which is canon HW2 cutscenes or gameplay?

So traditionally gameplay has been treated at least in my experience as non-canon but with Halo Wars 2 I’m honestly confused, which is canon with the renders? The cutscenes that use the Insurrectionist Era Marine BDU or the gameplay model that is its own design, this question is also directed towards the MJOLNIR used by Red Team

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

cool:)

Personally I base canon off of which resources have the highest quality. So for halo wars 2, cutscenes>high poly menu renders>blitz cards>in game models.

Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo Wars 2’s cinematics have the canon aesthetic imo.

But given the change in art-styles, I still categorize the 343 Marine armor designs as cadet variants after Forward Unto Dawn. At least then the padding and palette make sense.
Then the Reach armor fills the army/military police roles, and the Blur armor designs fit the Marines and ODSTs.
You know, if you want to be inclusive.

All I know is I positively cannot STAND those instances when canonically I know we’re supposed to be “pretending” something looks otherwise than it does, when it’s not actually appearing that way in the cutscenes because of memory limitations/inability to include multiple models. I understand the devs cannot help it sometimes, but I’d urge them to limit those as much as humanly possible. They make my OCD brain itch. And I cannot scratch it.

Personally, I see the cutscene designs as canon because A), the cut-scenes present a realistic visual representation as opposed to cartoonish style of what we see in-game, and B) because the designs of the cutscenes look much better imo. I mean, I don’t think there really can be any argument that the “Insurrection-era” BDU for UNSC troops looks by far the best, same with the classic designs of MJOLNIR. I do not understand why 343 and Bungie before it felt the need to redesign everything on a constant basis rather than keeping a standard aesthetic.

> 2533274936927904;1:
> So traditionally gameplay has been treated at least in my experience as non-canon but with Halo Wars 2 I’m honestly confused, which is canon with the renders? The cutscenes that use the Insurrectionist Era Marine BDU or the gameplay model that is its own design, this question is also directed towards the MJOLNIR used by Red Team

Why not both?
Halo Wars 1 the same problem, just not easily noticed. For example, this doesn’t match 100% with what we see in the cutscenes.The main difference is with the helmets and shoulder pauldrons. I personally believe the SOF marines have access to different armor attachments/accessories (Forge had his own unique shoulder pauldron and Genesis shows an EVA variant). When looking at the Marines in the HW1 cutscenes and compare them to HW2 ones, you’ll see the face mask, helmets and shoulder pauldrons are different as well, though face mask aside its not massively different, allowing me to stick with this idea.
Now, when looking at the in game armor for HW2, it looks(to me at least) like a lighter version of the armor we see in game of HW1. Take a look at this, imagine there is more armor on the legs, that the shoulder pauldrons are bulkier and the uniform is black instead of white, or look at this and just imagine the pants are black, and it’ll be almost identical to what we in game for HW1. So basically I see it can easily just be a different types or way to wear the same base type of armor.
As for the Red Teams armor, Douglas got new modified armor from Isabel, its possible that the in game armor represents the modified version she eventually gives each of them and the cutscenes show what Alice and Jerome is wearing before then.

I always assumed that the cutscene design is canon over the in-game design.

I agree cutscenes are closer to canon.
The blitz cards look like representations of the in-game models (Those marine shoulders are HUGE!) as opposed to the cutscene models.

Yeah they use only one render in the cutscene and another in the gameplay but there might be a lot variation between what gear different Induviduals use. Like in halo 3 ODST the squad had all ODST gear but a different variations of it.

The cutscenes are definitely more canon than gameplay assets.

Another perspective is that, for the purposes of the story itself, the cutscenes are canon, but in the time after the initial battles between the UNSC and the Banished as Isabel continues to re-equip the UNSC troops of the SoF with up-to-date postwar equipment, the unit card art and gameplay becomes more canon, though I’d hope the cutscenes of story DLC if we get it would reflect this.