Who else is confused with the first cutscene?

Opening scene shows Dr. Halsey walking past a picture of Miranda Keys, which indicates that the cutscene takes place some time after Halo 3. Then she proceeds to activate Cortana. Her internal dialogue reads, “Spartan Locke… I have spent enough years with ONI to know the truth.” She then activates Cortana and they smile at each other. Dialogue continues… “Once this is over… After all I have done…” She then puts Cortana away in the canister…“They’ll order you to kill us both.” The cut scene ends, and the next time we see Halsey, without explanation, she is missing half of her left arm.

Now, I ask you… What’s up with the fresh, newly enabled Cortana that Dr. Halsey reactivated in that scene? Is it a different Cortana than the one that died in Halo 4? Could Halsey have been creating a new Cortana during the 4 years that Chief was in hyper sleep accompanied by the real Cortana in the “Forward Unto Dawn” as it was floating adrift? Could she have created a new Cortana directly after the events of Halo 4, behind Chief’s back? Could Halsey maybe have purposely filled the new Cortana in on what Master Chief and the real Cortana have been through, that way when she’s manipulating Chief, she can hit all the bullet points on their key history without touching on too much detail? Is that why she’s so weird and different by the time Chief meets up with her at the end of Halo 5? And is Halsey secretly working with Cortana and being complete 2 faced liar through out the entire game? Did she have a different plan with Cortana and maybe it took a turn for the worst?

What backs up this theory of mine, is a key moment in Halo 4, when Cortana is malfunctioning, she tells Chief, “Halsey could just create a new AI, a new Cortana, but you know it won’t be me, right?”

And who is Halsey referring to when she say’s “They’ll order you to kill us both.”? Is she talking about herself and Cortana? Herself and Chief? Obviously, she’s talking to Spartan Locke, but who would order him to kill her? UNSC?
Why is she so certain that she’s gonna be put on death row once this is all over? And how in God’s name did she lose her left arm?!?!

Perhaps, this will all be answered in Halo 6. Such questions to be answered indeed. But for now…
I honestly feel this topic is being overlooked! Help me! I wanna solve this badly!

she lost her arms during Spartan ops in halo 4 :slight_smile:

As for the first cinematic…i have no idea. I thought at first it was back when she had first created Cortana, and that her lines were just placed over the top of a flashback.

it was definitely before Spartan ops (6 months after halo 4) as she still has her arm.

Why would it be after Halo 3? Maranda was Halsey’s daughter. Why wouldn’t she have a picture of her. There was no black ribbon on it, meaning it was before she died

No the scene takes place before Halo: CE, when Halsey was getting Cortana ready to give her to chief.

> 2533274803137071;3:
> Why would it be after Halo 3? Maranda was Halsey’s daughter. Why wouldn’t she have a picture of her. There was no black ribbon on it, meaning it was before she died
>
> No the scene takes place before Halo: CE, when Halsey was getting Cortana ready to give her to chief.

This

I assumed that the visuals in the scene were set during the events of Halo Reach, just before Halsey gives Cortana to Noble 6, but the voice over was…

just after her rescue from Jul.She was reminiscing as she was talking, maybe.

Although I’m not sure why this cutscene wasn’t inserted after mission 1 - it makes less sense at the beginning.

<mark>Do not flame/attack others.</mark>

> 2533274803964668;4:
> > 2533274803137071;3:
> > Why would it be after Halo 3? Maranda was Halsey’s daughter. Why wouldn’t she have a picture of her. There was no black ribbon on it, meaning it was before she died
> > No the scene takes place before Halo: CE, when Halsey was getting Cortana ready to give her to chief.
>
>
> This

The picture she has of Miranda Keye’s was specifically taken when she got promoted in Halo 2, you numb skull. Plus, she’s already old with plain white hair in this first scene of Halo 5. She looked way younger in Halo: CE and even in Halo: Reach, and her internal dialogue is speaking to Locke during this Cortana sequence… I understand the story about her giving Cortana to Chief in Halo: Reach but no, they wouldn’t be re-explaining that. Especially when the age difference doesn’t even match up. Yeah, it’s not as simple as that. Nice guess though

> 2533274834430951;2:
> she lost her arms during Spartan ops in halo 4 :slight_smile:
>
> As for the first cinematic…i have no idea. I thought at first it was back when she had first created Cortana, and that her lines were just placed over the top of a flashback.
>
> it was definitely before Spartan ops (6 months after halo 4) as she still has her arm.

