What's wrong with Forge?

Am I missing something?

First of all, the magnet tool is completely broken. It hardly ever aligns objects perfectly. It frustrates the blam out of me!

Second, why can’t you move objects slowly like in Reach? In Reach you just held down LS and the object moved slowly. In Halo 4, there’s no way to make an object move slow. And because magnets are broken, I can’t line up objects perfectly AT ALL. This is hindering my map-making progress greatly.

I apologise if these questions have already been answered, I have been on the forums very little the past few days for obvious reasons.

OP, You have every right to complain. Unless there’s some sort of Forge title update to go along with a BIG new Forge World type of map, then I’d have to say that us forgers got screwed on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8YE-jTpyFA&lc=-6OvfImbxOXErWm7kELx6qFbeY_Drfjz6JYbephPglA&feature=inbox

Read Certain Infinity’s replies in the comments, they basically claim removing the features is something we have to get used to and that just adding magnets makes it superior.

Forge mode without been able to slowly moves stuff is bad. Simple as that.

Magnets discourage creativity, there are pre-established points with objects that may align, but this also means that you can only use magnets to line up parts a certain way

Forge has flourished so far because of the creativity put into it, made possible by hand fine-tunning parts.

with the removal of the fine tuning option, we are forced to either

(a) only place parts along the magnet locations, or
(b) rely on the coordinate plane, and trust that they line up right.

eventually, this will mean that combining and merging parts in new and interesting ways will be greatly limited by what the magnets and coordinate grid allows

you may occasionally see maps where the parts have been hand aligned, but the difficulty in fine tuning will make these very rare

in short, while magnets may be great for casual forgers, those of us who want to go a step further in creativity are barred by the removal of this rather important feature

Just another major oversight in this game that really hurts the experience for the forging community. Fine tuning needs to come back.

Forgive me if I have missed something, but it seems like I can’t zoom in on what I am doing in Forge either, whereas I could in Reach. I could click the right thumb stick and it would do. Can’t seem to do that in Halo 4.

both fine tuning and zoom have been removed.

In addition, does anyone else find the noise the monitor makes incredibly annoying?

at least in Reach, it was quiet, and easily overlooked, but now it is very hard to ignore.

Yep, i had to mute my TV, forge is something you spend a lot of time in. Making some annoying sound really loud, may seem trivial…but not in this case.

OP it’s because they don’t like creativity, they just want you to give em money and enjoy their cod in space game

Forge has been nothing but a disappointment, no major improvements along with bad forge maps.

Halo 4 needs a forge world map. Doing forge on the current maps(as of 11.08.12) just isn’t as fun as it was in reach or in Halo 40th anaversy edition. If you see this 343 industries pleas creat a forge world map.

> Am I missing something?
>
> First of all, the magnet tool is completely broken. It hardly ever aligns objects perfectly. It frustrates the blam out of me!
>
> Second, why can’t you move objects slowly like in Reach? In Reach you just held down LS and the object moved slowly. In Halo 4, there’s no way to make an object move slow. And because magnets are broken, I can’t line up objects perfectly AT ALL. This is hindering my map-making progress greatly.
>
> I apologise if these questions have already been answered, I have been on the forums very little the past few days for obvious reasons.

1. You can turn magnets off.

2. I miss slow movememnt too. It helped to fine tune maps.

3. Forge is ok overall. Fact it makes things look like they “belong” on the map with context and shadows is awesome!!! I was tired of seeing that horrible Cybertron gray on EVERY Forge map. Waited for Master Chief to say: “Cortanna! Transform and roll out!”

4. Wish 343i would work with Certain Inifinty (think thats them?) to delete buildings on existing maps and basically give is a clean slate to Forge on them. Some of those maps are wicked nice looking!

Does it show the control scheme for the monitor when you pause it like in reach?

