What's the Ideal Ranking System?

Let’s talk about what we think the ideal ranking system should be. I think the more people talk about this, the better. Let’s hope 343 will listen.

I’ll start. I would have a system similar to Halo 3’s, but slightly different. Experience gained during matches would be mostly invisible, except for an emblem (like H3) and armor unlocks. But doesn’t matter too much, and could be played with.

My skill-based ranking system goes from 1-99. Everyone’s rank is visible. You go up and down in rank depending on two factors. The first factor is if you win or lose a game. A quit is an automatic loss. This factor is slightly more important to your rank than the second. The second factor is how well you do. This is fairly easy to judge for slayer games, and fairly difficult to judge for objective games, but it wouldn’t be too difficult to get a rough idea. At the beginning, when you are low ranks, the system should be made so that it is difficult to rank down. At the higher ranks, it should be made so that it is much easier to rank up and down, depending on how well you do. This would make it more competitive as you leveled up higher, which makes sense for obvious reasons. It would also get exponentially more difficult to level up as you got higher, which would make a rank of 99 more difficult to achieve than a rank of 50. You would be matched in matchmaking with people around your level. Unlike Halo 3, this rank is the same through all ranked playlists, and not different for each ranked playlist. Boosting and cheating wouldn’t work well because a) de-ranking would be useless in a system like this and because b) playing with a higher-level player wouldn’t make you level up faster if this was implemented properly. Sorry if I explained this poorly, it really isn’t that complex of a system.

So, now let’s hear your ideas. What do you think the ideal ranking system would be?

ELO Ranking system.

Star Craft 2 has an interesting system

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Please sir…no more…

League of Legends has a great ranking system

Starcraft 2

World of Warcraft arena

Yahoo! Pool

Pretty much any company that wanted to introduce a visible, skill based ranking system and puts any level of thought into it whatsoever. I can’t really think of a mainstream game that had a skill based ranking system that flopped entirely…hmm…nothing comes to mind

> I can’t really think of a mainstream game that had a skill based ranking system that flopped entirely…hmm…nothing comes to mind

Me neither, come to think of it.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

if you cant tell, the mod is pretty much insta locking any -Yoinking!- about the ranking system.

plus if anyone DOES want visible numbers its because they just want to dickwave whenever they go back to school and say “im a level 50 and you all suck because your not”.

i.e. grow up

Halo Combat Evolved

> if you cant tell, the mod is pretty much insta locking any -Yoinking!- about the ranking system.
>
> plus if anyone DOES want visible numbers its because they just want to dickwave whenever they go back to school and say “im a level 50 and you all suck because your not”.
>
> i.e. grow up

No. People want to get to level 50 or whatever because accomplishing hard tasks makes you feel good about yourself. And who cares about why people want to rank up, seriously? It’s 343’s job to make a game people will like a lot. And jeez, I wonder why people are making so many threads? What strange and mysterious reason could that be?

But, back on topic I suppose. The HCE ranking system doesn’t work in this day and age because people expect a ranking system, just like people expect better graphics.

Anyone?

Truskill leaderboards for each playlist.

A 1-100 rank that accounts for the last 100 days only, calculated by win-loss, K/D, assists etc.

Sc2 has a pretty boss ranking system. And its only visible in your profile.

Starcraft 2.

One that discourages losing.

Copy and paste League’s ELO system. It works very well IMO

I thought Halo 2 and 3’s worked alright.

Reach’s Arena was pretty stupid though.

I think something similar to our BPR rating found on waypoint, except using data only from Halo 4. Like a statistical average of all our ranked games across whatever ranked gametypes we could have. (personally I feel the more the better) But use only individual statistics. Don’t count wins/loss ratios, or any kind of team-based statistic. I want to know how I stack up individually first.

Use that to give us some kind of aggregate score, or better yet a percentile i.e. top 75%, top 50%, and so on. That way we can use this information to know where we stand, and clearly indicate whether or not we’re improving overall.

Either make this the displayed ranking system, or, factor in the team-based statistics such as wins/losses etc., and make make that average our visible rank. Preferably, I would like to see both, but the key thing for me is being able to see how well I do as an individual compared to how well I contribute to my teammates overall.

I think our “rank” should include both since fictionally the UNSC would never rank a Spartan on an individual’s ability to work well as an individual.

Stick with the 1-50, That was great! Maybe incorporate seasons. Similar to SC2
Still blows my mind that they arent adding a visible ranking system, It was a lot of fun in h3 and a lot of people loved the feeling of going up a rank,Best feeling when i got my 50, Id love to do it again in a new game :smiley:

Halo 2 or 3 system would make me very happy