Who agrees the SAW could use a re-name?

I personally just think the name SAW not only goes far against Halo’s usual naming convention for UNSC weapons, it also sounds like a cheap attempt to knock-off the M249 SAW.

Seriously, when we get a Halo weapon, it’s named primarily after what kind of weapon it is. Just look how out-of-place it seems when surrounded by other weapons:

Assault Rifle
Battle Rifle
Sniper Rifle
Magnum
Rocket Launcher
Squad Automatic Weapon (wtf is this?)
Railgun
Sub-Machine Gun
Chaingun Turret

Seriously, UNSC weapons have one special feature to their names: They are all called their basic weapon classification.

So where did the idea to name this weapon the SAW, instead of just the LMG (Light Machine Gun) come from? It doesn’t make sense.

I think ‘SAW’ is a good name for a LMG.

> I think ‘SAW’ is a good name for a LMG.

I conclude.

> I think ‘SAW’ is a fitting name for a LMG.

So while we’re at it should we also call our Halo Sniper the Barrette, our Shotgun the SPAS, and our Rocket Launcher a Stinger?

It just doesn’t make sense. Halo Weapons are always just called their weapon type. Simple, no nicknames to learn and remember.

There’s a reason when we are in a game, we just say the Pistol and not the M6G. Or the AR and not the MA37.

SAW: squad automatic weapon

I think that sums up what it is pretty well.

> > I think ‘SAW’ is a fitting name for a LMG.
>
> So while we’re at it should we also call our Halo Sniper the Barrette, our Shotgun the SPAS, and our Rocket Launcher a Stinger?
>
> It just doesn’t make sense. Halo Weapons are always just called their weapon type. Simple, no nicknames to learn and remember.

What do you think it should be called? Light Machine Gun or LMG? If you ask me, I wouldn’t want to call it that.

SAW stands for Squad Automatic Weapon, which is exactly what it is, so the name is not out of place at all.

> > > I think ‘SAW’ is a fitting name for a LMG.
> >
> > So while we’re at it should we also call our Halo Sniper the Barrette, our Shotgun the SPAS, and our Rocket Launcher a Stinger?
> >
> > It just doesn’t make sense. Halo Weapons are always just called their weapon type. Simple, no nicknames to learn and remember.
>
> What do you think it should be called? Light Machine Gun or LMG? If you ask me, I wouldn’t want to call it that.

Why not? We already have the Assault Rifle, SMG, Battle Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun etc. All very simple, traditional weapon names.

The M249 is a SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon as I am sure you are aware). But that doesn’t mean all SAWs are a reference to the M249. The UNSC SAW does have it’s own type name and for the life of me I can’t find it and am too tired to remember.
Squad Automatic Weapon refers to purpose, not the type of gun itself. In modern militaries currently it is more useful to have a squad comprised mainly of mid-long ranged infantry (riflemen if you will), and the primary weapons are usually not automatic. In the U.S. military, squads us SAWs as support weapons, or squad support. It’s the Squad’s Automatic Weapon. Each squad has one, fire teams have two. Usually three riflemen to a support gunner.
Almost all SAWs are LMGs. But there are LMGs that aren’t SAWs, because some have different purposes. A SAW is a support weapon, and LMGs make great support weapons.

What is a Squad Automatic Rifle? I thought it was just a simple LMG. I think Bungie probably would have just named it the LMG, which would have suited Halo a lot better.

Whats the difference between a Squad Automatic Rifle and a simple LMG?

>
> <mark>So while we’re at it should we also call our Halo Sniper the Barrette, our Shotgun the SPAS, and our Rocket Launcher a Stinger?</mark>
>
> It just doesn’t make sense. Halo Weapons are always just called their weapon type. Simple, no nicknames to learn and remember.
>
> There’s a reason when we are in a game, we just say the Pistol and not the M6G. Or the AR and not the MA37.

The Barrette Light .50. the SPAS-12 shotgun, and the Stinger missile launcher (which by the way works way differently than the Halo rocket launcher) are all specific weapons named by specific designers.
SAW is a type of weapon, not a specific weapon. The M249 is a SAW, but a SAW is not an M249.

> I personally just think the name SAW not only goes far against Halo’s usual naming convention for UNSC weapons, it also sounds like a cheap attempt to knock-off the M249 <mark>SAW</mark>.
>
> Seriously, when we get a Halo weapon, it’s named primarily after what kind of weapon it is. Just look how out-of-place it seems when surrounded by other weapons:
>
> Assault Rifle
> Battle Rifle
> Sniper Rifle
> Magnum
> Rocket Launcher
> <mark>Squad Automatic Weapon</mark> (wtf is this?)
> Railgun
> Sub-Machine Gun
> Chaingun Turret
>
> Seriously, UNSC weapons have one special feature to their names: They are all called their basic weapon classification.
>
> So where did the idea to name this weapon the <mark>SAW</mark>, instead of just the LMG (Light Machine Gun) come from? It doesn’t make sense.

Dude, you do realize what SAW means right? Or do you have no -Yoinking!- clue what a Squad Automatic Weapon is? Maybe you just don’t know what a Squad is?

The name, is very fitting. it stays.

Plus, SAW sounds way more BA than LMG :slight_smile:

SAW Squad Automatic Weapon fits in just as well as DMR Designated Marksmen Rifle

Dude.

It’s exactly what a SAW is, just like the Assault Rifle is an Assault Rifle.

Also, the turret is correctly called a HMG.

>
> So while we’re at it should we also call our Halo Sniper the Barrette, our Shotgun the SPAS, and our Rocket Launcher a Stinger?
>
>
> There’s a reason when we are in a game, we just say the Pistol and not the M6G. Or the AR and not the MA37.

It worked for the SMG, I dont think people will have a problem with SAW or LMG.

I like the name SAW, but if it bothers you that much just call it the LMG then. For example, I still don’t like the name sticky detonator, so I’m just going to call it the grenade pistol instead. I don’t like the given name for it because it makes me picture a detonator covered in glue every time I hear it. Blah.

Anyway, if you like calling it the LMG better, then just call it that. It isn’t like people are going to get confused by it as I’m sure many will recognize it under both names.

By your logic the designated marksman rifle doesn’t have an appropriate name either

“Squad Automatic Weapon” sounds about the same as “Designated Marksman Rifle…”

While I do agree with you about the name (it seems a wee bit generic, despite the acronym), I like the way it (seems to) fit into the sandbox.