Which game had better graphics for its time?

Just a quick suggestion for the design style of Halo 5. They should follow the Halo 3’s style graphics. It had a unique look to it: clean but detailed, that was very appealing. There was a use of high contrastthat causes for the iconic Halo look that I love. Also, the graphics still seem pretty solid today because of that art style.

Halo 4 does have better graphics, no doubt. But it tends to get ‘mushy’ at times, and the hard work doesn’t seem to stand out:
It looks more like Halo 2’s graphics!

Another Halo 3 screenshot

So what do you think?

Halo 4’s graphics nearly pushed the 360 to it’s limits, so there’s obviously one answer to this…

I was honestly disappointed when I first saw Halo 3’s graphics. I expected it to be less geometric with it’s models.

I would say Halo 3 looked nice for its time, but remember this? Look at their heads

> I would say Halo 3 looked nice for its time, but remember this? Look at their heads

Those are some nice heads, that’s where the “too geometric” came from.

I remember fans complaining that Halo 3’s graphics weren’t good enough at the time, because they expected a bigger jump from one gen to the next.
I’ve always considered Halo 3’s graphics to be pretty decent though.

I’d have to say that graphically, Halo 4 is probably more impressive for its time.
The problem with Halo 4 is that it seems to have devolved graphically when it comes to Forge. Halo 3 and Reach seem to have better Forge graphics.
Look at the graphics of Forge Island, it looks very unimpressive (to put it nicely).

> I remember fans complaining that Halo 3’s graphics weren’t good enough at the time, because they expected a bigger jump from one gen to the next.
> I’ve always considered Halo 3’s graphics to be pretty decent though.
>
> I’d have to say that graphically, Halo 4 is probably more impressive for its time.
> The problem with Halo 4 is that it seems to have devolved graphically when it comes to Forge. Halo 3 and Reach seem to have better Forge graphics.
> Look at the graphics of Forge Island, it looks very unimpressive (to put it nicely).

Halo 3 had it right with the Forge Graphics, all of the objects are much more detailed and more believable.

I loved the H3 graphics and still do. I think H4 was a beautiful game but there were times that H4 seemed like a dark game. For example, I’m super happy that 343i is bringing the pit back but it looks more dreary than H3. I liked the bright colors from H3 that gave it a really unique look.

What’s with all the Halo 3 hate? It’s graphics still hold up surprisingly well, and its art style was by far my favorite of the series. The lighting effects on the Spartan models is still the best in all the Halo game to date.

Also, 343 needs to step up their game for the character models. that’s the one thing graphically that irks me the most about Halo 4. You’ve got fantastic looking environments, beautiful cutscenes, but switch to multiplayer and all the Spartan models look like they’re made out plastic. Just look at the OP’s posted Halo 4 image.

I’m not a 343 hater, but…
The Spartan models in Halo 4 need a TON of improvement.
To name a few…

• We don’t want PowerRanger Spartans. Fix it please :).
  • Who the h*** thought of making the undersuit colored? Ever wonder why Master Chief looks sooo much better? Fix it please :).
  • What’s up with the visors in Halo 4? Did we go back to 1998? Fix it please :slight_smile:

And MORE CONSTRAST IN MODELS!!

I’m going to compare some cutscenes from Halo 3 and Halo 4

This is the first scene from the Ark from Halo 3: Bang! I think it looks really nice given the fact that it was new tech to Bungie at the time, it has a lot going on, it is action packed, a lot is going on it looks fairly nice

This is from when the UNSC Infinity crashes onto Requiem Bam! What can I say, it looks fairly realistic, the clouds, rocks and grass look gorgeous for a video game, the Infinity is just beautiful

Both games look really good for the time periods they were released

From Halo 3 we have the Forward Unto Dawn on the Ark: Boop! It is pretty detailed and is a nice backdrop for the time period it was released

From Halo 4 we have the Infinity on Reclaimer Blip! It’s more detailed than the FuD in Halo 3, I’d like to see the FuD in this resolution, there’s even a lot of detail on Chiefs armour which is really good looking

Both Halo 3 and 4 are absolutely good looking for their times

Halo III used light bloom and used it well. The stricter color pallet was much better in the long run. Watch live streaming and compare the games.

I liked Halo 3’s art style but Halo 4 wins by far with the graphics for its time. Halo 4 pushed the console to its limits so it looks next gen like Crysis 3.

The majority opinion here is clear and I agree with it personally as well.

Halo 3 - Great Aesthetics

Halo Reach/4 - Great Graphics