White Screen Problem in Game

Hi, I’m having the problem that since yesterday evening, I only get a white screen when I turn the game on. I installed it 2 days ago and I’ve played since then a couple of hours and everything worked fine, even after an update. So yesterday evening, I paused the game to go downstairs and as I got back 5 minutes later I had a white screen. I thought maybe there’s a cable a little loose but everything is just fine, so I thought my Slim is broken but in game with the white screen, as I press the xbox icon button, the comand console appears normally with the Halo game in background just like it normally should. Closing the console turns the screen back white. Deleting and reinstalling the game didn’t work either. What else can I do to get the Game working again?

I have the name Problem! ~_~

+1

got it after 30 min playing already. Any known solution except setting new profile?

I have played the game from the start to the end of silent cartographer. At the start of this level I noticed it was brighter than usual. As the level went on it got worse and worse to finally my friend who I was playing online with had to lead me blindly to the end of the level (luckily we were at the end) because the screen was so bright it was just white. I turned off the xbox reloaded it, still white. Put another game in (call of duty: MW3) and it worked fine - put halo back in still white and un-useable. Anybody got a solution or seen something around to advise of the issue, it appears that I am not alone…

Any of you useless idiots at 343 wish to reply to your useless programming?

Me too, went very bright initially and now is white as soon as the game starts up. XBOX dashboard is normal and it is just Halo CE anniversary, other games seem fine.

Really annoyingly I have just about finished it!!!

> Any of you useless idiots at 343 wish to reply to your useless programming?

They are on Holiday, like the rest of the world, stop complaining and have some patience.

> > Any of you useless idiots at 343 wish to reply to your useless programming?
>
> They are on Holiday, like the rest of the world, stop complaining and have some patience.

343 Defence force!

lol.

Update:

Now have E74 error. The 2 issues must be related?

I am not having these problems whatsoever but try troubleshooting by the following:

a. Have you checked your HDMI/component cable connection to your monitor/HDTV? If you haven’t, please make sure the video components are tightly secured.

b. Make sure the video cables (HDMI/Component) behind the XBOX Slim are secured as well.

c. Try playing a different game, & see if it’s a game-CD issue, or a Monitor issue.

d. Place your xbox slim in a cool-gaming environment. Over two books (on the side) or add a xbox-side-cooler (very cheap).

e. Play Matchmaking, see if it’s a server issue over the campaign options or if it has to do with Reach’s engine within the game.

f. E74 Error = Red Ring of Death. It means your internal HDD or motherboard for your XBOX live console has expired and without repairs, you will have to replace your system for a new one.

g. “command console” = Xbox Guide? If the above does not solve your problem, try throwing some cats at it. Apparently 343i love kittens and unicorns and they will come to the rescue a.s.a.p! :slight_smile:

Further update:
Brand spanking new XBOX slim, data transferred across with transfer device (didn’t do the dodgy HDD swap) and I still have the white screen problem with normal sound.

So it must be a software problem

Mr Bear Toy, wrt option “e” it is just possible to get into multiplayer and the white screen seems to go away once you can blindly make your way into this menu screen.

> Mr Bear Toy, wrt option “e” it is just possible to get into multiplayer and the white screen seems to go away once you can blindly make your way into this menu screen.

Do you have warranty still for the game? For whatever the case, try trading it back in with your local game store and purchase a new one. That sometimes happens with some games that have worn out or were corrupted to start with.

First of all, this stuff about returning the disk is silly. I had the white screen problem on a brand new disk with only a few hours’ use. Not a disk problem. It’s poor software development.

I had the white screen problem crop up. Was playing co-op with a buddy over Xbox Live. Several hours (and deaths) into Legendary, screen gradually starts washing out to the point where I can’t see any detail and it hurt to look at my TV.

Tried reverting to last save to resolve white screen. Did not fix.
Finally, we had to quit. Lost all progress in that chapter. Thanks @#$! 343.
Tried restarting game. Did not fix.
Rebooted Xbox. Did not fix.

Googled this problem. Found some forums. Noticed one poster discovered it is related to which profile you are using. Really?! Go figure. Nice programming 343.

So, signed out of my profile. Signed into girlfriend’s profile. Started Halo CE Anniversary. Image is fine. Colors back to normal.

While at HCEA main menu, signed out of her profile. Signed into mine. Selected storage device (HDD). White screen immediately returned. Can’t see jack.

So… signed out of mine and back into girlfriends’. Memorized menu / command sequence to reset video settings to default.

Logged back into my profile. White screen returns, but used memorized sequence to reset to default and… IT FIXES THE WHITE SCREEN PROBLEM! Well, thanks to the users and not to 343 for figuring this out.

Here’s the sequence for those who may have encountered the white screen problem.

1. Start HCEA in a profile WITHOUT the white screen problem.
  2. Once you get to the main menu of HCEA, press Xbox button and sign out.
  3. Sign into the profile with the white screen problem.
  4. Once signed in, Xbox asks to select a storage device (HDD, Memory Unit, or Cloud). I chose HDD. This takes you to the HCEA main menu. If your screen is still all white / washed out so you cannot see menus, do the following carefully:

a. Press Start button (Settings).
b. Press the D-Pad down one (1) time; you should hear the sound indicating the menu selection changing to Video.
c. Press A (Accept).
d. Press Y (Defaults).

This resets all video to factory and you should now be able to see your screen again with normal colors. You have the option of adjusting brightness and contrast again but I did not this second time. I did it the first time and I don’t know if that is what got me into the white screen problem, but I will try without tweaking and see what happens.

My gear:

• Late generation Xbox 360 (purchased Feb 2010 – Jasper chipset)
  • HDMI connection to Panasonic plasma

Good luck.