When was Edward Buck with the Mastter Chief?

“I got nothing against the Master Chief himself. I’ve met him. Faught alongside him. He’s a good Joe. You know, for a genetically engineered superhuman who was kidnapped at six years old to be shaped into a killing machine” - Edward Buck (From the book: HALO: NEW BLOOD, beginning of chapter one).

So since books are considered lore right behind the video games in the halo universe, it’s safe to say that Edward Buck must have met and faught alongside with the Master Chief.

Main Question: When and where did Edward Buck meet and fight alongside the Master Chief?

Side Question: Buck mentions the abductions and augmentations that happened in the Spartan II program, how did he know about it? Wasn’t it all hush hush? (HUNT THE TRUTH with ONI trying to cover up the abductions and augmentations). Even if he is now a Spartan IV would they have still told him?

Did he mention it in New Blood? Haven’t read it yet. Either way, with more than a few people involved in the SII program and a few dissatisfied personnel some inkling of what happened got out, even if it wasn’t official and with an organization like ONI putting up a smoke screen I imagine a majority of people didn’t believe it…except smart soldiers like Buck.
As for the exact when he fought beside Chief, dunno. But Chief’s been in countless battles, alongside ODST a lot I imagine, so even without it being mentione in canon to my knowledge, it’s a fair bet to say its totally plausible.

I don’t know if they stood face to face and fought together, but they were both at Reach. That’s what I figured he meant by it.

Idk when they fought together probably sometime in Reach since they where both there during the fall of reach

anyways He probably knows about the Spartan ll program thanks to ONI connections like Veronica :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274876457142;4:
> Idk when they fought together probably sometime in Reach since they where both there during the fall of reach
>
> anyways He probably knows about the Spartan ll program thanks to ONI connections like Veronica :stuck_out_tongue:

Chief never actually fought groundside during the Battle of Reach.

Likely during one of the many battles of the war.

As for how he knows, it seems like the rumour of their origins cycles around military personel quite a bit, it just hasn’t surfaced as credible due to no info to back it up.

Harvest, maybe? We know Buck fought in the Harvest Campaign and that the Spartan who found Daisy’s body is the Chief (Frankie confirmed it in the commentary) and that was on Harvest so it’s possible they fought together then. But I think the best way to find out is to submit it as a question to Grim.

> 2533274874615081;7:
> Harvest, maybe? We know Buck fought in the Harvest Campaign and that the Spartan who found Daisy’s body is the Chief (Frankie confirmed it in the commentary) and that was on Harvest so it’s possible they fought together then. But I think the best way to find out is to submit it as a question to Grim.

Hey forgive my ignorance, but who is Grim?

Also thanks for the suggestion about harvest.

> 2533274824369050;8:
> > 2533274874615081;7:
> > Harvest, maybe? We know Buck fought in the Harvest Campaign and that the Spartan who found Daisy’s body is the Chief (Frankie confirmed it in the commentary) and that was on Harvest so it’s possible they fought together then. But I think the best way to find out is to submit it as a question to Grim.
>
>
> Hey forgive my ignorance, but who is Grim?
>
> Also thanks for the suggestion about harvest.

Grim Jeff Easterling is a 343 employee (writer), features prominently in answering question on halo lore in a official capacity on waypoint, be it blogs or forum posts.

> 2533274824369050;1:
> “I got nothing against the Master Chief himself. I’ve met him. Faught alongside him. He’s a good Joe. You know, for a genetically engineered superhuman who was kidnapped at six years old to be shaped into a killing machine” - Edward Buck (From the book: HALO: NEW BLOOD, beginning of chapter one).
>
> So since books are considered lore right behind the video games in the halo universe, it’s safe to say that Edward Buck must have met and faught alongside with the Master Chief.
>
> Main Question: When and where did Edward Buck meet and fight alongside the Master Chief?
>
> Side Question: Buck mentions the abductions and augmentations that happened in the Spartan II program, how did he know about it? Wasn’t it all hush hush? (HUNT THE TRUTH with ONI trying to cover up the abductions and augmentations). Even if he is now a Spartan IV would they have still told him?

