What's the point of the X?

It vanishes within a second, far before my teammate has a chance to respawn.

Yeah, well, I never really noticed it when I played yesterday. Besides, like you said, it disappears really quickly. It’s supposed to be a tactical marker to let you know that a teammate has been killed and allows you to figure out where a few of the enemies are at on the map.

It disappears a little too quickly at the moment. It should hang around for a couple of seconds looker, like the X on the motion tracker.

> Yeah, well, I never really noticed it when I played yesterday.

The patch wasn’t out yesterday.

Player 1: “One shot on my X!”
Player 2: “Where’s your X?”

lol

> Yeah, well, I never really noticed it when I played yesterday. Besides, like you said, it disappears really quickly. <mark>It’s supposed to be a tactical marker to let you know that a teammate has been killed and allows you to figure out where a few of the enemies are at on the map.</mark>

Which is odd because the “X” doesn’t tell you whether the person died via CQC, from near to midrange combat or was sniped from across the map.

IMO. the “X” in Halo 4 is pointless.

After all, I can easily discern where my team mates have died as you do note that their TAG disappears. Yes, that is only briefly helpful,if at all, if you happen to be looking that direction. This white "X"is no different. Unless you are looking the direction your teammate is when s/he dies and the TAG disappears and then is briefly replaced with the white “X”, no purpose was served. The only time an “X” might have been useful is when people are in a Team,have MICs and use the call…“one shot on my X”. Or, they indicate that a power weapon can be retrieved on “my X”. Otherwise, no point.

> "One shot on my X!"
> “Where’s your X?”
>
> lol

It doesn’t help that it follows your body. Good luck if you get naded off the map.

> "One shot on my X!"
> “Where’s your X?”
>
> lol

:slight_smile:

It isn’t there for your dead teammates to see, it’s supposed to alert your living allies to your location when you die. Say you’re in a group and suddenly the guy to your left in the next room dies, you see his X marker and know trouble is nearby.

If you and your teammate died at the same time, the X isn’t going to do anything for either of you.

I like it, glad it’s back, I didn’t really miss it but I’m not going to complain about a long sought after feature’s triumphant return.

> It isn’t there for your dead teammates to see, it’s supposed to alert your living allies to your location when you die. Say you’re in a group and suddenly the guy to your left in the next room dies, you see his X marker and know trouble is nearby.
>
> If you and your teammate died at the same time, the X isn’t going to do anything for either of you.
>
> I like it, glad it’s back, I didn’t really miss it but I’m not going to complain about a long sought after feature’s triumphant return.

Well there’s two problems with the X that returned today.

• It vanishes way too fast, before you even respawn.
  • It follows your dead body, so if your body falls off the map, it is essentially useless.

It isn’t a triumphant return so much as a half–Yoinked!- return. 343i have mastered the art of half–Yoink-, I believe.

Before people do start complaining though, the addition of the X may have been a bit useless, but when a player dies, their service tag will remain until they respawn.

Of course there is still the issue of the service tag following the body, but none the less, we’ve got something.

> Before people do start complaining though, the addition of the X may have been a bit useless, but when a player dies, their service tag will remain until they respawn.
>
> Of course there is still the issue of the service tag following the body, but none the less, we’ve got something.

It’s better than nothing.

Not much, mind you, but progress is progress and I appreciate the (what would appear to be) mild effort they put into this.

Out of curiosity, did the patch release today or was there just a video I missed?

> > Before people do start complaining though, the addition of the X may have been a bit useless, but when a player dies, their service tag will remain until they respawn.
> >
> > Of course there is still the issue of the service tag following the body, but none the less, we’ve got something.
>
> It’s better than nothing.
>
> Not much, mind you, but progress is progress and I appreciate the (what would appear to be) mild effort they put into this.
>
> Out of curiosity, did the patch release today or was there just a video I missed?

The TU is out.

> It isn’t there for your dead teammates to see, it’s supposed to alert your living allies to your location when you die. Say you’re in a group and suddenly the guy to your left in the next room dies, you see his X marker and know trouble is nearby.
>
> If you and your teammate died at the same time, the X isn’t going to do anything for either of you.
>
> I like it, glad it’s back, I didn’t really miss it but I’m not going to complain about a <mark>long sought after feature’s triumphant return</mark>.

Triumphant?

Thy couldn’t get the color right (red) and it disappears before you can say “On my…”

Underwhelming return more like it.

To each their own, I guess.

>
>
> I like it, glad it’s back, I didn’t really miss it but I’m not going to complain about a <mark>long sought after feature’s triumphant return</mark>.

Sorry…double post!

> > It isn’t there for your dead teammates to see, it’s supposed to alert your living allies to your location when you die. Say you’re in a group and suddenly the guy to your left in the next room dies, you see his X marker and know trouble is nearby.
> >
> > If you and your teammate died at the same time, the X isn’t going to do anything for either of you.
> >
> > I like it, glad it’s back, I didn’t really miss it but I’m not going to complain about a <mark>long sought after feature’s triumphant return</mark>.
>
> Triumphant?
>
> Thy couldn’t get the color right (red) and it disappears before you can say “On my…”
>
> Underwhelming return more like it.
>
> To each their own, I guess.

It was white in Reach.

This X and nothing are the same.

Seriously 343, do you like Halo¿?

> Before people do start complaining though, the addition of the X may have been a bit useless, but when a player dies, their service tag will remain until they respawn.
>
> Of course there is still the issue of the service tag following the body, but none the less, we’ve got something.

One shot on my tag!

Wait, what!? When was this implemented? Please don’t tell me they did it wrong.