Which book should I read?

I know what the halo universe is like. A lot of my info has been from the games, and reading up on minor details. I would like to explore a little more of halo before halo 4.

So with that,what book should I read?

I want to learn about the story line leading up to halo 4. Such as why are the covenant fighting us again, and how forerunners tie into it.

I’ve been told to read Thursday Wars.

The four most important books, that is the ones leading directly into Halo 4, are the two Greg Bear Novels, Cryptum and Primordium as well as Karen Traviss’ Novels, Glasslands and The Thursday War.

Greg Bear tackles the Forerunner 100,000 years ago.
Karen Traviss tackles the modern universe post-Covenant War.

> The four most important books, that is the ones leading directly into Halo 4, are the two Greg Bear Novels, Cryptum and Primordium as well as Karen Traviss’ Novels, Glasslands and The Thursday War.
>
> Greg Bear tackles the Forerunner 100,000 years ago.
> Karen Traviss tackles the modern universe post-Covenant War.

I think I’m going to go with Halo: The Thursday War

> > The four most important books, that is the ones leading directly into Halo 4, are the two Greg Bear Novels, Cryptum and Primordium as well as Karen Traviss’ Novels, Glasslands and The Thursday War.
> >
> > Greg Bear tackles the Forerunner 100,000 years ago.
> > Karen Traviss tackles the modern universe post-Covenant War.
>
> I think I’m going to go with Halo: The Thursday War

Did you read Glasslands? Thursday War is Part 2 of 3. Glasslands should come first if it hasn’t already.

> The four most important books, that is the ones leading directly into Halo 4, are the two Greg Bear Novels, Cryptum and Primordium as well as Karen Traviss’ Novels, Glasslands and The Thursday War.
>

Banamy I totally agree Nihilus. If you actually want to know the fiction behind the prologue of Halo 4, you need to read the Forerunner Saga. Greg Bear is an amazing author and introduces you to the Didact, who before these books, was only fairly mentioned in the terminals of Halo 3. Since the Didact is the bad guy in Halo 4, I suggest you read Cryptum, at the minimum. If you really want to know who the Didact is you will have to muddle your way trough the second book, Primordium, which takes another perspective of the Halo Universe. In those two books are so many revelations that will blow your mind! One in fact blew me away in the first book that I just couldn’t believe it. Anyway don’t Grasslands or Thursday War just yet.

>

Banamy I totally agree Nihilus. If you actually want to know the fiction behind the prologue of Halo 4, you need to read the Forerunner Saga. Greg Bear is an amazing author and introduces you to the Didact, who before these books, was only fairly mentioned in the terminals of Halo 3. Since the Didact is the bad guy in Halo 4, I suggest you read Cryptum, at the minimum. If you really want to know who the Didact is you will have to muddle your way trough the second book, Primordium, which takes another perspective of the Halo Universe. In those two books are so many revelations that will blow your mind! One in fact blew me away in the first book that I just couldn’t believe it. Anyway don’t Grasslands or Thursday War just yet.

You shouldn’t read The Thursday War before reading Glasslands. I mean, I guess TTW is all you need to read if you just want to see what connections and setups are made for Halo 4, but you won’t enjoy the characters and story as much if you don’t read Glasslands. TTW is written with the assumption that you’ve read Glasslands.

I think you should read the two Karen Traviss novels first, as it’s way more likely that you’ll finish both books before Halo 4 comes out. There’s plenty of time to read the Bear novels before Halo 4 too, but they’re longer and I think if you’re busy, there’s a chance you might not have enough time to finish them both.