What's your take on Apt.117 ?

So if you haven’t watched it yet , 343 just announced the new web series Apt. 117. It’s a comedy about two roommates one being straight laced and the other being a diehard Halo Fan. Check it out under Intel, Videos here. http://halo.xbox.com/en-us#/intel/media/latestvideos?filter=all

Youtube comments are being kind of harsh on it but I’m definitely going to give it a chance. I’m a fan of these type of comedies and halo so this should be right up my alley, especially if they can work in other references to other large geeky communities in general.

I haven’t seen much yet, but the entire concept bothers me. Why is this being made? Frankly, I think the real problem here is the Red vs. Blue is much better at parodying Halo. Apt. 117 is competing with Rooster Teeth, which is a battle that 343i cannot win. It would make much more sense to use Microsoft’s cash to buy Rooster Teeth.

Further, I don’t like the idea that 343i is making a cartoon. Halo: Legends was okay, but this is going way too far. Why not make full animations of the Halo: Evolutions stories? That would be much more interesting. This is… silly. I feel as though nobody is listening to what the fans want. Why are resources being used to make THIS? Nobody asked for this. Remember the reaction to Odd One Out? I imagine that this will make that reaction look like critical acclaim.

It looks really gimmicky and niche to me. Doesn’t seem like it will have a broad enough base that it appeals to.

Personally I agree with Roland. I’d like to see more stories in the actual Halo universe, as opposed to a Penny Arcade/Clerks style cartoon, but with only Halo jokes. I think Arby and the Chief, even with Jon’s soapboxing, works better than Apt. 117.

> It looks really gimmicky and niche to me. Doesn’t seem like it will have a broad enough base that it appeals to.
>
> Personally I agree with Roland. I’d like to see more stories in the actual Halo universe, as opposed to a Penny Arcade/Clerks style cartoon, but with only Halo jokes. I think Arby and the Chief, even with Jon’s soapboxing, works better than Apt. 117.

I literally just read another comparison to Clerks.

I guess I’ll reserve final judgment until the pilot debuts. I just feel confused and bugged by this artistic direction. On the other hand, 343i is getting stuff done and giving us content (for free), so I guess it’s not fair to complain too much.

IDK, looks like it could be somewhat entertaining. Not everything Halo related has to be canonical or parodying Halo itself. Pointing some jokes at our own fandom itself could be refreshing. Come on you can’t tell me that someone hasn’t tried making a needler out of a nail/staple gun.

> I guess I’ll reserve final judgment until the pilot debuts. I just feel confused and bugged by this artistic direction. On the other hand, 343i is getting stuff done and giving us content (for free), so I guess it’s not fair to complain too much.

True. I guess I’ll just have to quell my fan-rage and wait and see just what becomes of this. Maybe it will end up being good, and I’ll look like a fool for being so upset. But I won’t hold my breath on that point.

I think people were being a bit too harsh about it. I just watched the trailer, and it honestly wasn’t as bad as they make it out to be. At the very least, I’ll give it a chance.

Speaking of animations though, any word on The Mona Lisa motion comic?

This money should have gone to making actual animations(such as Babysitter) out of Evolutions stories. I’d love to see Headhunter or Impossible Life and Possible Death of Preston J. Cole in actual animations.(And not the moving comic stuff either…)

I like the concept, and hope the humor we see in the trailer is just the tip of the iceberg. I think that taking time to step away from the more serious aspects of Halo is good now and then, and this seems to hit that squarely, with the lighthearted, humor driven break from the HaloVerse.

I do understand folks wanting to see more Haloverse stuff though, as I’d really dig seeing more as well, but I still sort of hope that Apt. 117 can at least get a few episodes out before anyone condemns it. Hell, one of my favorite shows, Firefly, had terrible trailers, and failed to capture interest before it went live, but once it did, folks liked it. Hoping Apt. 117 hits that as well.

And add me to the chorus of folks who want that Needler!

Upon further consideration, I’ve decided that this has potential as entertainment. The problem is more that it’s not really Halo. It’s just weird that this is being made. It could be spectacular, but I’m always going to think “why did THEY make this?”. Also, it seems kind of annoying that this show has already broken the fourth wall. That kind of humor is only funny when it is done rarely (as in, once a season at most), and is very annoying when the wall is broken constantly.

> Also, it seems kind of annoying that this show has already broken the fourth wall. That kind of humor is only funny when it is done rarely (as in, once a season at most), and is very annoying when the wall is broken constantly.

