Where's Halo 4s Lasting Appeal?

Playing this game was really fun the first week, but I feel like we could get tired of this game kind of quickly. I’ve probably never felt this conflicted with a Halo game before, not even Reach. I don’t see replay in the campaign, or the multiplayer. I have unlocked everything for a loadout, I have a DMR and a Pistol so what? I don’t hate this game, I like it but I’m worried this can only last a month or two before it gets stale. Does anyone agree? I think Halo 4 might be a little too easy for veteran Halo players, I looked forward to the challenge of a new game. I really think this game needed a beta, because it feels like we’re playing a beta of Halo 4 not a final edition.

343 knows their game has bugs and their going to fix them. Just be patient bro. If this game gets the TU it needs then it will be GOLD.

There’s a slew of these “I just don’t feel like it anymore” posts on these forums which begs a very simple question:

Maybe it’s just you.

Maybe you’ve grown up a bit and mindless multiplayer centered around a few precision automatic weapons just doesn’t satisfy as it once did. Certainly I’m not having as much fun as in the first few months of Halo 3 but that’s with the experience of years in that game plus years in ODST and Reach. Expecting the magic to happen all over again is just crazy. So you’re just going to have to take Halo 4 on it’s own terms, something to pick up and play every once in a while after the first flourish but not in any sustained burst because you’ve had so many of those already that you just can’t take it anymore.

And to be fair I think Halo 4’s done a lot to improve the franchise, certainly in terms of writing and presentation, just not enough to make it not Halo especially where gameplay’s concerned (new pace, same BR.) Once 343 gets over that then we’ll be in very good business.

I hope it gets a major update, needs to feel more like Halo and have less lag.

I still maintain that while Halo 4 is a good game, it’s not a good Halo game. And that will likely curtail its longevity for most veteran fans.

We’ll see what competitive ranks bring.

It should remove about half of the BS that Halo 4 brought (join in progress mainly, maybe weapon spawns and maybe insta spawn)

We could end up with a decent game with good longevity.

Only time will tell

> There’s a slew of these “I just don’t feel like it anymore” posts on these forums which begs a very simple question:
>
> Maybe it’s just you.
>
> Maybe you’ve grown up a bit and mindless multiplayer centered around a few precision automatic weapons just doesn’t satisfy as it once did. Certainly I’m not having as much fun as in the first few months of Halo 3 but that’s with the experience of years in that game plus years in ODST and Reach. Expecting the magic to happen all over again is just crazy. So you’re just going to have to take Halo 4 on it’s own terms, something to pick up and play every once in a while after the first flourish but not in any sustained burst because you’ve had so many of those already that you just can’t take it anymore.
>
> And to be fair I think Halo 4’s done a lot to improve the franchise, certainly in terms of writing and presentation, just not enough to make it not Halo especially where gameplay’s concerned (new pace, same BR.) Once 343 gets over that then we’ll be in very good business.

Awesome post… nice to see things from an objective perspective. Job well done my good sir.

I think I’ve figured out what this game is missing. Halo 4s graphics are too good, it’s gameplay is too smooth, it’s too elegant. There’s a part of classic Halo that can’t have these elements, Halo games need to be more rough around the edges and less perfect. It doesn’t have that, I’ll get a few friends and have a blast on MP feel. I still feel like Halo 4 has a ton of potential though.

> I think I’ve figured out what this game is missing. Halo 4s graphics are too good, it’s gameplay is too smooth, it’s too elegant. There’s a part of classic Halo that can’t have these elements, Halo games need to be more rough around the edges and less perfect. It doesn’t have that, I’ll get a few friends and have a blast on MP feel. I still feel like Halo 4 has a ton of potential though.

They just need to rebalance weapons, fix glitches etc, and take off the XP cap which is totally uneccisary.

I felt conflicted with Reach.

I felt frustrated and bored with Halo 4.

bleh, not for me. Just not now

> Maybe it’s just you.

Peak time across North America and BTIS can’t break 50K players. KOTH is going to be lucky if it breaks 3K today. Even if it does, it won’t stay there for long.

Peak population has been declining every day for the last two weeks. There isn’t even a holiday bump from the 3-4 day weekends people had in the U.S.

Something tells me it’s not “just him”.

Your last paragraph is spot on though. It’s just not “Halo”. Microsoft (and, by proxy, 343i) have had years to prepare for the post-Bungie transition and this is the best they can do with all of their resources?

