When players look from a distance.....

will they be able to get a better view of the map and the objects on Halo 4?

The reason why I’m asking this is because in Reach: when you look from a distance, parts of the map and the objects start to go blurred. I didn’t really understand why Bungie actually thought about doing that if I’m honest.

Also:

from a distance towards going out of the map, will the water actually look like water on Halo 4?

The reason why I’m asking this is because in previous Halo’s e.g. Reach and Halo 3: when you are in the boundaries, the water looks alright. When you are out of bounds, you can see that the water looks like this. Not a very nice look I say. Hopefully the graphical features like water and looking at a distance towards the map and objects look detailed instead of blurred.

I personally think that the water and the graphics should be improved seen as that Halo 4 is a native 720p game. I’m not saying it has to, I’m just pointing out exactly what I’ve seen and thought about previous Halo’s for Halo 4 to improve.

Feel free to share your thoughts about this. :slight_smile:

out of what I have seen for halo 4 and map graphics they look amazing and im sure 343 has made them look as perfect as possible

I think that most of the objects will look crystal clear.

> out of what I have seen for halo 4 and map graphics they look amazing and im sure 343 has made them look as perfect as possible

I strongly agree with you! The graphics on Halo 4 look amazing! I’m sure that they may of done slight or strong improvements! They’re doing an amazing job for their first new big game to the franchise! :slight_smile:

Hopefully 343i can make the water look better. Frankie does like his water to look and act as realistic as possible.

> Hopefully 343i can make the water look better. Frankie does like his water to look and act as realistic as possible.

The water’ll probably look, splash and ripple more realistically than any other Halo’s! Who doesn’t like realistic water nowadays? XD

bungie did that to improve the framerate. rendering everything on the map at all times especially with reach’s improved textures would take it’s toll on the framerate, which is already kind of shaky in reach.

since halo 4 even better you can probably expect the “blurriness when looking at stuff from a distance” to come back. unless the engine is incredible and can handle rendering everything on the screen.

I noticed this blur also. I hope it is eradicated from Halo 4.

> bungie did that to improve the framerate. rendering everything on the map at all times especially with reach’s improved textures would take it’s toll on the framerate, which is already kind of shaky in reach.
>
> since halo 4 even better you can probably expect the “blurriness when looking at stuff from a distance” to come back. unless the engine is incredible and can handle rendering everything on the screen.

I was thinking that it may of had to do something with the frames. But seen as that Halo 4 has a faster frame rate and a native 720p game, I think the blurred visions’ll be gone. :slight_smile:

> > bungie did that to improve the framerate. rendering everything on the map at all times especially with reach’s improved textures would take it’s toll on the framerate, which is already kind of shaky in reach.
> >
> > since halo 4 even better you can probably expect the “blurriness when looking at stuff from a distance” to come back. unless the engine is incredible and can handle rendering everything on the screen.
>
> I was thinking that it may of had to do something with the frames. But seen as that Halo 4 has a faster frame rate and a native 720p game, I think the blurred visions’ll be gone. :slight_smile:

the blurred objects are the result of high resolution textures turning into “muddy” textures as the player gets further away from them. halo 4 doesn’t actually have a faster frame rate, it’s still at 30 fps just like reach. but in reach that rate was prone to dropping quite frequently when too much was happening at once. we will have no idea how this effects halo 4 until we get to play it ourselves.

you know what would be cool is if they add in some fish too cause i mean look at the water its like an ocean that you can build on.I wouldnt mind having some wild life in the multiplayer world. Itd be like the fish in Reflection but in forge as well and yeah i hope the water looks super realistic as well.

and if anyone wants a link to the fish im talking about here you go

You want the truth why Halo: Reach was so blurry?

The temporal Anti-Aliasing system Bungie used in Reach caused ghosting and a lot of softness/blurriness, that’s also why if you look at the AR display while walking it blurs a lot.

Luckily Halo 4 will be using a more modern and sharper widely-used system called FXAA. So things will be as sharp as Halo 3. Only problem with “sharp” Anti-Aliasing is it uses more resources AND you get a thing called “jaggies.” (Google it to see what I mean)

> You want the truth why Halo: Reach was so blurry?
>
> The temporal Anti-Aliasing system Bungie used in Reach caused ghosting and a lot of softness/blurriness, that’s also why if you look at the AR display while walking it blurs a lot.
>
> Luckily Halo 4 will be using a more modern and sharper widely-used system called FXAA. So things will be as sharp as Halo 3. Only problem with “sharp” Anti-Aliasing is it uses more resources AND you get a thing called “jaggies.” (Google it to see what I mean)

I see what you mean there. Correct me if I’m wrong, this is the first time I’ve heard about FXAA :slight_smile: :

Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing is a pixel shader program where it sees pixels that create an artificial edge by smoothing them to prevent the pixels spreading. Does It runs every frame in a scant millisecond or two. While it does that, it ignores the polygons and lined edges and simply analyzes the pixels on the screen.

