What's your favorite Halo enemy class?

What’s your favorite Halo enemy class?

Covenant? Brutes? Flood? Forerunner AI such as sentinels and Halo 2 machines? Prometheans?

Anything but prometheans, so boring to fight. And become insane bullet sponges on legendary. May have hated fighting the flood but by far one of my favorite enemy types. The only type of enemy to give me a challenge actually.

How about just Grunts I love those little guys. Mainly because they bring joyous sounds of little kids at a birthday party with multi-colored confetti.

Haha, I agree with both of your posts.

Prometheans are boring, to me because they’re so repetitive. Shoot the crawlers, then the watchers, then the knights. Run into another group and repeat. Wow. What creative game play 343!

And the grunts are always a fun alien to fight!

The flood are my favorite class overall because the flood adds so much to Halo story-wise. Halo 4 felt strange without the flood to me, because the prometheans nor humanity would want to fire the halos, so what’s the big deal really?

On the other hand, if the flood were trying to consume all sentient life… the prometheans would most likely want to fire the halos, and then the story would make the halos relevant again.

My favourite are the Covenant, most notably the black commando units from the first Halo.

So serious, and so beautifully aesthetic.

The flood are pretty cool, I never really minded them. I sure as hell wouldn’t want them to look anything like what they do in H4, but they were always good fun.

Promethians make a satisfying pop when they die.

My favorite is easily the original Covenant, they’re awesome.

Most to least favorite to fight.

1. Covenant (obvious)
  2. Flood (they’re zombies man)
  3. Prometheans (bullet sponges, but satistifying to kill)
  4. Brutes (no where near as good as Elites)
  5. Sentinels (this was even a choice?)

That’s just how I feel fighting these guys, I really do wish they would bring back the Flood through.

I like the Storm/classic Covie (Grunts, Jackals, Elites, Hunters). 343 took the Covvie back to their core and I think it worked well.

Halo Reach Brutes worked fairly well too. I just wasn’t a big fan of Halo 3 brutes since they were basically just Elites that spammed defensive equipment like bubble shields, regenerators, drop shields, etc and Chiefs with invulnerability making those fights drag out incredibly long on solo legendary. People talk about Prometheans being bullet sponges… those ****ing Halo 3 brutes man.

Prometheans are fun except for that fact it is hard to tell what weapon they’re using, so sometimes you get up close to one and then they blam you with a shotgun. Also, their teleport is annoying because when you find them again, their shields have regened.

Flood are terrible.

> My favorite is easily the original Covenant, they’re awesome.
>
> Most to least favorite to fight.
> 1. Covenant (obvious)
> 2. Flood (they’re zombies man)
> 3. Prometheans (bullet sponges, but satistifying to kill)
> 4. Brutes (no where near as good as Elites)
> 5. Sentinels (this was even a choice?)
>
> That’s just how I feel fighting these guys, I really do wish they would bring back the Flood through.

Sentinels and other Forerunner AI like seen in Halo 2 are a choice because they’re Forerunner AI, not Prometheans. They are a different enemy class, and should be a choice.

I seriously doubt anyone will vote them as their favorite though!

And come on, Prometheans over Brutes? Think about the Halo 2 brutes! They were great! The Halo 3 brutes however, not so much…

I actually like Brutes the most. Especially the ones carrying the gravity hammer.

Halo 3 Brutes were great, I did love them, but I’ve never considered them separate to the Covenant.

I just thought it was a pity because I always loved shooting Elites.

> I like the Storm/classic Covie (Grunts, Jackals, Elites, Hunters). 343 took the Covvie back to their core and I think it worked well.
>
> Halo Reach Brutes worked fairly well too. I just wasn’t a big fan of Halo 3 brutes since they were basically just Elites that spammed defensive equipment like bubble shields, regenerators, drop shields, etc and Chiefs with invulnerability making those fights drag out incredibly long on solo legendary. People talk about Prometheans being bullet sponges… those ****ing Halo 3 brutes man.
>
> Prometheans are fun except for that fact it is hard to tell what weapon they’re using, so sometimes you get up close to one and then they blam you with a shotgun. Also, their teleport is annoying because when you find them again, their shields have regened.
>
> Flood are terrible.

I don’t think “taking the Covie back to their core worked well.” It left me and other Halo fans wondering constantly where all the Buggers, Skirmishers, Brutes, and Engineers even where at. I mean at the absolute least Brutes and Buggers belonged in the game if the Covenant were in Halo 4…

Halo Reach Brutes were bland. They could take a little more damage than the Halo 3 push over Brutes, but didn’t beserk or behave in any interesting way like the Halo 2 Brutes. Halo 2 Brutes with slightly less health would be the perfect Brute.

Promethean Knights are bullet sponges second only to Halo 2 Brutes. The Halo 3 Brutes were the opposite extreme… push overs with virtually 0 health, so idk what you’re talking about.

But yes, one thing we agree on is that Prometheans teleporting is annoying. I find them insanely boring to fight. Crawlers are ok I guess though, not too bad.

> Halo 3 Brutes were great, I did love them, but I’ve never considered them separate to the Covenant.
>
> I just thought it was a pity because I always loved shooting Elites.