It’s overly optimistic to claim we’ll be “in good shape” if 343i fixes this “not feeling like Halo” issue by Halo 5 because that’s assuming people are willing to wait and then invest in the inevitable next gen system to find out if 343i has “gotten better”.

Captiosus, that is one of the best responses I’ve ever read on this forum: it’s coherent, objective, grammatically correct, and I also happen to strongly agree with your viewpoint. Well done.

> Captiosus, that is one of the best responses I’ve ever read on this forum: it’s coherent, objective, grammatically correct, and I also happen to strongly agree with your viewpoint. Well done.

This.

Needs a 1-50 ranking system. With the number displayed right next to your name. It’s simple, really.

1. the level cap really 130 people are hitting it within a month make it harder to level up like really harder so it will be better for the long run
  2. bring back maps like pit and guardian and a few other that people want to see
  3. put weapons on the map even if its the simple BR or dmr
  4. Bring us back all are old playlist plz
  5. a simple score system for the story or even spartan ops just simple things like that make a game fill so much better
    thats all im asking

> It’s overly optimistic to claim we’ll be “in good shape” if 343i fixes this “not feeling like Halo” issue by Halo 5 because that’s assuming people are willing to wait and then invest in the inevitable next gen system to find out if 343i has “gotten better”.

It bugs me when people say “well, hopefully they’ll get things right with Halo 5”. I mean, I (and we) waited a long time for Halo 4. I got myself hyped up, watched multiplayer gameplay (steered clear of any spoilers), totally believed in 343 and convinced myself the future of Halo was bright. I have absolutely no intention of waiting for Halo 5 now. It’s going to be on a next-gen console, one which I have no intention of buying.

Halo 4 was always going to be my last Halo, (unless they decide to release Halo 2 with updated visuals) and I’m so sorry to say it’s going out with a whimper instead of a bang. At least I now know for sure that I don’t want to be a part of where it’s heading. I’m content to stick with the original trilogy, ODST and even (to an extent) Reach.

> > Maybe it’s just you.
>
> Peak time across North America and BTIS can’t break 50K players. KOTH is going to be lucky if it breaks 3K today. Even if it does, it won’t stay there for long.
>
> Peak population has been declining every day for the last two weeks. There isn’t even a holiday bump from the 3-4 day weekends people had in the U.S.
>
> Something tells me it’s not “just him”.

Well you are taking the just part of my post a little too far. I wasn’t at all trying to say “It’s just you, the rest of us are having a great time.” What I’m trying to point out is that maybe the problem isn’t entirely with how 343 handled the game but rather how much we’ve handled the series. Just think of what else you were up to back when the world was young and Halo was new. I was in middle school. I’m pursuing a graduate degree now. I’ve gone from “just a little too old for recess” to nearly having a career. I can’t expect my old tastes in food, TV, movies, music, and women to hold up now, so why gaming? Why do we act as though pistols on blood gulch (through it’s derivative DMR’s on Ragnarok) should be great fun (if it only weren’t for 343!) when we obviously don’t hold the rest of our lives so accountable?

> Your last paragraph is spot on though. It’s just not “Halo”. Microsoft (and, by proxy, 343i) have had years to prepare for the post-Bungie transition and this is the best they can do with all of their resources?
>
> It’s overly optimistic to claim we’ll be “in good shape” if 343i fixes this “not feeling like Halo” issue by Halo 5 because that’s assuming people are willing to wait and then invest in the inevitable next gen system to find out if 343i has “gotten better”.

Meh, I’m a pretty optimistic guy and there are a few pretty good examples of later games of a series wiping the slate clean (COD 4, FFVII). My hope with Halo is that 343 takes the lesson of Halo 4 as “well, that doesn’t work anymore” and moves on to try something new with 5. Perhaps with a game under their belt they may feel more confident working with the franchise that they move it in a less familiar direction than Big Team Slayer. In any case I personally don’t see there being much reason (or point) to be pessimistic now. Just take it as it comes and make the most of it.

Game needs a ranked and social playlist with visible true skill in ranked playlists. The EXP limit should go beyond level 130 just like how in Halo 3 you could keep getting EXP even after you hit a 5 star general.

Yes this maybe true that 343 will eventually fix stuff but its too late. The population of Halo 4 is less than 200k, the game isnt even a month old yet! Please dont use cod as a excuse because ever since Halo 2 there has always been cod and Halo still had good numbers until reach. They should of waited to release the game until the game was balanced and less buggy. This game had so much potential but lets be honest the game isnt even half finished and the people that left Halo 4 for Black Ops 2 or some other game wont be coming back. First impression is everything and 343 failed at that.