Who creates the Halo lore ?

Hi fellow fans,

I just came back from the town library where I rented my first Halo novel, The Fall of Reach, and one question came to my mind: who between Bungie/343i and Eric Nylund decides what happens, what is and what isn’t in the world of Halo. Is it the studio or the author ? They must work together to a certain extent, but who has the leading role between the two ?

Thanks !

In bungie’s era it was mostly the author that made the book lore with bungie making the games and whatever lore came along with it.

in 343’s era, 343 is pretty much in charge of the big stuff/general direction of the lore, and the authors feel in the little stuff.

I assume 343i has the leading role. They obviously give the authors some creative power, but 343i decides what should and shouldn’t be published. An example of this is seen in the Escalation comic series. The author wanted to give the rookie a name, but 343i was against it. In the end, the rookie remains a nameless character.

> 2533274925892496;2:
> In bungie’s era it was mostly the author that made the book lore with bungie making the games and whatever lore came along with it.
>
> in 343’s era, 343 is pretty much in charge of the big stuff/general direction of the lore, and the authors feel in the little stuff.

Did Bungie give the authors any background story though along with characters and then the authors filled in some more gaps?

I think 343 Industries must have a lore/universe team which dictates what is canon and where the story should go, along with the writers for the games and pieces EU materials such as the books. Of course the writers can suggest things to the team. Greg Bear’s son suggested including primitive human characters into the story, only for it to be shot down until Greg Bear propose that the character Chakas could become 343 Guilty Spark.

Thanks for the great responses :slight_smile:

> 2533274840469109;4:
> > 2533274925892496;2:
> > In bungie’s era it was mostly the author that made the book lore with bungie making the games and whatever lore came along with it.
> >
> > in 343’s era, 343 is pretty much in charge of the big stuff/general direction of the lore, and the authors feel in the little stuff.
>
>
> Did Bungie give the authors any background story though along with characters and then the authors filled in some more gaps?

I believe they gave them a small guideline with the chief… (as a child started training), but I THINK that’s about it… and probably also the direction the fall of reach would take to set up Halo (they lose). Obliviously they had nothing to do with like… Blue team, or even Halsey.