Hey, nice catch! I hadn’t even seen the Spartan Ops, I’m gonna watch that first thing in the morning, thank you! That solves that! If Halo 5 is 7 months after Halo 4, then Spartan Ops was only a month before Halo 5, right? Very interesting. So you think she created a new Cortana after the original died? Or maybe this was happening while Chief and Cortana were still on the Forward Unto Dawn?

> 2533274820637077;6:
> > 2533274803964668;4:
> > > 2533274803137071;3:
> > > Why would it be after Halo 3? Maranda was Halsey’s daughter. Why wouldn’t she have a picture of her. There was no black ribbon on it, meaning it was before she died
> > >
> > > No the scene takes place before Halo: CE, when Halsey was getting Cortana ready to give her to chief.
> >
> >
> > This
>
>
> The picture she has of Miranda Keye’s was specifically taken when she got promoted in Halo 2, you numb skull. Plus, she’s already old with plain white hair in this first scene of Halo 5. She looked way younger in Halo: CE and even in Halo: Reach, and her internal dialogue is speaking to Locke during this Cortana sequence… I understand the story about her giving Cortana to Chief in Halo: Reach but no, they wouldn’t be re-explaining that. Especially when the age difference doesn’t even match up. Yeah, it’s not as simple as that. Nice guess though

The scene takes place during or just before the events of Halo Reach, if anyone actually bothered with the easter egg to enter Halseys lab in Reach you will notice the lab in the cutscene is very similar to the lab in Reach. Also just because they used a picture of Keyes from the Halo 2 Anniversary cutscene does not mean it is a picture of that event, it could of just simply been a picture of a time when she was in her uniform (also Miranda Keyes didn’t get promoted in Halo 2, she was receiving her farthers medal). One final thing, Halsey had gray/white hair in Halo Reach, theres been some major graphical improvements since then and a next gen console, if they made her look like she did in Reach they she would look really out of place.

> 2533274808793619;8:
> > 2533274820637077;6:
> > > 2533274803964668;4:
> > > > 2533274803137071;3:
> > > > Why would it be after Halo 3? Maranda was Halsey’s daughter. Why wouldn’t she have a picture of her. There was no black ribbon on it, meaning it was before she died
> > > >
> > > > No the scene takes place before Halo: CE, when Halsey was getting Cortana ready to give her to chief.
> > >
> > >
> > > This
> >
> >
> > The picture she has of Miranda Keye’s was specifically taken when she got promoted in Halo 2, you numb skull. Plus, she’s already old with plain white hair in this first scene of Halo 5. She looked way younger in Halo: CE and even in Halo: Reach, and her internal dialogue is speaking to Locke during this Cortana sequence… I understand the story about her giving Cortana to Chief in Halo: Reach but no, they wouldn’t be re-explaining that. Especially when the age difference doesn’t even match up. Yeah, it’s not as simple as that. Nice guess though
>
>
> The scene takes place during or just before the events of Halo Reach, if anyone actually bothered with the easter egg to enter Halseys lab in Reach you will notice the lab in the cutscene is very similar to the lab in Reach. Also just because they used a picture of Keyes from the Halo 2 Anniversary cutscene does not mean it is a picture of that event, it could of just simply been a picture of a time when she was in her uniform (also Miranda Keyes didn’t get promoted in Halo 2, she was receiving her farthers medal). One final thing, Halsey had gray/white hair in Halo Reach, theres been some major graphical improvements since then and a next gen console, if they made her look like she did in Reach they she would look really out of place.

