Which character's death would hurt the most?

I’ve been thinking about this for a long time regarding the fate of Cortana. I honestly think killing Cortana at some point in the trilogy would be an extremely effective move. Believe me, I’d be absolutely heart-broken to see Cortana die, but … I’ve never really had that emotional connection with a character in a video game before. If 343 can pull that off, it would be an incredible testament to their seemingly incredible storytelling capabilities. Just something to discuss.

How would you feel if Cortana died?
What about the Arbiter and/or Buck if they return?

Cortana, without a doubt.

I agree about the fact that Cortana’s death would be interesting: it makes sense (she’s spiraling into rampancy after all) and it would help develop the Chief’s character in new ways.
I would like to see the Arbiter return and NOT die. He’s awesome.

Master Chief. That would be the death of Halo right there.

Honestly they have set up Cortana’s death so heavily I’m dissapointed if it doesn’t happen. For once there could actually be a good death in Halo (unlike Johnson’s weakass one or any of the Reach crew)

I think the series needs that emotional push. I didn’t feel saddened by Johnson’s, just a wee bit down. However, while I do agree that most of the Reach deaths were too emphasized for such little character development, I will say that Kat’s death disturbed me quite a bit. Maybe it was because she was a female soldier in the middle of a sentence like nothing was wrong and BAM. That one hit me. Not particularly rough though.

The deaths in this game need to be sad, the ones in Reach were just awful.

For me Jorge was the only slightest touching death. He was the only guy who was with me on every mission while everyone else came and left. Noble TEAM? It felt like Six and Five duo.

Kat was a bit shocking but meh.

Cortana. The only person I even remotly felt emotion for.

any of the Spartan 2’s and 3’s I don’t care for the Spartan 4’s as we have not seen any of them. I would hate to see cortana die but at the same time i would love it as it would take a real twist to the campaign and i think it would be good, also Halsey is still alive so her brain could create a new cortana :smiley:

Reach handled “emotional connection” extremely badly. It tried hard to give every character (except Jun) memorable and emotional deaths, but in the end it didn’t work because we didn’t like the characters in the first place. I thought Kat’s death scene in itself would be very sad and touching… except that I had no interest whatsoever in the character. Jorge was epic, but uninteresting. I was glad when Carter and Emile died. Noble Six’s death slightly touched me, but he was the player after all.

If any character from ODST died, it would be more emotionally affecting. ODST handled its characters very well, and I would be genuinely upset if any of the characters died in the Reclaimer Trilogy.

Jacob Keyes and Johnsons’ deaths hit me hard. Miranda Keyes to some extent as well, although I didn’t particularly feel emotionally invested in her. I only felt sad because she represented her father.

If Master Chief died, I would be shaken pretty badly - which is probably enough reason to suspect that 343 will kill him off in Halo 6.

Cortarna too, she’ll probably die to upset the player, but that doesn’t make it any less sad.

If Jun returned and died, I would laugh. Unless they made him more interesting.

Anyone from Halo Wars returning to die wouldn’t affect me too much.

If the Arbiter died, I would be pretty traumatized. He was awesome.

If a Spartan from the expanded universe (Eric Nylund’s books, Grey Team, Naomi, etc) died, it would be upsetting to a varying degree. Fred/Linda/Kelly/the rest of the surviving Spartan 2s dying would be very sad, especially if MC witnessed it. I might be sad if Halsey died, depending on how The Thursday War characterizes her. She was pretty dislikeable in Glasslands.

If 343 introduces a new team of Spartans and manages to develop them well and make players genuinely care for them, I’ll probably be badly hit if they died.

I think if Cortana was to be killed off, she should be killed by something, not just rampancy.

Because then we’d get to see Master Chief going on an insane murderous revenge killing spree.

Cortana without a doubt.
And the Chief. But he wouldn’t die in Halo 4.

> I think if Cortana was to be killed off, she should be killed by something, not just rampancy.
>
>
> Because then we’d get to see Master Chief going on an insane murderous revenge killing spree.

I doubt he’d do that although he would be certainly upset.

> > I think if Cortana was to be killed off, she should be killed by something, not just rampancy.
> >
> >
> > Because then we’d get to see Master Chief going on an insane murderous revenge killing spree.
>
> I doubt he’d do that although he would be certainly upset.

It’d still be an awesome cut scene though…

Arbiter, considering that I never really saw Cortana other than in H2 and Arbiter was the best thing ever to happen to friendly AI. Nonetheless, John has my sympathy if anything should happen to Cortana.

Cortana.

Johnson… Oh wait!

On a serious note, the Arbiter (if he shows up in Halo 4). He is my favorite character.

> > > I think if Cortana was to be killed off, she should be killed by something, not just rampancy.
> > >
> > >
> > > Because then we’d get to see Master Chief going on an insane murderous revenge killing spree.
> >
> > I doubt he’d do that although he would be certainly upset.
>
> It’d still be an awesome cut scene though…

I’d rather see her dying by sacrifising herself to destroy a big group of enemies while the Chief has to go to save the world.

Actually, I wouldn’t like to see her die at all. She was kind off iconic next to the Chief. (=

I am okay with anybody’s death as long as they make it good and it isn’t caused by 3 colors of lasers lol

I honestly can’t see Cortana dying. There are still 2 games to go with the rest of this trilogy, and right now, we are dealing with foreunner technology. Perhaps along the way, they may find a way to quell her rampancy because if the monitor could survive for so long as an AI, they could find a way to do the same for her.