What's your Xbox Live ping?

I’m posting this in the Halo 5 forums because I’m concerned about bad connection causing problems with aiming mechanics (slow-turn similarities) which I experience every game. These aiming problems are not present in any way when running custom games.

So, my question is. What are you guys’ ping when doing a “detailed network analysis” in the xbox network settings? Mine is never below 180 ms which seems rather high for a fast paced fps shooter.

Also, i know the difference between shots not registering properly because of bad connection, and bad connection is directly affecting aiming mechanics.

the detailed network analysis only pings the xbox live server and not the game server and wont give you any indication on ping in game, now apparently 343 use the azure servers to host servers for halo 5 ( or so i have read her before ) and doing a ping on the azure clod will give you an idea how your ping is to the closes server , now this dont mean your games will be hosted on this but if you are playing alone it is likely to pick the best ping possible for you at the time of looking for a game , you can ping azure servers from this link http://www.azurespeed.com/

now this is where it gets funky , at least for me , i get a different ping on my pc and on my xbox in the edge browser , and the xbox get way worse ping then my pc , even if my xbox is on cable and my pc is on wifi. and even being located in Europa i get better ping towards us servers then EU based servers , so MS have som wierd trafic routing , even my ISP tested this for me when i was trying to find out why my ping is never below 150ms and normally over 200ms . and other games that have EU servers can provide a ping down in 10-20 .

I can’t recall, but it’s always much higher than when I check ping on my laptop. Not sure the data you are trying to collect, if any, but the following criteria would be good to collect to enable a better analysis.

• Ping - State - Country - Time of day

> 2533274875982754;3:
> I can’t recall, but it’s always much higher than when I check ping on my laptop. Not sure the data you are trying to collect, if any, but the following criteria would be good to collect to enable a better analysis.
> - Ping - State - Country - Time of day

well am looking for estimate on ingame ping , and all logic says a closer data senter will have lower ping , but it seams US senters have the same bad ping as EU data senters.

> 2533274962008908;1:
> I’m posting this in the Halo 5 forums because I’m concerned about bad connection causing problems with aiming mechanics (slow-turn similarities) which I experience every game. These aiming problems are not present in any way when running custom games.
>
> So, my question is. What are you guys’ ping when doing a “detailed network analysis” in the xbox network settings? Mine is never below 180 ms which seems rather high for a fast paced fps shooter.
>
> Also, i know the difference between shots not registering properly because of bad connection, and bad connection is directly affecting aiming mechanics.
>
> Thanks :slight_smile:

As of 5:51 in the morning the only fix I can think of is prioritising bandwidth to your console, but I run about 30 ping (Although I lag horribly and 1 bar when my brother loads game wiki pages or something of the sort for a short period of time due to buffering).

> 2533274814492433;4:
> > 2533274875982754;3:
> > I can’t recall, but it’s always much higher than when I check ping on my laptop. Not sure the data you are trying to collect, if any, but the following criteria would be good to collect to enable a better analysis.
> > - Ping - State - Country - Time of day
>
> well am looking for estimate on ingame ping , and all logic says a closer data senter will have lower ping , but it seams US senters have the same bad ping as EU data senters.

I would also add type of Xbox, s or plain. Curious to know if that makes a difference.

Standard Xbox One
Xbox Live Ping: 180 ms
Time of day: Any time
Ping to EU Azure-servers (Xbox): 100-120 ms average
Ping to EU Azure-servers (Laptop): 50 ms average

Seems like the Xbox One has a crappy network chip. I would’ve expected a dedicated gaming console to have network hardware comparable to a standard motherboard network interface on a 5 year old laptop. Sub par work from Microsoft to be honest.

> 2535456187497849;5:
> > 2533274962008908;1:
> > I’m posting this in the Halo 5 forums because I’m concerned about bad connection causing problems with aiming mechanics (slow-turn similarities) which I experience every game. These aiming problems are not present in any way when running custom games.
> >
> > So, my question is. What are you guys’ ping when doing a “detailed network analysis” in the xbox network settings? Mine is never below 180 ms which seems rather high for a fast paced fps shooter.
> >
> > Also, i know the difference between shots not registering properly because of bad connection, and bad connection is directly affecting aiming mechanics.
> >
> > Thanks :slight_smile:
>
> As of 5:51 in the morning the only fix I can think of is prioritising bandwidth to your console, but I run about 30 ping (Although I lag horribly and 1 bar when my brother loads game wiki pages or something of the sort for a short period of time due to buffering).

How do you prioritze bandwidth though, because if you enable QoS (quality of service) in your router and set aside bandwidth to you console, I don’t see how any other device on the network would be able to impact your consoles allotted bandwidth.

Op I have found that a ping 50 and bellow are ideal for a game such as this. If you start to creep up over 60ms the game will be effected. Usually you can tell this by how stable your aiming is and your movement in the game is. Now if your ping is much higher that doesn’t mean you cant play the game. It just means your not likely to have any real consistent impact in a game like this. At least not in a competitive manner. Your shots wont register properly or moving mechanics will feel slow or not very responsive. But to find any real true ping numbers for this game is a mystery. Something that 343i doesn’t feel is needed. Which imo is not a good deal. Specially when we are talking a shooter type game where ping is king! Another thing that is likely effecting you is the removal of region lock. It seems when that was removed it kind of turned this game upside down and more problems resulted. At the end of the day all we can do is guess. Until we hear directly from 343i in this matter we will never know. This is a topic they like to steer clear of!

Zippy.

> 2533274962008908;1:
> I’m posting this in the Halo 5 forums because I’m concerned about bad connection causing problems with aiming mechanics (slow-turn similarities) which I experience every game. These aiming problems are not present in any way when running custom games.

I have so much heavy-aim nowadays, it’s unplayable… My connection is mostly good though… For me it doesn’t matter if it’s custom games or matchmaking, when it comes to heavy-aim. But sometimes it’s gone and I can shine and get like 5 times as many kills against good players because of it. More noticeable against good players with good strafe or when trying to whip with snipe or pistol for example. H6 must not have any sort of heavy-aim or I’m done!

Please don’t revive old topics, thanks