Link.

If that’s the case, then I think Halo 4’s frame rate and shading’ll be great!

Yeah, water is one thing I can’t wait to see with Halo 4’s amazing graphics.

Also, the water outside of Forge World’s boundaries was solid…

They’re not detailed outside the boundaries because it’s not meant for you to go back there, so it is textured more cheaply since you won’t ever be close to it.

Halo Reach uses an impostering system, meaning that as you get further away, objects are easier to draw. This is the reason why Forge World could even exist. Otherwise it would break your Xbox or reduce framerate much more easily.

> They’re not detailed outside the boundaries because it’s not meant for you to go back there, so it is textured more cheaply since you won’t ever be close to it.
>
> Halo Reach uses an impostering system, meaning that as you get further away, objects are easier to draw. This is the reason why Forge World could even exist. Otherwise it would break your Xbox or reduce framerate much more easily.

I understand why Bungie even implemented that kind of shadowing system, because it’s the first world that is the biggest Bungie has ever done I personally think.

But seen as that there’s more advanced technology towards the graphical system, I think it’ll run a lot more detailed and smoothed without harming the frame rates pace per second. :slight_smile:

> will they be able to get a better view of the map and the objects on Halo 4?
>
> The reason why I’m asking this is because in Reach: when you look from a distance, parts of the map and the objects start to go blurred. I didn’t really understand why Bungie actually thought about doing that if I’m honest.
>
> Also:
>
> from a distance towards going out of the map, will the water actually look like water on Halo 4?
>
> The reason why I’m asking this is because in previous Halo’s e.g. Reach and Halo 3: when you are in the boundaries, the water looks alright. When you are out of bounds, you can see that the water looks like this. Not a very nice look I say. Hopefully the graphical features like water and looking at a distance towards the map and objects look detailed instead of blurred.
>
> I personally think that the water and the graphics should be improved seen as that Halo 4 is the first native 720p game. I’m not saying it has to, I’m just pointing out exactly what I’ve seen and thought about previous Halo’s for Halo 4 to improve.
>
> Feel free to share your thoughts about this. :slight_smile:

1. Taking a long distance picture of the water and asking why you can’t see the bubbles of the rolling surf is a bit perplexing.

2. Objects looking blurry at a distance has a couple reasons. The main reason is that resources required to run Halo are huge. Always pushing the code to its limits. For this, drawing high resolution objects and textures at distances where most games have 18 levels of sight blocking used is too taxing on the system.

3. Also, Reach is the first Halo game to run natively at 720p, not H4.

> 1) Taking a long distance picture of the water and asking why you can’t see the bubbles of the rolling surf is a bit perplexing.
>
> 2) Objects looking blurry at a distance has a couple reasons. The main reason is that resources required to run Halo are huge. Always pushing the code to its limits. For this, drawing high resolution objects and textures at distances where most games have 18 levels of sight blocking used is too taxing on the system.
>
> 3) Also, <mark>Reach is the first Halo game to run natively at 720p, not H4</mark>.

Thanks for the correction. I must of mis-read it from 343, my mistake. Fix’d it :slight_smile:

I see your points there! It would use up a lot of resources to push Halo 4 towards it’s highest limit for the console to handle. Too much resources being used to handle the game would cause the frame-rate to slow down and eventually crash due to the amount of detail processed.

To be honest, with all of the content that’s gone into the graphics engine, it wouldn’t surprise me if it can handle what it can handle like Reach did. It would be a big surprise if it did manage to polish the graphics really well.

I can imagine for future games, the graphics would be made like this.

There might be a little blur in campaign, but… if you read some interviews it seams that in mp 343 desinged map distanes, ect around the blur so you go around a corner before you can see blur affecting it…

> There might be a little blur in campaign, but… if you read some interviews it seams that in mp 343 desinged map distanes, ect around the blur so you go around a corner before you can see blur affecting it…

Intersting. It was cool when Certain Affinity were showing the shadow rendering when you go back to a spartan. :smiley: