Where do Smart A.I.'s fall within command?

As the title says, where exactly do A.I.'s fall within the command structure of the UNSC? This is a question that I’ve been very curious about recently. Obviously A.I.'s still have to listen to the Captain of the ship they are stationed on, but there are examples of Marines taking orders from A.I.'s. A perfect example is Sergeant Johnson referring to Cortana as Ma’am when he is landing the Forward Unto Dawn. What are your guy’s thoughts on this?

um I would assume that smart A.I. would take the honorary title of XO because that would be the only rank that would be able to command an entire ships military movements but as shown by Spartan ops generally Smart A.I. aren’t suppose to give orders to personnel as Roland does so against protocol, they might also take the role of XO if one does not exist, or it might even be at the highest ranking officers discretion that they can give orders there are numerous cases where tactical command has been transferred over to non CO’s and alternatively Johnson’s reference to ma’am might just be his quirky way of being because she gives out directions to objectives because the use of ma’am has been fundamentally removed from the UNSCDF and not compulsory for female CO’s

That does make sense. Especially considering that the Infinity didn’t seem to have an A.I. when Lasky was acting as the XO, but when he became Captain there didn’t seem to be a replacement other than Roland.

Aine was the AI I think.

Well Aine was in the AI in Thursday War, but she never appeared in the game. However upon a little research apparently she was destroyed when Infinity crashed, which throws a wrench into the idea that the AI is the X.O. Any other ideas?

AIs could probably be seen more as the rank structure both in-between officers and enlisted, such as Warrant officers. All the enlisted personnel with chevrons would see them as a superior and the AIs can/do give orders which would make sense, but they take orders or stand-in for XO positions for officers with nice shiny brass such as what agent Texas said. Even though that job really isn’t a Warrant officer position or duty, for an AI in some future global/galactic military, it’s entirely plausible.

I don’t believe that AI’s have set ranks, its just commonly accepted that they are to be trusted and almost certainly always correct.

I don’t believe they have a formal rank, rather they’re listened to because they tend to be right. The reason people refer to Cortana as ma’am is more as a sign of respect. In the books we’ve seen Halsey consistently referred to as Ma’am consistently by the military personnel she works with and I would imagine it’s the same as that. The fact that John calls her Cortana by name and I haven’t heard anyone refer to Roland as “sir” makes me think it’s not really a requirement, just something that some people do.

> 2533274848539555;8:
> I don’t believe they have a formal rank, rather they’re listened to because they tend to be right. The reason people refer to Cortana as ma’am is more as a sign of respect. In the books we’ve seen Halsey consistently referred to as Ma’am consistently by the military personnel she works with and I would imagine it’s the same as that. The fact that John calls her Cortana by name and I haven’t heard anyone refer to Roland as “sir” makes me think it’s not really a requirement, just something that some people do.

That’s a good point, but it brings up the question, who is the AI subordinate to then? Obviously they have to listen to their captain, but if they have no rank what’s stopping, say, a Sergeant from ordering one around?

> 2533274846307559;9:
> > 2533274848539555;8:
> > I don’t believe they have a formal rank, rather they’re listened to because they tend to be right. The reason people refer to Cortana as ma’am is more as a sign of respect. In the books we’ve seen Halsey consistently referred to as Ma’am consistently by the military personnel she works with and I would imagine it’s the same as that. The fact that John calls her Cortana by name and I haven’t heard anyone refer to Roland as “sir” makes me think it’s not really a requirement, just something that some people do.
>
>
> That’s a good point, but it brings up the question, who is the AI subordinate to then? Obviously they have to listen to their captain, but if they have no rank what’s stopping, say, a Sergeant from ordering one around?

I would imagine that military AIs are always supposed to take orders from the highest ranking person around. For ship based AIs it would always be the commander of the vessel. Failing that it may be down to a case by case basis. For some missions or operations it’s possible that all soldiers are ordered to follow the AIs instructions. Unfortunately most of our examples involve Cortana. The language she uses always tells us that Jacob Keyes, Hood or Miranda were in charge and she was to follow their orders. Foehammer and Johnson always followed Cortana’s orders, while John both takes and gives Cortana instructions, though this is likely due to the unique relationship they share.

High as all butt