What's with the Cloak?

Alright, I have to admit it was badass. It totally worked to convey that lonely chief on a mission to recover Cortana vibe, but… What the heck? He’s wearing ARMOR! Why does he need the cloak?

Serious and humorous discussion welcome!

So we wouldn’t outright know it was a halo game

His visor was clearly damaged. It stands to reason that he’s wearing the cloak to protect his damaged armor from the sand. Maybe he’s gone rogue from the UNSC, and is unable to repair his armor?

Either way I thought it looked awesome.

His armor is in a state of disrepair from the looks of it, he may need it to protect himself against blowing sand which would further damage the internal systems.

The first though that popped up in the section of my brain devoted toward hating 343 no matter how the rest of my brain feels about it at the time can’t help but think that it was an attempt at getting people looking forward to Destiny, no matter how little sense that makes.
More likely it was just a way to hide who it was. I definitely agree that the cloak is stupid.

How do we know if he’s wearing all of his armor?

> The first though that popped up in the section of my brain devoted toward hating 343 no matter how the rest of my brain feels about it at the time can’t help but think that it was an attempt at getting people looking forward to Destiny, no matter how little sense that makes.
> More likely it was just a way to hide who it was. I definitely agree that the cloak is stupid.

So that explains why the majority of you are disappointed in 343. A section of your brain is programmed for it :P.

Jokes aside, it was interesting to see him in a cloak… I don’t necessarily mind it.

Reasons why Chief could be wearing a cloak:

Wants to keep a low profile.

Armor could be heavily damaged a not keep out the heat. (most likely due to the cracks and seeming damage to the helmet)

Camouflage in the desert environment.

Not wearing all of his armor.

To surprise the audience

To keep himself cool, to keep sand out of his armor, camouflage, ect . Also why care? It looked badass!

> How do we know if he’s wearing all of his armor?

Indeed, I think he may only have a portion of his armor. I wonder if he is searching for Cortana.

OT - I think the cloak was there mainly just to not reveal chief, making the audience think it was a different game. As said above as well, his armor may be damaged.

Heh, I could have mistaken him for a marauder. xD

There are plenty of reasons but the word ‘vagrant’ comes to my mind.

Beggar = Mendicant Bias?

Did anyone else notice how his cloak lacked the bumps of his thrusters? I was a bit confused when I saw that.

its probably to protect the armor from the sand. Metal does not go well with sand.

seemed pretty obvious to me. he doesnt want anyone/thing to recognize him.

ROGUE MASTER CHIEF, GONNA GET CORTANA BACK!

A nod to Destiny perhaps?

Or maybe because sand gets into everything. I can’t imagine it’s much fun to get sand in your armor.

got disowned from the UNSC. so he quested out to find a war sphinx… thats all i got.

Dramatic effect and to keep you interested… you don’t know its Halo yet.

Canonically, his armor is obviously damaged. Perhaps the cloak is to make sure the sand doesn’ t directly wear down his armor and shields. And camoflage if he did go rogue doing this.

> The first though that popped up in the section of my brain devoted toward hating 343 no matter how the rest of my brain feels about it at the time can’t help but think that it was an attempt at getting people looking forward to Destiny, no matter how little sense that makes.
> More likely it was just a way to hide who it was. I definitely agree that the cloak is stupid.

The allusion to Destiny is obvious, as is the allusion to Gears of War with the dogtag like memory chip. What was missing was the allusion to Halo. zing

> So we wouldn’t outright know it was a halo game

Its funny, when i saw that, i thought it was destiny, until I saw the glove. Pretty interesting trailer though.