Where are the beautiful Skyboxes?!

Now, there is already enough discussions about the graphical fidelity this game might or might not be lacking, that a very important piece of visual seems to be missed out on.

I have always admired Bungie and also 343 to some extend, in the way they create detailed and jarring Skyboxes to look at. They play a huge role (for me) in selling wide spaces in this epic space saga. I often would just glare in the distance and pick out every detail. I was a bit surprised to see a very clean blue sky with a brought and expansive sun, emitting its energy. No stars no galaxies nor anything further out of space - while this might be a more real depiction of a sky, potentially revealing stars and galaxies at night, I feel like it’s a topic worthy of being discussed, when it comes to a Halo game and would love to hear your opinions about it.

Skyboxes in Halo - Is it something you appreciate and care about, or don’t you really care about it at all? Let me know xx

Ah yes, I too look at 8 minutes of game play in an early access build and judge the entire game then and there.
I thought the sky box looked nice, I loved the realism of it, and I expect it to change majorly from the mission shown in the demo to the next, to high noon, to night.

It was daytime. I bet they will have spectacular skyboxes. It is 343 i after all.

> 2535428089141116;2:
> Ah yes, I too look at 8 minutes of game play in an early access build and judge the entire game then and there.
> I thought the sky box looked nice, I loved the realism of it, and I expect it to change majorly from the mission shown in the demo to the next, to high noon, to night.

I totally acknowledge that in my post. Like I said, I could be jumping ship here.

Yes, I was disappointed to see such a bland skybox. Highly artistic skyboxes have always been Halo’s thing, and they really help to sell the environment, and sometimes even tell a story.

If I were to speculate, I’d say they’re going to have some level of dynamic weather, and they hope to rely on it, not to mention the day-night cycle. It’s probably part convenience, part artistic decision. There definitely has to be some kind of starry sky at night, but I don’t understand why they don’t show it at day time, since it’s been established that Halo rings have a very thin atmosphere that shows the stars even during the day.

I think it’s a bad decision to not continue the tradition of interesting skyboxes. They are an integral part of Halo’s art, and neglecting them makes the game less unique, less beautiful, and less Halo.

> 2533274825830455;5:
> Yes, I was disappointed to see such a bland skybox. Highly artistic skyboxes have always been Halo’s thing, and they really help to sell the environment, and sometimes even tell a story.
>
> If I were to speculate, I’d say they’re going to have some level of dynamic weather, and they hope to rely on it, not to mention the day-night cycle. It’s probably part convenience, part artistic decision. There definitely has to be some kind of starry sky at night, but I don’t understand why they don’t show it at day time, since it’s been established that Halo rings have a very thin atmosphere that shows the stars even during the day.
>
> I think it’s a bad decision to not continue the tradition of interesting skyboxes. They are an integral part of Halo’s art, and neglecting them makes the game less unique, less beautiful, and less Halo.

We don’t deserve you tsassi. Your argumentation and honesty is a blessing on this forum. I fully agree with your post by the way. Daytime stars instantly make me think about Combat Evolved, which this game takes inspiration from.

I give A LOT of importance to the skyboxes, and all Halo games nailed them in my opinion. I also didn’t like the choice for a flat sky with a sunset for the presentation. ( I think even the sunset looked bad imo). I truly hope the slipspace engine can handle dynamic weather with clouds moving around and rainstorms.

> 2533274847926251;1:
> Now, there is already enough discussions about the graphical fidelity this game might or might not be lacking, that a very important piece of visual seems to be missed out on.
>
> I have always admired Bungie and also 343 to some extend, in the way they create detailed and jarring Skyboxes to look at. They play a huge role (for me) in selling wide spaces in this epic space saga. I often would just glare in the distance and pick out every detail. I was a bit surprised to see a very clean blue sky with a brought and expansive sun, emitting its energy. No stars no galaxies nor anything further out of space - while this might be a more real depiction of a sky, potentially revealing stars and galaxies at night, I feel like it’s a topic worthy of being discussed, when it comes to a Halo game and would love to hear your opinions about it.
>
> Skyboxes in Halo - Is it something you appreciate and care about, or don’t you really care about it at all? Let me know xx

I wondered this as well. If the skybox was better in the demo it would immediately lift up the visual quality of what we saw. Of course doesn’t excuse other elements about the Mega Bloks graphics though.

