What's wrong with ground pound?

I find it very well balanced. At first in the beta, I thought it was something like destiny’s fist of havoc where it would kill anybody in a certain range. It takes skill to use and is a risk/reward ability. I’m hearing a lot of complaints on ground pound but I don’t see where they’re coming from. Anyone want to enlighten me on what’s so wrong about it?

nothing i like it lol

I think people think its too cheap or an easy button. Especially since we’re not accustomed to listening for the sound or looking…up

People don’t like the ability to one shot a spartan without a powerweapon but honestly the only way that happens is if you are standing still, or you run right to where they are landing and at that point you kinda deserve it.

If you have your volume turned up its easy to thrust out of the way. It has a loud jet engine sound before they can divebomb you.

I think its fine, but maybe should be disabled for certain modes… not warzone though.

To get 1 shotted by ground pound you have to already be low on shields or get direct impacted. It’s crazy easy to avoid if you’re aware it’s coming, and if you do avoid it then the person who attempted it is extremely vulnerable in both the air and on the ground.

Nothing is wrong with it.

There’s nothing wrong if you’re aware of your surroundings. I love hearing that sound, it usually means an easy kill is coming for me.

I don’t even care about the gameplay ramifications. I just think the whole concept is dumb and gimmicky.

> 2811398874529013;8:
> I don’t even care about the gameplay ramifications. I just think the whole concept is dumb and gimmicky.

How is it dumb and gimmicky? You have to give some reason to support your claim. Also, gimmicky just means that you think it’s stupid.

I didn’t have an issue with the ground pound…

…until I tried to air Spartan Charge an enemy who was attempting to GP a teammate, and he ended up pounding me instead. Apparently GP has priority over SC.

Derp.

In all seriousness, because of it’s risk/reward use AND because you need a direct divebomb for it to generate a kill on full shields, it’s balanced. It’s also not really used heavily by higher level competitive players. HOWEVER, if 343i ever implements a no radar MLG style playlist to the Arena, watch for that to come back at the higher levels in little spurts (of course, if abilities in such a playlist were ever retained - something tells me SC and GP would be nixed). Honestly, because it is so telegraphed and you can hear it from a mile away even on a semi low volume, if you get hit with it, it’s YOUR fault. Keep your head on a swivel!

Starkiller baby.

> 2535455681930574;9:
> > 2811398874529013;8:
> > I don’t even care about the gameplay ramifications. I just think the whole concept is dumb and gimmicky.
>
>
> How is it dumb and gimmicky? You have to give some reason to support your claim. Also, gimmicky just means that you think it’s stupid.

By “gimmicky”, I mean that the drive to put it in the game likely wasn’t that anyone thought it was a good addition to the game, but rather that it was flashy and would catch the eye of children and people with short attention spans.

And I think the mechanic is dumb because it is completely out of place in the Halo universe. Spartans are supposed to be soldiers, not the wannabe super heroes 343 is trying to turn them into. A soldier doesn’t look at the gun in his hands and go, “you know what, I think I’d rather hurl my body at the enemy instead”. A soldier wouldn’t willingly give up higher ground and eliminate a safe distance from the enemy for the chance at a flashy kill. No one would do that because it’s idiotic.

I like it. It’s actually pretty well balanced.

Sometimes there is no way a player can counter it, especially if the person ground pounding you is extremely high up and you don’t notice them.

> 2811398874529013;12:
> > 2535455681930574;9:
> > > 2811398874529013;8:
> > > I don’t even care about the gameplay ramifications. I just think the whole concept is dumb and gimmicky.
> >
> >
> > How is it dumb and gimmicky? You have to give some reason to support your claim. Also, gimmicky just means that you think it’s stupid.
>
>
> By “gimmicky”, I mean that the drive to put it in the game likely wasn’t that anyone thought it was a good addition to the game, but rather that it was flashy and would catch the eye of children and people with short attention spans.
>
> And I think the mechanic is dumb because it is completely out of place in the Halo universe. Spartans are supposed to be soldiers, not the wannabe super heroes 343 is trying to turn them into. A soldier doesn’t look at the gun in his hands and go, “you know what, I think I’d rather hurl my body at the enemy instead”. A soldier wouldn’t willingly give up higher ground and eliminate a safe distance from the enemy for the chance at a flashy kill. No one would do that because it’s idiotic.

In 1v1 situations, giving up higher ground doesn’t matter, so long as you get the kill. Or what if you’re being chased from where you are, and see an enemy below? Ground Pound enables you to both escape from your pursuers and potentially earn a kill at the same time.

Beyond the actual damage component of GP it has other uses as well. I frequently use a canceled GP to draw out players that are hiding in cover. The sound of a charging GP is usually enough to make a hiding player move. Canceling the GP with a thrust and going back to gunplay engagement is a great way to throw players off.

I think that it is another tactic, that must be learned to use and counter. I like ground pounding campers the most.

> 2533274871590643;11:
> Starkiller baby.

^ This. Its good for some medals.

> 2533274960333173;16:
> Beyond the actual damage component of GP it has other uses as well. I frequently use a canceled GP to draw out players that are hiding in cover. The sound of a charging GP is usually enough to make a hiding player move. Canceling the GP with a thrust and going back to gunplay engagement is a great way to throw players off.

I didn’t even think of that, but is an amazing tactic. Hearing Ground-Pound right above me pretty much always gets me to move.

Can never get enough distance from a pounder! My shields are too weak. If I’m lucky, they just graze me and are lousy shots.
Anyways, it fine. It looks great performed on someone.