This is something I can relate to, so I’m going to write my various forge complaints in this thread, instead of making another, just in case I get done for spamming. Here goes:

> Ok, so first I want to say how much I appreciate all the work certain affinity have put into forge, the new features are amazing, and the new additions to the pallet are fantastic, but as always, I have to complain.
>
> First off, the maps.
> Lets be perfectly honest, they really aren’t the best forge environments ever. I might even vouch to say that they’re the worst, as Reach had forge world and 3 had sandbox & foundry. They are quite simply TOO SMALL, and the boundaries are waiting round every corner to stop you building anything even slightly notable in size.
>
> Ravine, for instance, was shown off before launch, with the commentator boasting that you can go really far off the ledge and work all the way down the canyon. But that is NOT the case, the canyon has a kill boundary (surprise) near the bottom and if you go really that far off of the ledge you hit yet another kill boundary. You can’t go up too far, or you hit a kill boundary, and trying to get over the slight hill opposite to the forerunner structure results in you meeting an unfortunate fate at the hands of a kill boundary. The terrain is yet another complaint I have to express, it’s incredibly bumpy and has random dips, it’s not really useful for anything, and ruins any chance of redemption for the map itself.
>
> Impact looked the most interesting for me, I mean, when have we got to forge in space before? I was quite excited to check out if it had lots of special items in the pallet and if the vehicles acted differently, but you can imagine my disappointment when I found yet more kill boundaries and an immovable structure making the map look ugly. This, paired with the rather puny exclusive pallet was a disappointment, and another map for large-scale forge opportunity down the drain.
>
> But I hadn’t given up hope, there was still one more map, Erosion, and it seemed as if it had a foundry remake built in when I watched a video from CA prior to launch. This must be a good map if we at least get foundry back, even if it isn’t large scale. But boy was I wrong, if this was meant to be a foundry remake, then whoever crafted it failed high school geometry, because there are craters caving into the walls all over, oddly placed doors and a floor that doesn’t look flat. The rather creepy looking textures on the walls was yet another disappointment, and this, partnered with a bunch of kill barriers wherever you go outside, and another shockingly scarce exclusive pallet, really did crush my hopes for forge. It’s not even like you could ignore the disgusting interior, because the incredibly impractical terrain outside leaves you with little/no opportunity for forging.
>
> The main point I want to get across is that it’s not the MODE forge that sucks, it’s the MAPS. They’re too small, and the terrain is too impractical. Now, CA can correct this yet, they have copied a large amount of objects from Reach and imported them into 4, so what is stopping them from giving us forge world back? Or at the very least just go back a few more years and grab good old sandbox - a true forgers map. It had everything, the skybox allowed for massive scale maps floating in the air, the ground allowed for more serious forgers to build competitive maps, and the underground arena type area gave way to some fantastic map ideas.
>
> So come on Certain Affinity, stop slacking with forge, after all the work 343 has done to make a fantastic story mode, multiplayer, and spartan ops.

Maybe I’m mistaken, but it seems to move slower if you look straight down on the item you are moving… The lack of zoom does make it hard to really see what’s going on though because some of the objects you just can get close enough too.

As far as magnets go though i haven’t had any trouble with them… they seem to align fine to me. You may have to make sure that your angles are right since they align to single points and not entire sides or anything.

> Maybe I’m mistaken, but it seems to move slower if you look straight down on the item you are moving… The lack of zoom does make it hard to really see what’s going on though because some of the objects you just can get close enough too.
>
> As far as magnets go though i haven’t had any trouble with them… they seem to align fine to me. You may have to make sure that your angles are right since they align to single points and not entire sides or anything.

It’s only with certain objects that I have this problem. For example, with a 5x5 Flat, I’ll have the problem, but with a tunnel, I won’t have the problem. With some objects, it’s hardly noticeable, but it matter to me.

Someone above said, “turn magnets off”. I would, but since we can’t place objects slowly, and accurately, magnets will have to do.

Thanks for the help guys, although I’m a bit disappointed. :wink:

So many soft kill zones and presets in the way… Don’t forget about these problems.

I just want a box to forge in. No more of this terrain BS. Stop trying to give me stupid hills. I don’t want hills, I want a box. Sandbox was the best forge map by far (even beat forgeworld). Not happy with the apparent lack of effort put into forge by 343i.

Two things, Big forge world (Sandbox like) and LS object movements fixed :smiley:

The “Edit Coordinates” option solves your fine tuning problem… That option doesn’t make it anymore fine than that. And when you’re building a structure out of blocks, walls, etc. the magnets are extremely helpful. Forge isn’t completely broken.