Unless you’re Marvel Comics’s Deadpool.

> > Also, it seems kind of annoying that this show has already broken the fourth wall. That kind of humor is only funny when it is done rarely (as in, once a season at most), and is very annoying when the wall is broken constantly.
>
> Unless you’re Marvel Comics’s Deadpool.

Yeah, but he does it with talent and makes funny points when he breaks the fourth wall.

Also, I watched the first episode… I liked it. I liked it. You win, 343. Good show.

One important thing that this episode established is that the episode to did not make itself clearly identify with any single game. Therefore, the episode can be watched five years from now and still make sense, assuming the next game has Jeff Steiz. That was a smart move, if it was intentional.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, go watch an old (seasons 1-4) episode of The Simpsons. You should notice that the episode is not clearly from a distinct era in modern history. You could watch Marge vs. the Monorail and think that the episode aired a few weeks ago, when it really aired in the early 90’s.

I also liked that the episode was short, simple and relaxed. The characters work because there is a funny guy and a straight man, an important comedy technique. It didn’t make -Yoink- jokes (something that was a mistake in the trailer) and it made a creative twist on a common Halo joke (using the announcer’s voice in daily life) and made an ending that I didn’t see coming, even seconds before the credits.

The animation was smooth. I often hate cartoons these days (I still watch some of my childhood favorites, like Spongebob, Rocko’s Modern Life, Darkwing Duck and Freakazoid!) , yet modern cartoons tend to, even when they have good writing, have very bad animation. These characters didn’t move like robots and their expressions had life. The cuts were good and the timing was (mostly) on par.

The bad:

The voicing acting needs work. The straight man (which means the level-headed character, not the heterosexual) had a bland voice, even when he should have been frustrated or angry.

The gag would have been funnier if medals appeared on the screen as they spoke.

The apartment should be COVERED in Halo merchandise.

Overall, I give this episode a solid A-. It would have been a B if this was an established series, but pilot episodes tend to be the worst episodes in a series (watch some, if you don’t believe me).

If I were to make specific suggestions:

-Give both the main characters girlfriends. It sounds stupid, but there’s a certain humor in watching The Simpsons or Family Guy and wondering how those men have loving wives. Further, a female voice would add a better dynamic to the cast, as the only voices so far have been similar male voices.

-Have them drive the car that was depicted in the beginning. That thing is begging to be a recurring gag (have one of them have to sit in the turret, with the reason being a lack of a trunk).

TLDR: It was a good start to an interesting idea that I didn’t think would go well.

Roland, where did you find it? I must admit I can’t find it on my end, and I’d like to at least have an informed opinion about the actual product.

> Roland, where did you find it? I must admit I can’t find it on my end, and I’d like to at least have an informed opinion about the actual product.

Halo.bungie.org

Thanks, Roland.

And, now that I have seen it, I must admit that I have a similar sentiment to Roland, at least for the pilot. I didn’t really think it was outright laugh out loud funny, but it did amuse me, which is more than what I thought it would do. While I don’t know if I will keep up with this, as it doesn’t really seem to be my kind of thing, I will say, here and now, that I was wrong about this series. It is redeemable, even if it isn’t for me.

I don’t like it for a number of reasons. I think it revives the old gamer sterotype for a new generation, only with ‘Halol fan’ branded all over it. I find it a little insulting that Halo fans are the butt end of this poor joke, even if its meant in good humor. I realize that we should perhaps have some self-irony in all of this, but Gamers as a whole should should get rid of that old sterotype if we’re ever going to be taken seriously as a media. I mean, it doesn’t even portray the avarage hardcore Halo fan? It looks more like an outsiders mental image of people creating replicas of in-game items in their sparetime, mixed with the basement dweller sterotype and the sterotype of American whitetrash.

I think it’s a waste of time on 343i’s part, making something like this rather than any actual Halo media with those resources. I wasn’t all that fan of Halo Legends, it worked, but I don’t think that cartoons are the best media for a sci-fi material, or much gaming material at all. Much rather see a single CGI video than ten cartoons.

Like Roland said, why is resources being wasted on this? I feel like it’s a marketing trick to draw in non-Halo fans, rather than something aimed at the fans themselves. If it is, then it’s poor judgement on their end.

> It would make much more sense to use Microsoft’s cash to buy Rooster Teeth.

Please don’t let this happen. Stop giving them ideas, Roland.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Voice needs a bit of work!

I want to see more of this series, the first episode was enough to wet my appetite