In Halo 2 the Brutes and the Covenant are in a civil war because the prophets picked the Brutes to replace the Elites. The Covenant sided with the Brutes in the end apparently since we fought the Covenant with the Brutes leading them in Halo 3, and were allied only with the Elites.

I guess the Elites are more separate to the Covenant than the Brutes, since the Elites left the Covenant, but the only game where the Brutes were leading the Covenant with the Elites not a part of the Covenant was Halo 3 really.

I don’t know, its just how I grouped it because the Brutes or Elites should be separate from the other because they separated in Halo 2.

Covenant first. Seriously, they’re a great batch. Especially in Reach.

Flood. While not as fun, they bring enough of a different vibe and style that they’re great fun too. Especially when it’s a three way deathfest.

Sentinels. Simple and additional. Though the giant ones were cool, their levels were a bit annoying.

Brutes. Fun in 2. Annoying as hell in 3, and much more boring.

Prometheans. Meh.

> > My favorite is easily the original Covenant, they’re awesome.
> >
> > Most to least favorite to fight.
> > 1. Covenant (obvious)
> > 2. Flood (they’re zombies man)
> > 3. Prometheans (bullet sponges, but satistifying to kill)
> > 4. Brutes (no where near as good as Elites)
> > 5. Sentinels (this was even a choice?)
> >
> > That’s just how I feel fighting these guys, I really do wish they would bring back the Flood through.
>
> Sentinels and other Forerunner AI like seen in Halo 2 are a choice because they’re Forerunner AI, not Prometheans. They are a different enemy class, and should be a choice.
>
> I seriously doubt anyone will vote them as their favorite though!
>
>
> And come on, Prometheans over Brutes? Think about the Halo 2 brutes! They were great! The Halo 3 brutes however, not so much…

The halo 2 brutes were much more animalistic than the brutes of halo 3, odst, and halo reach, especially when they go berserk! In the other games they just shrugged their shoulders and ran at you. Enemy AI has gone way down hill, imo the smartest enemies were the covenant from combat evolved. Elites would dodged your throws almost every time, at close range they would evade to either side while punching you, and if you got through their shields they would either get stunned or hide. They rarely berserked. And let’s not forget the grunts! These little guys were smart in CE, often they would dodge grenade throws even if you were behind them. They were much more composed than they are in reach or 4, and come on now - they’re voices were absolutely hilarious! Halo 2 grunt voices were lame and didn’t even sound like the voice actor was trying. It isn’t fun to go up against bullet sponges where you HAVE to take along certain weapons throughout an entire level just to beat them - halo reach hunters nearing the end of pillar of autumn. The covenant are always fun and satisfying to fight. They’re even uglier when they’re dead!

> > > My favorite is easily the original Covenant, they’re awesome.
> > >
> > > Most to least favorite to fight.
> > > 1. Covenant (obvious)
> > > 2. Flood (they’re zombies man)
> > > 3. Prometheans (bullet sponges, but satistifying to kill)
> > > 4. Brutes (no where near as good as Elites)
> > > 5. Sentinels (this was even a choice?)
> > >
> > > That’s just how I feel fighting these guys, I really do wish they would bring back the Flood through.
> >
> > Sentinels and other Forerunner AI like seen in Halo 2 are a choice because they’re Forerunner AI, not Prometheans. They are a different enemy class, and should be a choice.
> >
> > I seriously doubt anyone will vote them as their favorite though!
> >
> >
> > And come on, Prometheans over Brutes? Think about the Halo 2 brutes! They were great! The Halo 3 brutes however, not so much…
>
> The halo 2 brutes were much more animalistic than the brutes of halo 3, odst, and halo reach, especially when they go berserk! In the other games they just shrugged their shoulders and ran at you. Enemy AI has gone way down hill, imo the smartest enemies were the covenant from combat evolved. Elites would dodged your throws almost every time, at close range they would evade to either side while punching you, and if you got through their shields they would either get stunned or hide. They rarely berserked. And let’s not forget the grunts! These little guys were smart in CE, often they would dodge grenade throws even if you were behind them. They were much more composed than they are in reach or 4, and come on now - they’re voices were absolutely hilarious! Halo 2 grunt voices were lame and didn’t even sound like the voice actor was trying. It isn’t fun to go up against bullet sponges where you HAVE to take along certain weapons throughout an entire level just to beat them - halo reach hunters nearing the end of pillar of autumn. The covenant are always fun and satisfying to fight. They’re even uglier when they’re dead!

Yeah the Brutes berserking in Halo 2 was great!

You have pretty good points too about AI in other Halo games.

The Elites are my favorite enemies to fight, yet at the same time, they were the greatest allies.

I dont see the love for the halo 2 brute, they were more bullet spungey than prometheans and just ran at you all the time. Then you had guns like the shotgun which would have made sense to be good against do next to squat.

I’d say covies are my fav though, and I agree with others the halo 1 elite AI seemed the most fun to fight. The covies have a well rounded arsenal with units that all behave differently and stand out.

The flood have never been quite right. I love their concept, but their levels tend to be the more annoing ones and their weaknesss and strengths fluctuate crazily every game.

Prometheans seem like a lot of individually great ideas got mashed together and watered down.