Where would MC get the idea to find Mendican Bias?

I have been trying to put together an event in my head where chief would have found out about him and reasons to go looking for him.

Well, Mendicant directly communicated with John during Halo 3 as he accessed each of the Terminals - 343 were specific enough to include an achievement for actually viewing the final communication between the two which serves as the connecting tissue between how John ended up at Requiem. So there’s that.

With the Flood looming on the galaxy’s horizon once more in the near-future, it’ll be a case of John understanding Mendicant’s past and why he was preserved on the Lesser Ark - as Bornstellar puts it, to be found should the Flood one day return due to Mendicant’s intimate knowledge of the parasite. How John would find this stuff out? A geas, unlocking certain memories, Forerunner Terminals, direct Forerunner contact… there’s plenty of ways it could go down.

Halo 3’s last terminal. Mendicant directly contacts him stating that…

> You’re going to say I’m making a
> habit of turning on my masters.
>
>
> But the one that destroyed me long
> ago, in the upper atmosphere of a
> world far distant from here, was an
> implement far cruder than I.
> My weakness was capacity -
> unintentional though it was! -
> to choose the Flood. A mistake my
> makers would not soon forgive.
>
>
> But I want something far different
> from you, Reclaimer.
>
>
> Atonement.
>
>
> And so here at the end of my life,
> I do once again betray a former
> master. The path ahead is fraught
> with peril. But I will do all I can
> to keep it stable - keep you safe.
> I’m not so foolish to think this
> will absolve me of my sins. One life
> hardly balances billions.
>
>
> But I would have my masters know
> that I have changed.
>
>
> And you shall be my example.

Halo 4’s EVG also confirms that Chief accessing the terminals and contacting Mendicant Bias is canonical, so any doubting of that is foolhardy. Either way, with Mendicant being heavily implied to be the one responsible for the Forward Unto Dawn being sent to Requiem, Chief’s almost certainly going to want answers.

> 2533274811368357;2:
> Well, Mendicant directly communicated with John during Halo 3 as he accessed each of the Terminals - 343 were specific enough to include an achievement for actually viewing the final communication between the two which serves as the connecting tissue between how John ended up at Requiem. So there’s that.
>
> With the Flood looming on the galaxy’s horizon once more in the near-future, it’ll be a case of John understanding Mendicant’s past and why he was preserved on the Lesser Ark - as Bornstellar puts it, to be found should the Flood one day return due to Mendicant’s intimate knowledge of the parasite. How John would find this stuff out? A geas, unlocking certain memories, Forerunner Terminals, direct Forerunner contact… there’s plenty of ways it could go down.

I remember the terminals, I just didn’t think there was mud emphasis from bungie and 343 on it for john to question it as he’s seen plenty enough forerunner stuff, but now that you’ve said that i can kinda see where it can go thanks :slight_smile:

> 2533274876631466;3:
> Halo 3’s last terminal. Mendicant directly contacts him stating that…
>
>
>
> > You’re going to say I’m making a
> > habit of turning on my masters.
> >
> > But the one that destroyed me long
> > ago, in the upper atmosphere of a
> > world far distant from here, was an
> > implement far cruder than I.
> > My weakness was capacity -
> > unintentional though it was! -
> > to choose the Flood. A mistake my
> > makers would not soon forgive.
> >
> > But I want something far different
> > from you, Reclaimer.
> >
> > Atonement.
> >
> > And so here at the end of my life,
> > I do once again betray a former
> > master. The path ahead is fraught
> > with peril. But I will do all I can
> > to keep it stable - keep you safe.
> > I’m not so foolish to think this
> > will absolve me of my sins. One life
> > hardly balances billions.
> >
> > But I would have my masters know
> > that I have changed.
> >
> > And you shall be my example.
>
>
> Halo 4’s EVG also confirms that Chief accessing the terminals and contacting Mendicant Bias is canonical, so any doubting of that is foolhardy. Either way, with Mendicant being heavily implied to be the one responsible for the Forward Unto Dawn being sent to Requiem, Chief’s almost certainly going to want answers.

did bungie have original plans for halo 4 then? because if not and if 343 weren’t to make halo 4 this last message where he says here at the end of my life i betray a former master wouldn’t make any sense at all. It seems as if it was all planned to some extent.

