What's your Favorite Halo Level Caption?

I’ve never seen this discussed, and I really would like to know some of your favorites or favorite Level caption.

My favorite is “… And The Horse We Rode In On”

Whenever I go back and play that level with the soundtrack in the beginning cutscene it just gives me nostalgia like crazy. That is literally one of my most favorite level captions ever. Returning to where you woke up, started the fight, ensuring the safety of your soon to be best friend AI Cortana.

I can’t even begin to describe the feelings the soundtrack gives me. It’s just so amazing.

But I Don’t Want to Ride the Elevator!

I just find it funny, considering the mission that it’s on.

> 2535437652903765;2:
> **But I Don’t Want to Ride the Elevator!**I just find it funny, considering the mission that it’s on.

That was like the most annoying Mission on Legendary for me lol

I would have been your daddy.
Warning: Hitchhikers may be escaped convicts.

I got a kick out of the Firefly reference “Sudden But Inevitable Betrayal” in H5.

Shut up and get behind me… sir.

“Your -Yoink- My Size 24 Hoof” By far my favorite. It’s from halo 2, second to last level iirc.

The Gun Pointed at the Head of the Universe.

Gotta go with you, OP. The Maw’s opening one is great. That theme of Westerns in the captions really informed the tone of Halo: CE for me.

> 2678033349858034;9:
> That theme of Westerns in the captions really informed the tone of Halo: CE for me.

Explain this to.me. What do you mean?

Well enough alone…

> 2533274890558879;6:
> Shut up and get behind me… sir.

That’s a good one! :smiley:sir.****:wink:

Off the rock, through the bush, nothing but Jackal.
Halo 2, Delta Halo.

Gun Pointed at the Head of the Universe.

> 2535455577605144;5:
> I got a kick out of the Firefly reference “Sudden But Inevitable Betrayal” in H5.

is it weird that I read that in Wash’s voice?

> 2535417176108194;10:
> Explain this to.me. What do you mean?

Well – I suppose I should preface that it’s not just in the captions, and I was only bringing it up as specifically in the captions because those are what we’re talking about. Multiplayer maps like Hang 'Em High (named after a western film) and Sidewinder (a sort of rattle snake) draw on that wild west theme. The western captions of note are Flawless Cowboy, It’s Quiet, Rolling Thunder, Well Enough Alone (in that it’s the parlance of a southern accent in a game where no one has one). There may be western motivations behind others (e.g., “Light Fuse, Run Away” may have been with dynamite sticks in mind, “Under New Management” could well be a reference to one western or another).

So, why did it impact my appreciation of Halo: CE? Well, the answer doesn’t have to do with an advanced education in the genre of the Western. I was young enough to just not have much of any awareness of the genre, at the time. But words have meaning – and all of these captions and terms carry with them a sort of flippant bravado, lonerism, and lawlessness that characterized the game for me. They helped convey that sense of being alone and self-reliant even when you had fellows. I didn’t know that so-and-so is a quote, so-and-so is a film, but these things were given their names by and large because they spoke to a set of notions. That’s what they all tap, is those Western notions.

> 2678033349858034;16:
> > 2535417176108194;10:
> > Explain this to.me. What do you mean?
>
> Well – I suppose I should preface that it’s not just in the captions, and I was only bringing it up as specifically in the captions because those are what we’re talking about. Multiplayer maps like Hang 'Em High (named after a western film) and Sidewinder (a sort of rattle snake) draw on that wild west theme. The western captions of note are Flawless Cowboy, It’s Quiet, Rolling Thunder, Well Enough Alone (in that it’s the parlance of a southern accent in a game where no one has one). There may be western motivations behind others (e.g., “Light Fuse, Run Away” may have been with dynamite sticks in mind, “Under New Management” could well be a reference to one western or another).
>
> So, why did it impact my appreciation of Halo: CE? Well, the answer doesn’t have to do with an advanced education in the genre of the Western. I was young enough to just not have much of any awareness of the genre, at the time. But words have meaning – and all of these captions and terms carry with them a sort of flippant bravado, lonerism, and lawlessness that characterized the game for me. They helped convey that sense of being alone and self-reliant even when you had fellows. I didn’t know that so-and-so is a quote, so-and-so is a film, but these things were given their names by and large because they spoke to a set of notions. That’s what they all tap, is those Western notions.

Very insightful. I didn’t pay any attention to that at all. Thank you for the explanation.

This Town Ain’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us from the Metropolis mission in Halo 2.

> 2533274975115124;7:
> “Your -Yoink- My Size 24 Hoof” By far my favorite. It’s from halo 2, second to last level iirc.

That is definitely one of my favorites

“There’ll be another time…” The last caption in Halo Reach. Perfect for a game that wraps on such a somber note