Where would John be if....

Just a thought I had.

Where would John be if he was never indoctrinated into the Spartan program?

Well, first off, he wouldn’t be the Master Chief. Everything that he has done from the whole Halo Event to the Battle of the Ark and to stopping the Didact from composing Earth’s population, none of that would’ve happened in the way we remember.

John’s homeworld, Eridanus II, was also a hub for Insurrectionist activity. Maybe he would somehow join up with them, or he could’ve joined the UNSC after humanity first encountered the Covenant.

He’d never be known as a Reclaimer and have the whole Forerunner thing going for him.

If he just stayed put, he probably would’ve been killed by the Covenant’s attack in 2530.

What do you guys think?

He’d probably be dead.

I think he would be part of the planet’s glass, most likely.

> He’d probably be dead.

This. John’s home planet, Eridanus II, was glassed in 2530, pretty early in the Human-Covenant War. He could have survived if his parents had been part of the Insurrectionist that survived in a hollow asteroid. It’s also possible he would have joined the UNSC after his planet was glassed, as the Chief did later meet one of his childhood friends during the Battle of New Mombasa.

Oh, the possibilities of alternate history!

Probably vaporized by the Covenant.

He’d be a very high quality piece of glass. Or just a charred corpse…

> > He’d probably be dead.
>
> This. John’s home planet, Eridanus II, was glassed in 2530, pretty early in the Human-Covenant War. He could have survived if his parents had been part of the Insurrectionist that survived in a hollow asteroid. It’s also possible he would have joined the UNSC after his planet was glassed, as the Chief did later meet one of his childhood friends during the Battle of New Mombasa.
>
> Oh, the possibilities of alternate history!

Assuming he wouldn’t have been glassed, perhaps he would have joined the UNSC alongside her. For all we know he could have become a Spartan IV.

That’s assuming something happened and the galaxy wasn’t obliterated by a Halo, or the Flood didn’t infect everyone, or the Didact didn’t compose all of Humanity.

> > > He’d probably be dead.
> >
> > This. John’s home planet, Eridanus II, was glassed in 2530, pretty early in the Human-Covenant War. He could have survived if his parents had been part of the Insurrectionist that survived in a hollow asteroid. It’s also possible he would have joined the UNSC after his planet was glassed, as the Chief did later meet one of his childhood friends during the Battle of New Mombasa.
> >
> > Oh, the possibilities of alternate history!
>
> Assuming he wouldn’t have been glassed, perhaps he would have joined the UNSC alongside her. For all we know he could have become a Spartan IV.
>
> That’s assuming something happened and the galaxy wasn’t obliterated by a Halo, or the Flood didn’t infect everyone, or the Didact didn’t compose all of Humanity.

Well besides John, candidates for the Spartan Leadership consisted of Fred, Kurt and Jerome. In this alternate universe, it could have been one of them who became “Master Chief” and we have to wonder how exactly they would have fared in John’s place. It’s an interesting concept.

> > > > He’d probably be dead.
> > >
> > > This. John’s home planet, Eridanus II, was glassed in 2530, pretty early in the Human-Covenant War. He could have survived if his parents had been part of the Insurrectionist that survived in a hollow asteroid. It’s also possible he would have joined the UNSC after his planet was glassed, as the Chief did later meet one of his childhood friends during the Battle of New Mombasa.
> > >
> > > Oh, the possibilities of alternate history!
> >
> > Assuming he wouldn’t have been glassed, perhaps he would have joined the UNSC alongside her. For all we know he could have become a Spartan IV.
> >
> > That’s assuming something happened and the galaxy wasn’t obliterated by a Halo, or the Flood didn’t infect everyone, or the Didact didn’t compose all of Humanity.
>
> Well besides John, candidates for the Spartan Leadership consisted of Fred, Kurt and Jerome. In this alternate universe, it could have been one of them who became “Master Chief” and we have to wonder how exactly they would have fared in John’s place. It’s an interesting concept.

Especially if John were to join the UNSC and become a Spartan IV. Imagine him being influenced by the actions of some Spartan-II to join the Spartan-IV program (much in same way Gabriel Thorne was). That would be a very interesting story, I think.