CRAIG <3

> 2533274847926251;1:
> Now, there is already enough discussions about the graphical fidelity this game might or might not be lacking, that a very important piece of visual seems to be missed out on.
>
> I have always admired Bungie and also 343 to some extend, in the way they create detailed and jarring Skyboxes to look at. They play a huge role (for me) in selling wide spaces in this epic space saga. I often would just glare in the distance and pick out every detail. I was a bit surprised to see a very clean blue sky with a brought and expansive sun, emitting its energy. No stars no galaxies nor anything further out of space - while this might be a more real depiction of a sky, potentially revealing stars and galaxies at night, I feel like it’s a topic worthy of being discussed, when it comes to a Halo game and would love to hear your opinions about it.
>
> Skyboxes in Halo - Is it something you appreciate and care about, or don’t you really care about it at all? Let me know xx

I wondered this as well. If they added a decent skybox instead of the non-existent one we got in the demo then the visual quality of what we saw would have immediately improved in many fans’ eyes. Of course it doesn’t excuse the flat Mega Bloks graphics elsewhere though.

343 wanted to create a “living” world, so dynamic skyboxes made more sense to them. It’s a shame real-time volumetric clouds look pretty bad right now. Although it’s noticeably better than what we saw in the Halo Infinite demo, the clouds in Flight Simulator 2020 still look very strange MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2020 CLOUDS 4K 60FPS - YouTube

Maybe the Series X and PC versions will get better clouds via a future update? I wouldn’t hold my breath, though.

To be honest i feel like i dont think about it enough to have an opinion.

> 2533274822068856;10:
> 343 wanted to create a “living” world, so dynamic skyboxes made more sense to them. It’s a shame real-time volumetric clouds look pretty bad right now. Although it’s noticeably better than what we saw in the Halo Infinite demo, the clouds in Flight Simulator 2020 still look very strange MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2020 CLOUDS 4K 60FPS - YouTube
>
> Maybe the Series X and PC versions will get better clouds via a future update? I wouldn’t hold my breath, though.

But every Halo game prior has had fantastic skyboxes? Why would you go for something which objectively looks worse?

Does this mean everywhere we go on the ring the skybox will be the same bland one we got in the demo? That doesn’t look good for visuals.

Doesn’t give me much hope for the multiplayer maps either, but I guess we will wait and see on that one, as no need for dynamic skyboxes on multiplayer maps.

Well so much of the backdrop is actually a place you can go (apparently) so it is rendered instead of just a drawing.

In terms of the actual sky, perhaps a high pressure system came through and wiped out the humidity? That explains the cloudless sky but not the pop-in clouds…

Or maybe they just screwed up.

EDIT: there are clouds in the sky, they are just sparse and kind of blurry.

> 2535406183268277;12:
> > 2533274822068856;10:
> > 343 wanted to create a “living” world, so dynamic skyboxes made more sense to them. It’s a shame real-time volumetric clouds look pretty bad right now. Although it’s noticeably better than what we saw in the Halo Infinite demo, the clouds in Flight Simulator 2020 still look very strange MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2020 CLOUDS 4K 60FPS - YouTube
> >
> > Maybe the Series X and PC versions will get better clouds via a future update? I wouldn’t hold my breath, though.
>
> But every Halo game prior has had fantastic skyboxes? Why would you go for something which objectively looks worse?
>
> Does this mean everywhere we go on the ring the skybox will be the same bland one we got in the demo? That doesn’t look good for visuals.
>
> Doesn’t give me much hope for the multiplayer maps either, but I guess we will wait and see on that one, as no need for dynamic skyboxes on multiplayer maps.

The sky won’t be the same all the time. In fact, if 343 does it right, missions won’t even need to start with the same cloud formations every time. Clouds will grow, join together, and dissipate as they do in real life. 343 wanted to make use of clouds that can change on their own, in real-time, to make the world feel more organic. I would be surprised if weather isn’t somewhat dynamic as well. It’s cool in its own way, but the technology just isn’t at the point where it can really blow people away without being pre-rendered. Anyway, I do agree with you for the most part. I think the technology is too immature to really be worth it, unless 343 includes dynamic weather as well.

i think they should include the classic stary sky skybox (and maybe the nearby planets) of halo. it could rotate with the day and night cycle. the clouds are a different layer.