Exactly, plus Halsey was under constant heavy Guard on Midnight Station or Ivanioth Station over Gamma Halo after she was extracted from Onyx by Kilo-Five

There is no way in Hell Admiral Osman would have allowed Halsey to be alone or anywhere near a AI matrix or a AI as complex as Cortana as long as she lived

This is from Castle base on Reach before it fell. She looks old because she is. It’s only 6 years before Halo 5. It’s the pre-CE Cortana.
That’s a picture of Miranda from before getting her father’s posthumous award canonically, but taken from H2A probably to save time rendering a new one and also so we’d recognize her.

> 2533274883669557;10:
> This is from Castle Base on Reach before it fell. She looks old because she is. It’s only 6 years earlier. It’s the one-CE Cortana.
> That’s a picture of Miranda from before her promotion canonically, but taken from H2A probably to save time rendering a new one and also so we’d recognize her.

But she wasn’t promoted. She was receiving a posthumous Award of the Colonial Cross for her Father Captain Keyes for his actions of Reach and Halo Installation 04

The very first seen takes place before H4, but to what degree all that we see is important is unknown. Was Halsey storing a shard or the whole Cortana? Why is she talking to Locke as though him and her are caught in some sort of ONI conspiracy and yet the only connection to Hunting the Truth was in the marketing campaign?

> 2533274803137071;11:
> > 2533274883669557;10:
> > This is from Castle Base on Reach before it fell. She looks old because she is. It’s only 6 years earlier. It’s the one-CE Cortana.
> > That’s a picture of Miranda from before her promotion canonically, but taken from H2A probably to save time rendering a new one and also so we’d recognize her.
>
>
> But she wasn’t promoted. She was receiving a posthumous Award of the Colonial Cross for her Father Captain Keyes for his actions of Reach and Halo Installation 04

That’s what I meant … Someone said “promoted” above and for some reason that’s what I went with … Not sure why. I also corrected myself by fixing Castle to Sword base, I know my lore! Lol.

> 2533274808793619;8:
> > 2533274820637077;6:
> > > 2533274803964668;4:
> > > > 2533274803137071;3:
> > > > Why would it be after Halo 3? Maranda was Halsey’s daughter. Why wouldn’t she have a picture of her. There was no black ribbon on it, meaning it was before she died
> > > >
> > > > No the scene takes place before Halo: CE, when Halsey was getting Cortana ready to give her to chief.
> > >
> > >
> > > This
> >
> >
> > The picture she has of Miranda Keye’s was specifically taken when she got promoted in Halo 2, you numb skull. Plus, she’s already old with plain white hair in this first scene of Halo 5. She looked way younger in Halo: CE and even in Halo: Reach, and her internal dialogue is speaking to Locke during this Cortana sequence… I understand the story about her giving Cortana to Chief in Halo: Reach but no, they wouldn’t be re-explaining that. Especially when the age difference doesn’t even match up. Yeah, it’s not as simple as that. Nice guess though
>
>
> The scene takes place during or just before the events of Halo Reach, if anyone actually bothered with the easter egg to enter Halseys lab in Reach you will notice the lab in the cutscene is very similar to the lab in Reach. Also just because they used a picture of Keyes from the Halo 2 Anniversary cutscene does not mean it is a picture of that event, it could of just simply been a picture of a time when she was in her uniform (also Miranda Keyes didn’t get promoted in Halo 2, she was receiving her farthers medal). One final thing, Halsey had gray/white hair in Halo Reach, theres been some major graphical improvements since then and a next gen console, if they made her look like she did in Reach they she would look really out of place.

Your point about the picture… About how it could somehow be a picture of her before the events of Halo 2… That’s a bit of a stretch though, isn’t it? I mean it’s an exact screen shot from Halo 2 for Christ sake. And oh I’m sorry, received a medal. That’s about the only thing you can legitimately correct me on. Just because she’s using the same lab as in Reach, means that it’s the scene from that game? She can’t just use the same lab to make more AI’s? Cmon now. I just looked up cut scenes with Halsey in Reach and she has dark brown hair and looks significantly younger compared to Halo 5. I’m telling you, it is not a reenactment of that time frame. And even if it is, why would they replay it with her looking much older with an internal dialogue speaking to Spartan Locke? And plus, Locke was an agent before he was a Spartan, another piece of evidence as to why this scene takes place after Halo 2 and 3. Your information just doesn’t exactly disprove anything of the points I’ve made. Except about the medal. Bravo btw