> > > > He’d probably be dead.
> > >
> > > This. John’s home planet, Eridanus II, was glassed in 2530, pretty early in the Human-Covenant War. He could have survived if his parents had been part of the Insurrectionist that survived in a hollow asteroid. It’s also possible he would have joined the UNSC after his planet was glassed, as the Chief did later meet one of his childhood friends during the Battle of New Mombasa.
> > >
> > > Oh, the possibilities of alternate history!
> >
> > Assuming he wouldn’t have been glassed, perhaps he would have joined the UNSC alongside her. For all we know he could have become a Spartan IV.
> >
> > That’s assuming something happened and the galaxy wasn’t obliterated by a Halo, or the Flood didn’t infect everyone, or the Didact didn’t compose all of Humanity.
>
> Well besides John, candidates for the Spartan Leadership consisted of Fred, Kurt and Jerome. In this alternate universe, it could have been one of them who became “Master Chief” and we have to wonder how exactly they would have fared in John’s place. It’s an interesting concept.

I don’t think they would have faired well tbh. I’m not saying they lack the skill, but perhaps the tremendous amount of luck John has (or “probably” wouldn’t have Cortana). I wonder who Cortana would have chosen though…hmmmm. The best thing about john is that he is well rounded at everything.

> > > > > He’d probably be dead.
> > > >
> > > > This. John’s home planet, Eridanus II, was glassed in 2530, pretty early in the Human-Covenant War. He could have survived if his parents had been part of the Insurrectionist that survived in a hollow asteroid. It’s also possible he would have joined the UNSC after his planet was glassed, as the Chief did later meet one of his childhood friends during the Battle of New Mombasa.
> > > >
> > > > Oh, the possibilities of alternate history!
> > >
> > > Assuming he wouldn’t have been glassed, perhaps he would have joined the UNSC alongside her. For all we know he could have become a Spartan IV.
> > >
> > > That’s assuming something happened and the galaxy wasn’t obliterated by a Halo, or the Flood didn’t infect everyone, or the Didact didn’t compose all of Humanity.
> >
> > Well besides John, candidates for the Spartan Leadership consisted of Fred, Kurt and Jerome. In this alternate universe, it could have been one of them who became “Master Chief” and we have to wonder how exactly they would have fared in John’s place. It’s an interesting concept.
>
> I don’t think they would have faired well tbh. I’m not saying they lack the skill, but perhaps the tremendous amount of luck John has (or “probably” wouldn’t have Cortana). I wonder who Cortana would have chosen though…hmmmm. The best thing about john is that he is well rounded at everything.

I would think if Kurt had taken John’s place as Master Chief and been choosen by Cortana, the galaxy would have been fine.

> > > > > He’d probably be dead.
> > > >
> > > > This. John’s home planet, Eridanus II, was glassed in 2530, pretty early in the Human-Covenant War. He could have survived if his parents had been part of the Insurrectionist that survived in a hollow asteroid. It’s also possible he would have joined the UNSC after his planet was glassed, as the Chief did later meet one of his childhood friends during the Battle of New Mombasa.
> > > >
> > > > Oh, the possibilities of alternate history!
> > >
> > > Assuming he wouldn’t have been glassed, perhaps he would have joined the UNSC alongside her. For all we know he could have become a Spartan IV.
> > >
> > > That’s assuming something happened and the galaxy wasn’t obliterated by a Halo, or the Flood didn’t infect everyone, or the Didact didn’t compose all of Humanity.
> >
> > Well besides John, candidates for the Spartan Leadership consisted of Fred, Kurt and Jerome. In this alternate universe, it could have been one of them who became “Master Chief” and we have to wonder how exactly they would have fared in John’s place. It’s an interesting concept.
>
> I don’t think they would have faired well tbh. I’m not saying they lack the skill, but perhaps the tremendous amount of luck John has (or “probably” wouldn’t have Cortana). I wonder who Cortana would have chosen though…hmmmm. The best thing about john is that he is well rounded at everything.

Fred beats John at that, Fred was literally second best at everything, some of which only because he wanted to avoid the attention of being the best.

John’s most advantageous trait was his luck.

I will never understand why bungie decided to make John’s luck actual canon. Or is that something the fans came up with?

> I will never understand why bungie decided to make John’s luck actual canon. Or is that something the fans came up with?

In the Halo 3 intro Cortana explains that she chose John because of his luck, also in “The Package” Halsey references his luck. There may be more instances of his luck being referenced, but these are the two I could call off the top of my head.

John’s luck probably has something to do with his Forerunner geas.

John would more than likely be dead.

Earth would be glassed.

Sangheilios would be in ruins. Probably also glassed.

The Lesser Ark would’ve activated all the Halo rings, killing everything in the galaxy.