Which Theme Would You Prefer?

Kind of curious - people seem to dislike H4 music, especially it’s placement in the game. And since we all hear the Main Menu music for at least a second or two (Some of us like to sit on there and listen), which general theme would you prefer? I’ve linked examples of the choices below so you can take a listen if you’ve forgotten. I know there are some differences between the original trilogy themes, but I am lumping them in together as a poll option due to the similarities as with the monks and such.

Original Trilogy - Monks (CE)
Original Trilogy - Monk/Choir (H2)
Original Trilogy - Monk Chanting (H3 Example)

ODST - more Percussion/Jazzy tone

Reach: No Monk

H4 - What I Call “Chanting Woman”

Or would you prefer something entirely new?

I definitely loved the monks, and it brings me back to the Halo I knew and loved. Returning to Halo 3 last week, there were times I would sit in the lobby and listen.

Of course, this is mostly a “nostalgia” thing, but I would much rather have the older layout of the menus and UI from every other Halo game (even Halo Wars had it) brought back than some nostalgic music, though it would be nice to say the least.

I’m gonna go with monks first. I can deal with no vocals and the orchestra approach that Reach had.

Please, just no more people screeching when the game starts up, or at all.

I liked Reach and Halo 2’s soundtracks best. I think the Reclaimer trilogy (from this point out) should search to find a healthy balance between the monks and Reach’s instrumental yet powerful music.

What the trilogy (original) did right musically:

-Adventurous and heroic feels mixed with ups and downs.

-Bada$s guitar solos

-Great use of the piano.

What Reach did right musically:

-Pure emotional power was fused through the soundtrack.

-Right tracks at exactly right times.

-Adventurous and heroic feeling while still including ups and downs, but still fitting the nature of a tragedy perfectly.

I voted Return to the Monks - Original Trilogy Style.

Even though I thought ODST had one of the best soundtracks, I think its signature tone will always be unique to the ODST story. Everything sounded cooler, rather than extravagant. The jazz from ODST is also a result from its setting. You (Rookie) are a detective in a dark, dangerous and rainy city. Mombassa Streets perfectly echoes the themes of noir and jazz typically compliments it.

Roll call will always be my favourite Halo soundtrack, so i think i will go with 3/CE…both those games had the best music IMO.

Can I have a “Loved them all but want a new style” option?

The menu theme with the chanting woman is called “Atonement” and was composed by Kazuma Jinnouchi (he composed "Never Forget(Midnight Version)).
I actually really like it.
I feel that the Gregorian monks were a trademark of Martin O’Donnell’s composition for Halo. It wouldn’t feel right for another composer to try and mimic his work.
Plus the woman’s chanting in “Atonement” sort of has a certain feel of “loss” to it. Which I feel is appropriate for Halo 4.

i think the monks and choir would be best, it brings back some of the halo 2 nostalgia, it sort of makes sense in a triology sense, and it is just plain awesome. i think it provides the most variety out of any of the main menu themes. i would love to see some original stuff in there too, maybe a more percussion based piece to go with the darker theme

No votes for Halo 4 lol.

IMO, the original trilogy music will always be my favorite for Halo music, or for any video game music.

Chanting monks all the way!!!

> The menu theme with the chanting woman is called “Atonement” and was composed by Kazuma Jinnouchi (he composed "Never Forget(Midnight Version)).

Really? Its funny, because of all the Halo 4 soundtrack, i’d say that ‘Atonement’ is the most hated one among the community. Everybody says they hate the chanting woman for some reason…yet they openly appreciate Kazuma’s work more than Neil’s. Ironic isn’t it?

I loved the Monks Trilogy version. I hope for Halo 5 that it plays in the background of the multiplayer screen!

> I voted Return to the Monks - Original Trilogy Style.
>
> Even though I thought ODST had one of the best soundtracks, I think its signature tone will always be unique to the ODST story. Everything sounded cooler, rather than extravagant. The jazz from ODST is also a result from its setting. You (Rookie) are a detective in a dark, dangerous and rainy city. Mombassa Streets perfectly echoes the themes of noir and jazz typically compliments it.

The Rookie is Batman. Didn’t you know?

> Can I have a “Loved them all but want a new style” option?

^THIS^

Plus, I very much enjoy Never Forget (Midnight Version) for main menu music, it’s a better option than what Halo 4’s main menu has. You don’t want any music on the main menu that makes your ears bleed when you’re listening to it with headphones, like I do a lot.

The Halo 4 menu music is beautiful.

…at first.

And then the screeching came.

And lo, Clonecam never heard a thing ever again.

A core Halo game without the original theme… it’s just not right. Certain things are synonymous with Halo and just should never be changed, the theme is one of those things.

The Original Trilogy had the best music overall. The blend of strings, winds, voice, percussion, and the touch of synthesizer were awesome and gave us such great songs like One Final Effort and the original Unforgotten/Never Forget, just to name 2. That said, the melancholy instrumentals of Reach were beautiful and well-utilized, if not too heavy on the percussion. ODST’s jazz as you call it was awesome and fit the mood, but still stuck in that “Halo” feel.

Halo 4’s score was good to great, but not fantastic like the first games. I like the heavier presence of brass, which were near absent in the first trilogy. That said, the opening screeching lady thing is disgusting, and the songs were often too repetitive (ALL THE TIME) or too electronic for my liking. Even worse, all the old trilogy themes were absent, especially THE theme.

But there were some great tracks, 117, Green and Blue, and the new Never Forget especially.

I’d love a good blend. Get the themes from the first trilogy going with some nice brass, add in a dash of instrumental glory and jazzy goodness, and you have yourself an awesome soundtrack.

Halo2 ofcourse nothing beats that.

> Kind of curious - people seem to dislike H4 music, especially it’s placement in the game. And since we all hear the Main Menu music for at least a second or two (Some of us like to sit on there and listen), which general theme would you prefer? I’ve linked examples of the choices below so you can take a listen if you’ve forgotten. I know there are some differences between the original trilogy themes, but I am lumping them in together as a poll option due to the similarities as with the monks and such.
>
>
> Original Trilogy - Monks (CE)
> Original Trilogy - Monk/Choir (H2)
> Original Trilogy - Monk Chanting (H3 Example)
>
> ODST - more Percussion/Jazzy tone
>
> <mark>Reach: No Monk</mark>
>
> H4 - What I Call “Chanting Woman”
>
> Or would you prefer something entirely new?

Reach did have monks.

I don’t really mind, I just want better in-game audio settings.