> 2533274883669557;13:
> > 2533274803137071;11:
> > > 2533274883669557;10:
> > > This is from Castle Base on Reach before it fell. She looks old because she is. It’s only 6 years earlier. It’s the one-CE Cortana.
> > > That’s a picture of Miranda from before her promotion canonically, but taken from H2A probably to save time rendering a new one and also so we’d recognize her.
> >
> >
> > But she wasn’t promoted. She was receiving a posthumous Award of the Colonial Cross for her Father Captain Keyes for his actions of Reach and Halo Installation 04
>
>
> That’s what I meant … Someone said “promoted” above and for some reason that’s what I went with … Not sure why. I also corrected myself by fixing Castle to Sword base, I know my lore! Lol.

I actually think it’s Castle. For Sword was where she Kept the Fragment, the main body of Cortana was already in the Pillar of Autumn when Noble Team received the Fragment in Sword. It’s all in Halsey’s Journal.

And both the Journal and Fall of Reach State the Main Cortana body was Kept at sword till she was given to John. The Fragment stayed at sword to extract and translate as much important information as possible. Information so vital that it was worth the sacrifice of Noble team

> 2533274883669557;10:
> This is from Sword Base on Reach before it fell. She looks old because she is. It’s only 6 years before Halo 5. It’s the pre-CE Cortana.
> That’s a picture of Miranda from before getting her father’s posthumous award canonically, but taken from H2A probably to save time rendering a new one and also so we’d recognize her.

Right, so 343 got lazy and used a photo from Halo 2 anniversary is what you’re saying. How are you so sure they didn’t intentionally use that photo to indicate that this scene took place after Halo 2?

> 2533274820637077;14:
> > 2533274808793619;8:
> > > 2533274820637077;6:
> > > > 2533274803964668;4:
> > > > > 2533274803137071;3:
> > > > > Why would it be after Halo 3? Maranda was Halsey’s daughter. Why wouldn’t she have a picture of her. There was no black ribbon on it, meaning it was before she died
> > > > >
> > > > > No the scene takes place before Halo: CE, when Halsey was getting Cortana ready to give her to chief.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > This
> > >
> > >
> > > The picture she has of Miranda Keye’s was specifically taken when she got promoted in Halo 2, you numb skull. Plus, she’s already old with plain white hair in this first scene of Halo 5. She looked way younger in Halo: CE and even in Halo: Reach, and her internal dialogue is speaking to Locke during this Cortana sequence… I understand the story about her giving Cortana to Chief in Halo: Reach but no, they wouldn’t be re-explaining that. Especially when the age difference doesn’t even match up. Yeah, it’s not as simple as that. Nice guess though
> >
> >
> > The scene takes place during or just before the events of Halo Reach, if anyone actually bothered with the easter egg to enter Halseys lab in Reach you will notice the lab in the cutscene is very similar to the lab in Reach. Also just because they used a picture of Keyes from the Halo 2 Anniversary cutscene does not mean it is a picture of that event, it could of just simply been a picture of a time when she was in her uniform (also Miranda Keyes didn’t get promoted in Halo 2, she was receiving her farthers medal). One final thing, Halsey had gray/white hair in Halo Reach, theres been some major graphical improvements since then and a next gen console, if they made her look like she did in Reach they she would look really out of place.
>
>
> Your point about the picture… About how it could somehow be a picture of her before the events of Halo 2… That’s a bit of a stretch though, isn’t it? I mean it’s an exact screen shot from Halo 2 for Christ sake. And oh I’m sorry, received a medal. That’s about the only thing you can legitimately correct me on. Just because she’s using the same lab as in Reach, means that it’s the scene from that game? She can’t just use the same lab to make more AI’s? Cmon now. I just looked up cut scenes with Halsey in Reach and she has dark brown hair and looks significantly younger compared to Halo 5. I’m telling you, it is not a reenactment of that time frame. And even if it is, why would they replay it with her looking much older with an internal dialogue speaking to Spartan Locke? And plus, Locke was an agent before he was a Spartan, another piece of evidence as to why this scene takes place after Halo 2 and 3. Your information just doesn’t exactly disprove anything of the points I’ve made. Except about the medal. Bravo btw

