Which of the Halo novels should I get?

After playing Halo 4; particularly Spartan Ops, and reading the recently released bios for Dr. Halsey and Jul 'Mdama, I get the sense that I’m missing a critical aspect of the Halo storyline. I haven’t bought any of the Halo novels since the first 3 (Fall of Reach, The Flood, and First Strike), and I know there have been many more since then.

The ones I have my eye on are Ghosts of Onyx, Contact Harvest, and Glasslands. Will these ones help to fill in the gaps, or are there others that I should consider? I know Onyx is mentioned in the bios for Halsey and 'Mdama, as well as the story descriptions for Ghosts of Onyx and Glasslands; it seems that planet plays an important role in the Halo storyline.

Ghost’s of Onyx.

I haven’t read glasslands, but from what I’ve heard, it’s a lot different from the classic halo stories. As far as Ghosts of Onyx and Contact Harvest, I’d go with the former.

Ghosts is based more-so around the spartans and forerunner tech. Contact concentrates on the UNSC infantry (Sgt Johnson is a key character!) and the origins of human-covenant first contact.

Both great books! I’d even throw in the short stories collection: Halo Evolutions. Because it can touch on so many parts of the universe, it’s a great way to expand your understanding and appreciation of the (halo) universe.

> I haven’t read glasslands, but from what I’ve heard, it’s a lot different from the classic halo stories. As far as Ghosts of Onyx and Contact Harvest, I’d go with the former.
>
> Ghosts is based more-so around the spartans and forerunner tech. Contact concentrates on the UNSC infantry (Sgt Johnson is a key character!) and the origins of human-covenant first contact.
>
> Both great books! I’d even throw in the short stories collection: Halo Evolutions. Because it can touch on so many parts of the universe, it’s a great way to expand your understanding and appreciation of the (halo) universe.

What about Glasslands? I read the description for the book, and it seems like the story of Onyx doesn’t end with Ghosts.

I read all three books, and here is my rundown of each, or at least as much as I can remember.

Contact Harvest is basically what you would expect, humans and Covenant meet for the first time and things go badly. It also explains exactly why the Covenant went to war with humans in the first place. However, in terms of knowledge about Halo 4, it doesn’t provide much of anything. Of the three, it is the only one not to end in a cliffhanger.

Ghosts of Onyx is interesting, as it has information on the Spartan III’s and helps set up part of Glasslands. It’s not essential to read it before Glasslands, though you may be a little lost if you don’t read it first.

Glasslands is more centered on how ONI is evil than anything, with the whole Onyx thing being subordinate to that. This one is almost required reading,as it explains who the new Covenant are and why Halsey is sentenced to death for being captured for five minutes. I also had more issues with it(government funded terrorism seen as the only way to protect the blessed homeland rather then helping to rebuild). I don’t know, just kinda left a bad feeling in my mouth. If your not concerned with minor spoilers:

ONI funds the ultra religious Elite group that opposes the Arbiter with the hopes that this will weaken the Elites enough to keep them from being a threat, despite the Human-Elite alliance being in place. Since they form the Storm Covenant in Halo 4, we see how well that played out.