What's wrong with borrowing ideas, features?

People keep claiming that just because Halo 4 is adopting COD elements, it is turning into one. I haven’t seen COD fans complaining about adopting regeneration system.
Look, Halo influenced tons of shooters and established the base for other shooters.
Don’t you think it is time for other shooters to pay debt?
And it seems many people forget Halo during old time and present.
There was no competition during old time, but now we get ones. Without adopting to certain formula, Halo will fall behind. 343i is taking each step carefully, testing how each formula works.
To be like COD? Just upgrade graphic(Heck, COD barely does it anyway.) without chaning the old formula.

It all depends on the feature its adopting.

For instance, Sprint was adopted, and as much as we kicked and screamed, it was probably time we adopted it.

Customizable Loadouts on the other hand…

> It all depends on the feature its adopting.
>
> For instance, Sprint was adopted, and as much as we kicked and screamed, it was probably time we adopted it.
>
> Customizable Loadouts on the other hand…

Are going to be complained about, but shouldn’t be too bad as long as we end up with a balanced sandbox.

> > It all depends on the feature its adopting.
> >
> > For instance, Sprint was adopted, and as much as we kicked and screamed, it was probably time we adopted it.
> >
> > Customizable Loadouts on the other hand…
>
> Are going to be complained about, but shouldn’t be too bad as long as we end up with a balanced sandbox.

The sandbox is not going to be perfectly balanced at launch, and until a TU is implemented players are going to take advantage of the most OP combo they can.

For example, you can spawn with a PP. Mix that with Camo and a Carbine and you have a walking Death Machine.

Look at that, I already broke Halo 4’s sandbox before the game even shipped.

> > > It all depends on the feature its adopting.
> > >
> > > For instance, Sprint was adopted, and as much as we kicked and screamed, it was probably time we adopted it.
> > >
> > > Customizable Loadouts on the other hand…
> >
> > Are going to be complained about, but shouldn’t be too bad as long as we end up with a balanced sandbox.
>
> The sandbox is not going to be perfectly balanced at launch, and until a TU is implemented players are going to take advantage of the most OP combo they can.
>
> For example, you can spawn with a PP. Mix that with Camo and a Carbine and you have a walking Death Machine.
>
> Look at that, I already broke Halo 4’s sandbox before the game even shipped.

Camo better be changed pretty significantly from its Reach version. Plasma pistol spawns don’t worry me, besides in screwing with vehicular combat, because it seems like tracking is severely nerfed. The BR should be upped to a 4-shot, though, although I probably won’t even use it.

Because the “ideas and features” suck.

Call of Duty is the best selling series for years in a row. I don’t see any problem in taking ideas. I alternate between playing Call of Duty and Halo, so I don’t get why the fanbase here hates Call of Duty so much.

> Call of Duty is the best selling series for years in a row. I don’t see any problem in taking ideas. I alternate between playing Call of Duty and Halo, so I don’t get why the fanbase here hates Call of Duty so much.

Its not so much they hate CoD, as it is that there’s a rivalry between the two. The feeling is mutual as i’ve noticed. The CoD side doesn’t like the Halo side, and the Halo side doesn’t like the CoD side. So if one does the same as the other, its practically blasphemy to the community. But I don’t speak for everyone. Truthfully, I don’t like CoD and am essentially a Halo fanboy through and through, but i’m not gonna bash CoD on a video, or in a forum. No.

I also like everything 343 is doing with Halo 4. I have absolutely no complaints. That goes for Forward Unto Dawn as well.

> > Call of Duty is the best selling series for years in a row. I don’t see any problem in taking ideas. I alternate between playing Call of Duty and Halo, so I don’t get why the fanbase here hates Call of Duty so much.
>
> Its not so much they hate CoD, as it is that there’s a rivalry between the two. The feeling is mutual as i’ve noticed. The CoD side doesn’t like the Halo side, and the Halo side doesn’t like the CoD side. So if one does the same as the other, its practically blasphemy to the community. But I don’t speak for everyone. Truthfully, I don’t like CoD and am essentially a Halo fanboy through and through, but i’m not gonna bash CoD on a video, or in a forum. No.
>
> I also like everything 343 is doing with Halo 4. I have absolutely no complaints. That goes for Forward Unto Dawn as well.

I’ve never heard of CoD community hating Halo. On CoD Wiki, most of the users I know are also Halo players. The only hating I see is BF3 this and BF3 that.

> > > Call of Duty is the best selling series for years in a row. I don’t see any problem in taking ideas. I alternate between playing Call of Duty and Halo, so I don’t get why the fanbase here hates Call of Duty so much.
> >
> > Its not so much they hate CoD, as it is that there’s a rivalry between the two. The feeling is mutual as i’ve noticed. The CoD side doesn’t like the Halo side, and the Halo side doesn’t like the CoD side. So if one does the same as the other, its practically blasphemy to the community. But I don’t speak for everyone. Truthfully, I don’t like CoD and am essentially a Halo fanboy through and through, but i’m not gonna bash CoD on a video, or in a forum. No.
> >
> > I also like everything 343 is doing with Halo 4. I have absolutely no complaints. That goes for Forward Unto Dawn as well.
>
> I’ve never heard of CoD community hating Halo. On CoD Wiki, most of the users I know are also Halo players. The only hating I see is BF3 this and BF3 that.

I’ve never been on a CoD site, but most of the CoD players I meet despise Halo. So to me, it looked like the majority of the CoD community didn’t like Halo.

> I’ve never heard of CoD community hating Halo. On CoD Wiki, most of the users I know are also Halo players. The only hating I see is BF3 this and BF3 that.

i gotta say BF3 is by far a better game than CoD, in my opinion that is. but anyway OP, i agree, halo is taking features from other games like CoD, and CoD’s multiplayer is obviously successful (it works but i still dislike it) which people are gonna hate on but it will probably work like you say, if not then a TU will hopefully fix it

Ya, that’s the thing OP. Halo used to be the one coming up with new ideas that other people stole. Now it’s the one following.

The gameplay ideas/mechanics that Halo is borrowing don’t work in Halo. They violate some core principles (such as spawning with the same items and quick movement speed with no sprinting).

Agree, I have always wanted sprint in a Halo game since day one and I would like more Halo games to enjoy. but the thing I find funny is that I see people who want Halo to be the pretty much the same, yet COD is doing just that and people hate it saying it’s the exact same game :stuck_out_tongue:

Well now that I think of it yes MW3 is pretty much MW2, at least Treyarch finally upgraded the graphics engine for BO2 they even have an interview video about it (Would have been better if they rebuilt it for every game like Halo but it’s a start)and the gameplay changes I have seen and rumors about multiplayer have me interested in it. But my money is going towards the Halo 4 Limited Edition.

Think of it this way too, how would we have genres if there wasn’t a sharing of ideas and mechanics amongst certain games?

Side scrollers, First Person Shooter, Action-Adventure, Role Playing, Light Gun, etc, how would these genres exist if there wasn’t a multitude of games working with similar formulas and variables?

> Ya, that’s the thing OP. Halo used to be the one coming up with new ideas that other people stole. Now it’s the one following.

And were still coming out with new ideas in halo 4 were going to have a mini series that follows after the campaign which is going to be (from my point of view) Awesome.

Btw where would we all be without doom? and how they Changed the shooter games??

Nothing.

Almost Every game does it.