Admiral Osman would never have allowed Halsey to create another Cortana model AI. Or have anything like the office she had in the Cutscene. She had a Cell like Benjamin in Midnight. With her leashed being only loosen enough to help work on the Infinity and Forerunner artifacts at Gamma Halo. Under constant heavy Guard

> 2533274803137071;15:
> > 2533274883669557;13:
> > > 2533274803137071;11:
> > > > 2533274883669557;10:
> > > > This is from Castle Base on Reach before it fell. She looks old because she is. It’s only 6 years earlier. It’s the one-CE Cortana.
> > > > That’s a picture of Miranda from before her promotion canonically, but taken from H2A probably to save time rendering a new one and also so we’d recognize her.
> > >
> > >
> > > But she wasn’t promoted. She was receiving a posthumous Award of the Colonial Cross for her Father Captain Keyes for his actions of Reach and Halo Installation 04
> >
> >
> > That’s what I meant … Someone said “promoted” above and for some reason that’s what I went with … Not sure why. I also corrected myself by fixing Castle to Sword base, I know my lore! Lol.
>
>
> I actually think it’s Castle. For Sword was where she Kept the Fragment, the main body of Cortana was already in the Pillar of Autumn when Noble Team received the Fragment in Sword. It’s all in Halsey’s Journal.
>
> And both the Journal and Fall of Reach State the Main Cortana body was Kept at sword till she was given to John. The Fragment stayed at sword to extract and translate as much important information as possible. Information so vital that it was worth the sacrifice of Noble team

… maybe I just need to read that book again. It’s been a while.

> 2533274820637077;16:
> > 2533274883669557;10:
> > This is from Sword Base on Reach before it fell. She looks old because she is. It’s only 6 years before Halo 5. It’s the pre-CE Cortana.
> > That’s a picture of Miranda from before getting her father’s posthumous award canonically, but taken from H2A probably to save time rendering a new one and also so we’d recognize her.
>
>
> Right, so 343 got lazy and used a photo from Halo 2 anniversary is what you’re saying. How are you so sure they didn’t intentionally use that photo to indicate that this scene took place after Halo 2?

Bungie used a Marathon class cruiser over a Halcyon for the Pillar of Autumn during the Halo 2 intro cutscene.

They also used a Charon-Class frigate instead of a Stalwart class frigate for the In Amber Clad in Halo 3: ODST.

Saber Entertainment used Halo 3 and Halo: Reach Assets for Halo: CE Anniversary.

The list can go on and on

Remember, Blur made Halo 5’s cutscenes as well as Halo 2 Anniversary

> 2533274803137071;19:
> > 2533274820637077;16:
> > > 2533274883669557;10:
> > > This is from Sword Base on Reach before it fell. She looks old because she is. It’s only 6 years before Halo 5. It’s the pre-CE Cortana.
> > > That’s a picture of Miranda from before getting her father’s posthumous award canonically, but taken from H2A probably to save time rendering a new one and also so we’d recognize her.
> >
> >
> > Right, so 343 got lazy and used a photo from Halo 2 anniversary is what you’re saying. How are you so sure they didn’t intentionally use that photo to indicate that this scene took place after Halo 2?
>
>
> Bungie used a Marathon class cruiser over a Halcyon for the Pillar of Autumn during the Halo 2 intro cutscene.
>
> They also used a Charon-Class frigate instead of a Stalwart class frigate for the In Amber Clad in Halo 3: ODST.
>
> Saber Entertainment used Halo 3 and Halo: Reach Assets for Halo: CE Anniversary.
>
> The list can go on and on

What about every thing else in the scene though, man. About her being way older than when that original scene actually took place. And her talking to Spartan Locke as she’s reactivating Cortana. Explain that.