Whats the problem with ADS?

I really don’t get it. I agree that the first time I saw the animation was offsetting. After playing the game I realized that this doesn’t change the game at all. You un-zoom whenever you’re shot like every other Halo (except H4). Just because it looks different doesn’t make it feel different. In addition, I love how they’ve added a zoom to every gun now; something I’ve wanted for a while. The biggest problem for me is that the DMR scope takes up too much of your vision, but other than that, nothing’s changed. Am I missing something else? Whatever it was, it definitely didn’t bother me during the 3 weeks of the beta

It is different. The AR and SMG benefit too much from it, and it really feels like you HAVE to zoom in to get a good shot in. Also, it adds that stupid lock-on to the Energy Sword, and I don’t even want to THINK about how it will break the Shotgun.

Hold up. If you HAVE to zoom in for a good shot, how do they benefit too much from it? AR and SMG should be stronger at close range, but precision weapons still dominate H5.
And the engergy sword isn’t much better than it was in previous games. There’s more you can do to avoid the sword now, so it makes sense for them to buff it a bit. After all, it’s one of the best weapons ever.

If you ask me, the “ADS” in Halo 5 function the same as it did in past games, just with a more BioShock 1 look to it.

> 2533274873409440;4:
> If you ask me, the “ADS” in Halo 5 function the same as it did in past games, just with a more BioShock 1 look to it.

Pretty much this. Even in the past games, zooming made weapons more accurate, increasing their range. All they did is add zoom to traditionally non-zoomable weapons while changing the look a bit. There is no difference between “ADS” and “Zooming.” “ADS” is just a fancy name for “Zoom.”

> 2533274794312469;5:
> > 2533274873409440;4:
> > If you ask me, the “ADS” in Halo 5 function the same as it did in past games, just with a more BioShock 1 look to it.
>
>
> Pretty much this. Even in the past games, zooming made weapons more accurate, increasing their range. All they did is add zoom to traditionally non-zoomable weapons while changing the look a bit. There is no difference between “ADS” and “Zooming.” “ADS” is just a fancy name for “Zoom.”

The thing is that it essentially breaks the AR, SMG, and ESPECIALLY the Energy Sword. I also don’t even want to THINK about what it will do to the Shotgun. Also, it just obscures vision. It’s ugly.

> 2533274903234962;6:
> > 2533274794312469;5:
> > > 2533274873409440;4:
> > > If you ask me, the “ADS” in Halo 5 function the same as it did in past games, just with a more BioShock 1 look to it.
> >
> >
> >
> > Pretty much this. Even in the past games, zooming made weapons more accurate, increasing their range. All they did is add zoom to traditionally non-zoomable weapons while changing the look a bit. There is no difference between “ADS” and “Zooming.” “ADS” is just a fancy name for “Zoom.”
>
>
> The thing is that it essentially breaks the AR, SMG, and ESPECIALLY the Energy Sword. I also don’t even want to THINK about what it will do to the Shotgun. Also, it just obscures vision. It’s ugly.

Played the game for 3 weeks. Pretty balanced actually, nothing broken. As for the shotgun, I believe that you want there to be a large spread. Zooming in would hold you back if anything since your turning speed is reduced. I can’t see it buffing the shotgun all that much

> 2533274903234962;6:
> > 2533274794312469;5:
> > > If you ask me, the “ADS” in Halo 5 function the same as it did in past games, just with a more BioShock 1 look to it.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Pretty much this. Even in the past games, zooming made weapons more accurate, increasing their range. All they did is add zoom to traditionally non-zoomable weapons while changing the look a bit. There is no difference between “ADS” and “Zooming.” “ADS” is just a fancy name for “Zoom.”
>
>
>
> The thing is that it essentially breaks the AR, SMG, and ESPECIALLY the Energy Sword. I also don’t even want to THINK about what it will do to the Shotgun. Also, it just obscures vision. It’s ugly.

It breaks neither the AR nor the SMG. In the first week of the beta, I never felt ‘I have to zoom in to get a kill’ (especially not with a standard halo control scheme like bj), with these weapons. In cqc only halo scrubs, who played things like cod before, would zoom in. However with the addition of smart scope, you can challenge mid-range weapons better, but you will eventually loose against a good BR player if u don’t back up.

> 2533274820441404;8:
> > 2533274903234962;6:
> > > 2533274794312469;5:
> > > > 2533274873409440;4:
> > > > If you ask me, the “ADS” in Halo 5 function the same as it did in past games, just with a more BioShock 1 look to it.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Pretty much this. Even in the past games, zooming made weapons more accurate, increasing their range. All they did is add zoom to traditionally non-zoomable weapons while changing the look a bit. There is no difference between “ADS” and “Zooming.” “ADS” is just a fancy name for “Zoom.”
> >
> >
> >
> > The thing is that it essentially breaks the AR, SMG, and ESPECIALLY the Energy Sword. I also don’t even want to THINK about what it will do to the Shotgun. Also, it just obscures vision. It’s ugly.
>
>
> It breaks neither the AR nor the SMG. In the first week of the beta, I never felt ‘I have to zoom in to get a kill’, with these weapons. In cqc only halo scrubs, who played things like cod before, would zoom in. However with the addition of smart scope, you can challenge mid-range weapons better, but you will eventually loose against a good BR player if u don’t back up.

I remember I got only one long range kill with SMG, and it was because my teammate got an enemy down to one shot. ADS feels balanced. Can’t wait to see how it makes the carbine and shotgun look.

