What's with the necro-posting?

Two questions:

1. Why are we seeing so many necro-posts from year-old threads?

2. If 343i doesn’t want it to happen, why don’t they lock the threads?

People type stuff into Google, then don’t look at the dates.

Sometimes necro-posting seems 100% legit (like the Google situation). I don’t understand why necro-posting isn’t encouraged when good supporting information is there.

(I don’t do it of course b/c rules, but I don’t understand why)

> Sometimes necro-posting seems 100% legit (like the Google situation). I don’t understand why necro-posting isn’t encouraged when good supporting information is there.
>
> (I don’t do it of course b/c rules, but I don’t understand why)

Well there have been a few cases when the mods don’t lock a thread if the necro-poster is on-topic. But a lot of the time it just seems like people who revive old threads do it to be a troll :confused:

Great point actually. I agree that the vast majority are trolls. Probably better to eliminate it than to have to make judgement calls all the time as a mod.

I guess I think from a constructive point of view, which usually doesn’t work the greatest on forums (:

You all seem to enjoy using terms like “a lot” and “majority” without citing empirical data.

I’ve “necro-posted” in a couple threads in the past few days. This is because the forum doesn’t have enough fast-moving or new content for me to stay on the front page. If I see an interesting topic on page 4 or 5, and it isn’t locked, I’m probably going to post my opinion.

My hope usually is that OP will receive an email alert when I post.

> If I see an interesting topic on page 4 or 5

In the Halo 4 forum in particular, page 4 and 5 are usually only a couple weeks old at most. That’s not the same as resurrecting a year-old topic, especially about issues that have already been resolved or questions that have already been answered. Some resurrected topics are story speculations from before Halo 4 released, and then the necroposter calls everyone who posted idiots for not understanding Halo 4’s story.

> People type stuff into Google, then don’t look at the dates.

Exactly this…Many new members and/or passers ignore the date, however, IMO, small threads (excluding threads that require weekly updates) should be locked after a month and a half of no activity. Saves time and avoids post boosting, if you think about it. Then again, its not for us to decide. Its all up to admins and mods.

> You all seem to enjoy using terms like “a lot” and “majority” without citing empirical data.
>
> I’ve “necro-posted” in a couple threads in the past few days. This is because the forum doesn’t have enough fast-moving or new content for me to stay on the front page. If I see an interesting topic on page 4 or 5, and it isn’t locked, I’m probably going to post my opinion.
>
> My hope usually is that OP will receive an email alert when I post.

There’s a difference between a thread on Page 4 and a thread on page 137.

Difference between a 3 day old thread and a year old thread. The latter ones are necroposts. I’d say that Necroposts generally are reviving threads with no activity for more than a month or two.

The problem with many necroposts are that their issues have been long resolved.

A year ago, before Spartan Ops ended: “Do you think Requiem will be destroyed?”
Today: “Requiem got sent into a sun.”

It is quite likely that everyone who participated in the thread is well aware of that by now. It’s just reviving a thread that’s discussion has long run its course. Sometimes it’s “beating a dead horse”. Sometimes they just don’t make any sense.

I feel like there should be a system that automatically locks a thread after two or so months of inactivity. Threads that are meant to be continually updated could have a special “group” so they don’t get locked, but you don’t generally see those kind of threads going more than a month of inactivity.

We’ve been seeing a number of 1 year old necro posts and have been locking them. Feel free to PM any of the monitors with links, the report buttons for specific posts in a thread work equally as well too.

The rules don’t allow necro-bumping, generally if you’re adding something new to a thread conversation, that is only a few days or weeks old, then it’s fine but months or years old and the rules have us lock it.

Starting a new thread in place of necro-bumping is an option to create discussions too.

I’ll be locking this thread as it’s non-constructive in the Halo 4 forums but please continue to use the reporting features, it helps everyone on the forums. Cheers.