What's with the Halo 5 visor?

I thought the purpose of a visor was to block glare and help Spartans see through the BS on the battlefield - like not being blinded by the sun, any grenade explosions, or anything they would encounter.
Now, I could see if we didn’t run around with helmets on without a visor or sunglasses. Then glare and grenade blinding would totally make sense…

Could anyone or maybe 343i please explain the reasoning behind this?

Its probably just a gameplay things. Or are you looking for a lore-based explanation?

Even in the lore, the SPARTAN visors had difficulty from time to time adjusting to radical and sudden changes in light brightness and intensity. It’s because of the visors that a Spartan isn’t momentarily blinded by grenades and explosions. It’s because of the armor Spartans can even survive the grenades and explosions.

> 2535470403504159;3:
> Even in the lore, the SPARTAN visors had difficulty from time to time adjusting to radical and sudden changes in light brightness and intensity. It’s because of the visors that a Spartan isn’t momentarily blinded by grenades and explosions. It’s because of the armor Spartans can even survive the grenades and explosions.

I guess that would make sense. I mean in H1 through Reach we never saw anything in campaign, about the visor sensitivity… Maybe in HR a little bit. But for multiplayer-value I see little in it honestly.

I didn’t play much Halo 4 to focus on School. Played a little bit of H2A. Getting back into Halo now though.

> 2533274843296489;4:
> > 2535470403504159;3:
> > Even in the lore, the SPARTAN visors had difficulty from time to time adjusting to radical and sudden changes in light brightness and intensity. It’s because of the visors that a Spartan isn’t momentarily blinded by grenades and explosions. It’s because of the armor Spartans can even survive the grenades and explosions.
>
>
> I guess that would make sense. I mean in H1 through Reach we never saw anything in campaign, about the visor sensitivity… Maybe in HR a little bit. But for multiplayer-value I see little in it honestly.
>
> I didn’t play much Halo 4 to focus on School. Played a little bit of H2A. Getting back into Halo now though.

The Halo games themselves have said nothing about the visors, as they have never been plot relevant. From books however, authors are able to take the time and describe the nuances of battle and the implements used in battle, such as the visors. I can understand that the flash is annoying, but it is a grenade after all. At least the visors improve aim, and are the lore reason for having a giant reticule in the middle of the screen. Smart scope and hit scan, along with shields, health (biometrics), and radar are all tied into the visor and are projected for the benefit of the SPARTAN operator, so the visors may seem useless due to grenades, but are actually pretty nifty.

> 2535470403504159;5:
> > 2533274843296489;4:
> > > 2535470403504159;3:
> > > Even in the lore, the SPARTAN visors had difficulty from time to time adjusting to radical and sudden changes in light brightness and intensity. It’s because of the visors that a Spartan isn’t momentarily blinded by grenades and explosions. It’s because of the armor Spartans can even survive the grenades and explosions.
> >
> >
> > I guess that would make sense. I mean in H1 through Reach we never saw anything in campaign, about the visor sensitivity… Maybe in HR a little bit. But for multiplayer-value I see little in it honestly.
> >
> > I didn’t play much Halo 4 to focus on School. Played a little bit of H2A. Getting back into Halo now though.
>
>
> The Halo games themselves have said nothing about the visors, as they have never been plot relevant. From books however, authors are able to take the time and describe the nuances of battle and the implements used in battle, such as the visors. I can understand that the flash is annoying, but it is a grenade after all. At least the visors improve aim, and are the lore reason for having a giant reticule in the middle of the screen. Smart scope and hit scan, along with shields, health (biometrics), and radar are all tied into the visor and are projected for the benefit of the SPARTAN operator, so the visors may seem useless due to grenades, but are actually pretty nifty.

Thanks man:)

Am I right in saying that since one of the later updates there has been a difference in brightness? Al I KNOW is that there has been a change in colours, for example for the emblem.

I feel like the differences between dark/shady and sunny are way bigger. Its actually starting to get really fatiguing for me.
Especially with larger, btb, maps.

I do hate trying to look out of the garage bay doors on the top level of the Fortress on Stormbreak WZ and just being blinded by sun…then dying because there was an enemy spartan hanging out in the glare.

I can understand being blinded by grenade explosions but sometimes I feel like I’m walking around in a Michael Bay movie the lens flare is so intense you would think the UNSC would be able to throw some transition lenses in there or something

AND why is there so many green visors!?!?!?

> 2533274805467041;8:
> I do hate trying to look out of the garage bay doors on the top level of the Fortress on Stormbreak WZ and just being blinded by sun…then dying because there was an enemy spartan hanging out in the glare.

thats part of playing strategically though isnt it?

> 2533274805467041;8:
> I do hate trying to look out of the garage bay doors on the top level of the Fortress on Stormbreak WZ and just being blinded by sun…then dying because there was an enemy spartan hanging out in the glare.

I’ve been guilty of doing it. :smiley:

I guess it adds to the realisticness but I see where you are coming from.

I find the glare very annoying. It is not just like you can change it by setting the brightness. The transition between shady areas and light/outside spots is too much, at least in my opinion. This means it is fatiguing and I can only play one game of btb at the time. Smaller arena maps are just fine.

Maybe my eyes are a bit off today, idk. I’ll come back on it tomorrow possibly. Has this been a change as part of the last update, or am I going crazy:0

Well what would you rather have happen? It’d be weird without having a flash

> 2533274969813084;15:
> Well what would you rather have happen? It’d be weird without having a flash

A “bloom” effect like Halo 3’s lighting system would be perfect, with maybe more intense light from explosions and plasma weapons.

Halo 3 had bright, brilliant sun glare without looking like a supernova is occurring on the map. BTB maps in Halo 5 are terrible because of this.

> 2533274832335336;16:
> > 2533274969813084;15:
> > Well what would you rather have happen? It’d be weird without having a flash
>
>
> A “bloom” effect like Halo 3’s lighting system would be perfect, with maybe more intense light from explosions and plasma weapons.
>
> Halo 3 had bright, brilliant sun glare without looking like a supernova is occurring on the map. BTB maps in Halo 5 are terrible because of this.

completly agree