> 2533274794312469;5:
> > 2533274873409440;4:
> > If you ask me, the “ADS” in Halo 5 function the same as it did in past games, just with a more BioShock 1 look to it.
>
>
> Pretty much this. Even in the past games, zooming made weapons more accurate, increasing their range. All they did is add zoom to traditionally non-zoomable weapons while changing the look a bit. There is no difference between “ADS” and “Zooming.” “ADS” is just a fancy name for “Zoom.”

No it absolutely did not, maybe in h2a, but that doesn’t count because it’s a remake and changes the classic zoom. They restricted my vision, and made weapons scoping more powerful, by adding accuracy. It’s not at all the same mechanic.

> 2533274794312469;5:
> > 2533274873409440;4:
>
>

Zooming in the past games (aside from H2A) didn’t change accuracy or spread. The only advantage you had with zooming was the auto aim.

> 2533274840212973;11:
> > 2533274794312469;5:
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> Zooming in the past games (aside from H2A) didn’t change accuracy or spread. The only advantage you had with zooming was the auto aim.

Zoming in made the reticle smaller relative to your distance from the target. Which means more accuracy.

> 2535423595683400;12:
> > 2533274840212973;11:
> > > > If you ask me, the “ADS” in Halo 5 function the same as it did in past games, just with a more BioShock 1 look to it.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Pretty much this. Even in the past games, zooming made weapons more accurate, increasing their range. All they did is add zoom to traditionally non-zoomable weapons while changing the look a bit. There is no difference between “ADS” and “Zooming.” “ADS” is just a fancy name for “Zoom.”
> >
> >
> >
> > Zooming in the past games (aside from H2A) didn’t change accuracy or spread. The only advantage you had with zooming was the auto aim.
>
>
> Zoming in made the reticle smaller relative to your distance from the target. Which means more accuracy.

Your bullets are not limited to the reticle. They spread outside of it in H1-4

> 2535423595683400;12:
> > 2533274840212973;11:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > Zooming in the past games (aside from H2A) didn’t change accuracy or spread. The only advantage you had with zooming was the auto aim.
>
>
> Zoming in made the reticle smaller relative to your distance from the target. Which means more accuracy.

It only did that in h2a, not in any real halo games.

It seems Halo players are not used to having a balanced weapon sandbox. Automatics “seem” overpowered because we’re so used to their crappy past iterations. This is how it should be. Reminds me of CE.

> 2533274820441404;8:
> > 2533274903234962;6:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > The thing is that it essentially breaks the AR, SMG, and ESPECIALLY the Energy Sword. I also don’t even want to THINK about what it will do to the Shotgun. Also, it just obscures vision. It’s ugly.
>
>
> It breaks neither the AR nor the SMG. In the first week of the beta, I never felt ‘I have to zoom in to get a kill’, with these weapons. In cqc only halo scrubs, who played things like cod before, would zoom in. However with the addition of smart scope, you can challenge mid-range weapons better, but you will eventually loose against a good BR player if u don’t back up.

I personally think the SMG has too much accuracy when zoomed in, and the other weapons (Swords, Shotguns) will break.

The only complaint I have is with the Pistol scope. It is actually very usless. It seems like there is less aim assits when you scope in with the pistol.
But yeah the Smart scope function is well balanced; just need to tone down the bullet magnetism, I mean whoa!

What’s wrong with it?

You mean other than…
*Taking up a huge portion of the screen(reducing player fov)
*Slow to activate(Making for more awkward ranged engagements)
*Applied across the board(Reducing diversity)
*Changing spread patterns.(Classic zooming shrinks the cone of fire but it did not change it)

And on top of all that it is actually more lore unfriendly since the whole point of smart-link scopes and implants were originally used to explain why A.) Players had a reticle without having to ADS. and B.) Players were able to zoom without needing to bring the weapon up to their face.

As far as visuals are concerned it is a complete downgrade from a player perspective. Giving extra bonuses for using smart scope is for all intents and purposes the same as ‘punishing’ hip fire which is why I don’t believe Halo 5s smart scope to be compatible with “Halo” gameplay.

It is completely ridiculous for anyone to claim it is “just an aesthetic change” or is otherwise not a significant change to gameplay.

> 2533274819446242;18:
> *Taking up a huge portion of the screen(reducing player fov)
> Totally a legitimate complaint, but isn’t a huge change by itself.
> *Slow to activate(Making for more awkward ranged engagements)
> Again, a legit complaint. One I have myself.
> *Applied across the board(Reducing diversity)
> Yet again, I lean towards not wanting it on every weapon, but I’m not against every weapon having it. Not a huge change by itself.
> *Changing spread patterns.(Classic zooming shrinks the cone of fire but it did not change it)
> If it shrinks the cone of fire, it is changed. You can’t have it change but not change.
>
> And on top of all that it is actually more lore unfriendly since the whole point of smart-link scopes and implants were originally used to explain why A.) Players had a reticle without having to ADS. and B.) Players were able to zoom without needing to bring the weapon up to their face.
> That’s a very good point. The problem is, you have to read between the lines to really get it. No one every explicitly explained that that was what’s going on so it’s one of those things that are easily overlooked.

From my point of view, ADS isn’t a new feature and all they’re doing is changing how Zooming works a bit. All the “gameplay affecting” changes are all things traditional zoom did anyway. The only real thing ADS changes are visual things. In my opinion, all of the visual changes ie. reduced fov, sights blocking your view, slow activation, can all be removed.

I do think zoom should be removed from the AR, Sword, and Shotgun. However, I really like how Zoom plays with the SMG. I’m not sure what it is, but it’s just incredibly fun.

Overall, I don’t think any one thing changed about Zoom is bad by itself, but taken all together, it’s too much.

> 2533274794312469;5:
> > 2533274873409440;4:
>
>

actually bro it is called smart scoping. get it right hur-durr. jkjk…but srsly it is called smart scope