There are no details but it was most Likely on reach at some point, as this is the only obvious link between the two in their service records.

> 2533274824369050;1:
> “I got nothing against the Master Chief himself. I’ve met him. Faught alongside him. He’s a good Joe. You know, for a genetically engineered superhuman who was kidnapped at six years old to be shaped into a killing machine” - Edward Buck (From the book: HALO: NEW BLOOD, beginning of chapter one).
>
> So since books are considered lore right behind the video games in the halo universe, it’s safe to say that Edward Buck must have met and faught alongside with the Master Chief.
>
> Main Question: When and where did Edward Buck meet and fight alongside the Master Chief?
>
> Side Question: Buck mentions the abductions and augmentations that happened in the Spartan II program, how did he know about it? Wasn’t it all hush hush? (HUNT THE TRUTH with ONI trying to cover up the abductions and augmentations). Even if he is now a Spartan IV would they have still told him?

Wrong. Books and game, both canon, not a hierarchy.

What was Buck doing after the events of Halo 3: ODST? I assume that after John returned from Delta Halo, Buck might’ve fought with him on the Ark.

> 2533274869573550;11:
> What was Buck doing after the events of Halo 3: ODST? I assume that after John returned from Delta Halo, Buck might’ve fought with him on the Ark.

Buck never mentioned having served on the Ark in New Blood. In fact, the way he phrased things, makes me think he stayed on Earth. Granted Buck did mentioned that following Johnson’s meeting with Quick, Alpha-Nine was sent back into the field so it’s possible they were present during the Earth portions of Halo 3, being reassigned to Johnson’s command.

Right now, it looks like Harvest or Earth would be the best places for Buck and John to have worked together.

Maybe he thought noble six wearing a mark VI helmet was the chief when I was playing Halo Reach. He thought I was a good joe because I did save his yoink. :stuck_out_tongue: jk.

My understanding is that chief never fought in any battles on Reach’s ground. Is it possible they met up in New Mombassa?

> 2533274809687497;13:
> Is it possible they met up in New Mombassa?

No. Chief left when Regret did, and Regret’s leaving is what caused Buck’s squad to get split up. They were never even on the ground at the same time.

> 2533274848539555;14:
> > 2533274809687497;13:
> > Is it possible they met up in New Mombassa?
>
>
> No. Chief left when Regret did, and Regret’s leaving is what caused Buck’s squad to get split up. They were never even on the ground at the same time.

Oh ya duhhhhh, how did that slip my mind? lol I need more coffee

As far as what’s currently available there isn’t any media content available that shows both the Chief and Buck in the same place. New Blood is the first mention of Buck saying he fought alongside the Chief at some point. That said, there’s a good 27 years worth of battles where the two could’ve met that could be elaborated later on or not at all.

It is unknown when the Chief and Buck met but its been a very long war and both have fought it since the beginning so who knows. I doubt it would be Reach since the Chief if I remember correctly never fought planetside. As for the Spartan II stuff, Buck didn’t actually know whether or not it was true. The events of the II program started to become rumor all over the UNSC. No one but those in ONI and possibly the higher-ups in the UNSC actually know the truth behind the program. As stated by Halsey herself during the Spartan Ops campaign much of the program is still very classified.

Probably Voi or Tsavo Highway.

The war spanned many years before the events of Reach and Earth…

In the beginning of TFoR (prologue I believe) there is a small segment about the Spartans participating in an op on a colony early in the war. It is mentioned that they worked closely with a marine unit, the 22nd Jump Jet Platoon, and it may be that these Marines (judging by the unit name) were ODSTs.

I’m not saying that this is when Buck and the chief worked together, since I think that was too early in the war for Buck to have been fighting just yet, but it is one example of UNSC special operations units ( Spartans and ODSTs) working together and we can assume that pattern continues throughout the war.

I think it is reasonable to say that the Master Chief and Buck could have worked together during any one of the major ground campaigns during the middle of the war until the final months. My best guesses are Jericho VII in 2537, or Epsilon Eridanus in 2552.

In all likelihood, the two may have crossed paths once, or possibly even multiple times over the course of the War. With no definitive media showing them together, it’s all nothing more than speculation.