Whats with the horrible textures on the Grunt and Elite?

Elite
Grunt
Seriously these are like Halo 2 era textures, whats up with these? Please tell me these are not the final textures. I love that they are really high poly, but if you guys had to sacrifice texture resolution for them please just go back to lower poly models.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I kind of like the elites, but I hate the grunts.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI

how about instead of looking at it shrunk you click that little magnifying glass to see what it actually looks like full resolution.

> I kind of like the elites, but I hate the grunts.

The grunts do not look like grunts. AT ALL. They looks like Gears of War locust rejects mixed with a shark and a toad.

These pictures look more like Advanced concept art to me. Im sure they aren’t final. I think the grunts look awesome though!

> Elite
> Grunt
> Seriously these are like Halo 2 era textures, whats up with these? Please tell me these are not the final textures. I love that they are really high poly, but if you guys had to sacrifice texture resolution for them please just go back to lower poly models.

You have to realize it’s a very big picture, so zoomed in it’s not going to look as clean as a smaller size.

I’m sure you’ll get the same effect with character models from crysis 2 and killzone.

> > I kind of like the elites, but I hate the grunts.
>
> The grunts do not look like grunts. AT ALL. They looks like Gears of War locust rejects mixed with a shark and a toad.

They are horrible, what happened to the methane mask?

I think they look incredibly detailed and while the grunts now look like fat little shark mouthed mutants the covenant were never supposed to be pretty. They just look like the ugly monsterous aliens that you’d expect and thats just more of an exuse to shoot them.

> > Elite
> > Grunt
> > Seriously these are like Halo 2 era textures, whats up with these? Please tell me these are not the final textures. I love that they are really high poly, but if you guys had to sacrifice texture resolution for them please just go back to lower poly models.
>
> You have to realize it’s a very big picture, so zoomed in it’s not going to look as clean as a smaller size.
>
> I’m sure you’ll get the same effect with character models from crysis 2 and killzone.

They are still much lower res than Halo 3 or Reach, at least on the armor.

Better question is where is the grunt’s -Yoink-?

> > > I kind of like the elites, but I hate the grunts.
> >
> > The grunts do not look like grunts. AT ALL. They looks like Gears of War locust rejects mixed with a shark and a toad.
>
> They are horrible, what happened to the methane mask?

This is 5 years after Halo 3, their armour evolved just like the spartans. It seems like the only need methane through their nose now instead of needing a mask. I kind of like it, they look badass.

> > > Elite
> > > Grunt
> > > Seriously these are like Halo 2 era textures, whats up with these? Please tell me these are not the final textures. I love that they are really high poly, but if you guys had to sacrifice texture resolution for them please just go back to lower poly models.
> >
> > You have to realize it’s a very big picture, so zoomed in it’s not going to look as clean as a smaller size.
> >
> > I’m sure you’ll get the same effect with character models from crysis 2 and killzone.
>
> They are still much lower res than Halo 3 or Reach, at least on the armor.

You do realise that those are just old images and not final in-game models, right?

I hate how the Elites look now. they were at their best in Halo 2 and 3 you can sit down and have a cup of tea with these elites but now they’ve reverted to gator men.

> > > Elite
> > > Grunt
> > > Seriously these are like Halo 2 era textures, whats up with these? Please tell me these are not the final textures. I love that they are really high poly, but if you guys had to sacrifice texture resolution for them please just go back to lower poly models.
> >
> > You have to realize it’s a very big picture, so zoomed in it’s not going to look as clean as a smaller size.
> >
> > I’m sure you’ll get the same effect with character models from crysis 2 and killzone.
>

If you get a Halo 3 or Reach screenshot the same size it’s not going to look any better than these.

> > > Elite
> > > Grunt
> >
> >
>

lol no, about the same res as reach, maybe higher …

> > > Elite
> > > Grunt
> >
> >
>

Really?

> > > > I kind of like the elites, but I hate the grunts.
> > >
> > > The grunts do not look like grunts. AT ALL. They looks like Gears of War locust rejects mixed with a shark and a toad.
> >
> > They are horrible, what happened to the methane mask?
>
> This is 5 years after Halo 3, their armour evolved just like the spartans. It seems like the only need methane through their nose now instead of needing a mask. I kind of like it, they look badass.

It shouldn’t evolve because the Elites and Grunts don’t understand Covenant Technology. Also any Oxygen through the mouth should harm the Grunts.

> > > > Elite
> > > > Grunt
> > > > Seriously these are like Halo 2 era textures, whats up with these? Please tell me these are not the final textures. I love that they are really high poly, but if you guys had to sacrifice texture resolution for them please just go back to lower poly models.
> > >
> > > You have to realize it’s a very big picture, so zoomed in it’s not going to look as clean as a smaller size.
> > >
> > > I’m sure you’ll get the same effect with character models from crysis 2 and killzone.
> >
> > They are still much lower res than Halo 3 or Reach, at least on the armor.
>
> If you get a Halo 3 or Reach screenshot the same size it’s not going to look any better than these.

I can go into Halo Reach or 3 on my 32" TV and fill my screen with a close up of different parts of them and they still look better.

> > > > Elite
> > > > Grunt
> > > > Seriously these are like Halo 2 era textures, whats up with these? Please tell me these are not the final textures. I love that they are really high poly, but if you guys had to sacrifice texture resolution for them please just go back to lower poly models.
> > >
> > > You have to realize it’s a very big picture, so zoomed in it’s not going to look as clean as a smaller size.
> > >
> > > I’m sure you’ll get the same effect with character models from crysis 2 and killzone.
> >
>
> You do realise that those are just old images and not final in-game models, right?

And that’s why I asked in my first post if these were final. Look at the first renders we got of the covies in halo 3 and Reach, that’s what we ended up getting in the end.

> > > > Elite
> > > > Grunt
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> Really?

The only thing that looks worse is the shell, which I pointed out it’s the armor that looks worse on them in Halo 4. Look at the lines and detail on the grunt in Reach, it’s all smooth and clean, in Halo 4 it’s very pixelated.

> > > > Elite
> > > > Grunt
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> lol no, about the same res as reach, maybe higher …

Look at the lines on the armor in Halo 4, see how pixelated they are in Halo 4? Now look at Reach, the lines are smooth.