Where would you take Halo from here?

After reading the Kilo-Five trilogy and watching the Halo 4 and Spartan Ops storylines, I’m feeling concerned about the direction the Halo universe is headed.
I’m sure there are plenty of people who agree when I say that Kilo-Five under Karen Traviss has done considerable damage to the Halo canon. Halo 4’s storyline was, for me at least, a pretty good chapter in the Halo saga, while Spartan Ops unfortunately furthered some of the issues from the Kilo Five trilogy (particularly the Jul 'Mdama and Halsey story threads).

I admit I’ve fantasized about a number of different ways that I’d like to see ONI destroyed and the general direction of Halo altered, which brings me to this question: Do you have a personal opinion on where Halo should be going? Not where it is going, where you want it to go.
More specifically, if you are upset by the general direction of the Reclaimer story arc, what do you think ought to happen storywise to steer Halo back on track, short of declaring Traviss and 343’s work non-canon?

For instance, I’d like for the UNSC command to wake up and stop being led around by the nose by ONI. I really want Hood to actually put his foot down on Osman’s misuse of the Infinity, humanity’s only real defence at the moment, to stop the genocide/destabilization campaign against the Sangheili, and basically undo everything Parangosky started… And especially call off the manhunt against Dr. Halsey.
Humans are never going to attain the legendary “Mantle” if we’re acting like a bunch of backstabbing, treacherous, remorseless sneaks.
This especially goes for the UNSC’s relations with the Sangheili; meddling in their affairs, bombarding their planet, and plotting to eventually exterminate them is a very poor policy. I’d like to see the UNSC back off from Sanghelios and agree to leave the Elites alone; the Storm Covenant and Jul 'Mdama are pretty much entirely the fault of ONI. If the UNSC would just focus on expanding, rebuilding and stabilizing, the Halo universe would be a much better place.

Please note that I’m mostly starting this thread for those who are dissatisfied with the Kilo-Five storyline; if you disagree with me about the direction the Halo universe is headed, go ahead and say so, but realize that this thread isn’t meant as a Karen Traviss/343 debate. I just want to hear people’s ideas about what they really want to see in future Halo stories.

I’ve never been a comic book guy, but I’ve so far purchased all three (3/12) of the latest Halo: Escalation. This is the most up to date media we have in regards to Halo lore. I have to say, without revealing an ounce, that I am very interested in the direction of Halo’s storyline.

I do agree with wanting the UNSC to show a bit more spine.
ONI needs a -Yoink- slap and a kick up the -Yoink- for the -Yoink- they’ve been pulling.

Kilo-Five dissatisfaction threads pop up every now and then, and while I can agree that some of the writing is sub-par, I have yet to notice any “damage to the Halo canon.” I’m not being argumentative; I legitimately can’t recall anything that has damaged the plot.

> Kilo-Five dissatisfaction threads pop up every now and then, and while I can agree that some of the writing is sub-par, I have yet to notice any “damage to the Halo canon.” I’m not being argumentative; I legitimately can’t recall anything that has damaged the plot.

For me it wasn’t so much plot rewriting as it was character killing.
The way Traviss rewrote pretty much every preexisting character going into Glasslands really annoyed me; for example, depicting Halsey as a spineless, whiny, self-possessed, spoiled child, making CPO Mendez do a 180-degree personality flip and suddenly start hating Halsey, or even making Hood into a senile old fool who’s somehow subordinate to Parangosky and whose actions matter little. Look at the way ONI was knocking down Hood’s attempt at making peace with the Sangheili… Their attitude was basically “Sure, the old guy means well, but without a battle he’s useless. Let him make speeches to the Arbiter about peace, we’ll just go ahead and plot genocide without his knowledge.”

And actually, I am very worried about the direction the Sanghelios storyline is going. Somehow the Elites became clueless, barbaric idiots in between Ghosts Of Onyx and Glasslands… Not to mention lost most of their ships and Engineers unexplainedly, though that’s for another thread.

Plus, the way Spartan Ops has Halsey on the run, Requiem destroyed along with the Librarian imprint (humanity’s only Forerunner “ally”), and the Chief’s story basically left untouched isn’t necessarily the best storytelling I’ve seen in Halo. Of course, this storyline is unresolved, so it may work out just fine in the end.

The paragraph above concerns me.

Why does ONI want to kill the Elites if their betrayal of the Covenant was directly responsible for humanity winning the war?

The Sanghelli left with a massive chunk of already incensed Ungoy, most of the Legeko, and probably all of the Huragok.
Not to mention all the non-devout Kig-yar (most of them) and a good deal of Yan’mea.

The Covies suddenly lost their navel superiority and got wrecked on the ground and in space.

Humanity NEEDS to be allying with the Elites and the Engineers to properly combat the Flood.

I’d probably continue the path of Escalation, where Humanity and several former Covenant client species attempt to live in some kind of weary peace, with several splinter factions out to destroy this very fragile relationship.

> The paragraph above concerns me.
>
> Why does ONI want to kill the Elites if their betrayal of the Covenant was directly responsible for humanity winning the war?
>
> The Sanghelli left with a massive chunk of already incensed Ungoy, most of the Legeko, and probably all of the Huragok.
> Not to mention all the non-devout Kig-yar (most of them) and a good deal of Yan’mea.
>
> The Covies suddenly lost their navel superiority and got wrecked on the ground and in space.
>
> Humanity NEEDS to be allying with the Elites and the Engineers to properly combat the Flood.

ONI still sees them as a threat that can rise and go at war with humanity again. So they have decided amongst themselves kill the threat before it even becomes one. Which is hilarious since they made the non-threat a rather big threat now. Kind of applies to the real world a bit…don’t it? Ignore the last question. If the Arbiter and company find out how this all came to be…well…his look upon humans may differ.

1.Make the return of the Flood/Precursors more relevant with heavy foreshadowing even in the NEW comics.

2.Give more subtle hints about what happened to Chief after he removed his armor on Infinity’s S-deck.

Release the debrief report of Master Chief as condensed version of whatever happened through the eyes and mind of the character we were playing from Halo 2 to Halo 4. His thoughts at the time. His observations and coclusions regarding significant events transpiring around and in front of him. What his views on the characters were and how he generally felt fighting for such a long time. Basically the whole Debrief report as similar to Dr.Halsey’s journal.

3.Make the SIIs play a very important and crucial role. Use the advantage of Red Teams considerable young age for a SII to give them more meatier roles and combat assignments.
Unite 117 with Blue Team and Naomi. Maybe even pair him up in the game with Naomi and Blue Team being allies to John at certain segments.

Also add in a special misssion where Dr.Halsey’s presence and actions take center stage upon the Spartan IIs.
Where there happens to be quite significant tension between Naomi and John, to the point that they come to blows over it. (a recreation of Ur Didact and Iso Didact face off perhaps?)

1. NO matter how bad the K5 triolgy was, I’d like 343 to introduce BB and the K5 team in the next game. Hire a writer on the same calibre as Schelrf and improve their characters so to speak off, like Schlerf did with Sarah Palmer in Escalations.

2. Make Sarah Palmer take less precedence than Chief in the reclaimer saga, but her role in the universe should still be very important.
    Most of all I would want her to act like an able Enlisted Officer and level headed Commander to her own troops and a morale booster like Sgt.Johnson to other Troopers and Marines.

Exactly where 343i intend it to go, there’s already too much foreshadowing and hinting in place to change everything now.