> 2533274809169058;5:
> did bungie have original plans for halo 4 then? because if not and if 343 weren’t to make halo 4 this last message where he says here at the end of my life i betray a former master wouldn’t make any sense at all. It seems as if it was all planned to some extent.

Halo 4 was somewhat planned, before Bungie scrapped it in favour of Reach.

I’m going with the terminal idea from H3

> 2533274809169058;5:
> > 2533274876631466;3:
> > Halo 3’s last terminal. Mendicant directly contacts him stating that…
> >
> >
> >
> > > You’re going to say I’m making a
> > > habit of turning on my masters.
> > >
> > > But the one that destroyed me long
> > > ago, in the upper atmosphere of a
> > > world far distant from here, was an
> > > implement far cruder than I.
> > > My weakness was capacity -
> > > unintentional though it was! -
> > > to choose the Flood. A mistake my
> > > makers would not soon forgive.
> > >
> > > But I want something far different
> > > from you, Reclaimer.
> > >
> > > Atonement.
> > >
> > > And so here at the end of my life,
> > > I do once again betray a former
> > > master. The path ahead is fraught
> > > with peril. But I will do all I can
> > > to keep it stable - keep you safe.
> > > I’m not so foolish to think this
> > > will absolve me of my sins. One life
> > > hardly balances billions.
> > >
> > > But I would have my masters know
> > > that I have changed.
> > >
> > > And you shall be my example.
> >
> >
> >
> > Halo 4’s EVG also confirms that Chief accessing the terminals and contacting Mendicant Bias is canonical, so any doubting of that is foolhardy. Either way, with Mendicant being heavily implied to be the one responsible for the Forward Unto Dawn being sent to Requiem, Chief’s almost certainly going to want answers.
>
>
> did bungie have original plans for halo 4 then? because if not and if 343 weren’t to make halo 4 this last message where he says here at the end of my life i betray a former master wouldn’t make any sense at all. It seems as if it was all planned to some extent.

They did indeed have Halo 4 in mind, but the idea was binned to make Reach instead because they didn’t want to continue a story they knew they couldn’t finish as their final game - it’s one of my favourite Bungie quotes because it’s a wonderful slap in the face to anybody who thought that Halo 3 was any kind of ending for the series when so much was left either unresolved or had new plot points (for instance, the Mendicant Terminal) introduced in the final mission.

Here’s the article with the interview in question.

> "Even before the idea to build a game based around Reach came about, a lot of other concepts were explored, up to and including a proper ‘Halo 4,’ where Master Chief was going to wake up from cryo-sleep and we were going to tell that story. […] it just wasn’t as interesting to the team to just pick up where that left off and all the baggage that came with it. […] We don’t want to open up a whole bunch of doors that we’re not going to close."

> 2533274876631466;3:
> Halo 3’s last terminal. Mendicant directly contacts him stating that…
>
>
>
> > You’re going to say I’m making a
> > habit of turning on my masters.
> >
> > But the one that destroyed me long
> > ago, in the upper atmosphere of a
> > world far distant from here, was an
> > implement far cruder than I.
> > My weakness was capacity -
> > unintentional though it was! -
> > to choose the Flood. A mistake my
> > makers would not soon forgive.
> >
> > But I want something far different
> > from you, Reclaimer.
> >
> > Atonement.
> >
> > And so here at the end of my life,
> > I do once again betray a former
> > master. The path ahead is fraught
> > with peril. But I will do all I can
> > to keep it stable - keep you safe.
> > I’m not so foolish to think this
> > will absolve me of my sins. One life
> > hardly balances billions.
> >
> > But I would have my masters know
> > that I have changed.
> >
> > And you shall be my example.
>
>
> Halo 4’s EVG also confirms that Chief accessing the terminals and contacting Mendicant Bias is canonical, so any doubting of that is foolhardy. Either way, with Mendicant being heavily implied to be the one responsible for the Forward Unto Dawn being sent to Requiem, Chief’s almost certainly going to want answers.

This. Or, a geas perhaps?