Whats so Special?

About Halo? And why do you all like it so much?

For me, its a FPS that doesn’t have a huge seriousness about it. The amount LOLs you can have driving a warthog or mongoose, sticking people across the map randomly, etc.

It holds a recreational and comedic value which is, in a way, unique to FPS games :slight_smile:

For me it’s the story. I just love the Halo universe.

> For me it’s the story. I just love the Halo universe.

^ This. :slight_smile:

I just love the story.

Campaign - Story

Multiplayer - The Community

I have met an incredible amount of people I now consider friends through this game. One of the main things I look forward to every weekend is connecting with them while traversing the virtual battlefield. I’ve always loved the community, and I will always love the community. :slight_smile:

Honestly, the only reason why I play Halo is because it is the only game to keep my attention for as long as it has. I can buy a new game, play it for a couple of hours, but I know I will be plugging Halo back in. Halo is familiar and comfortable to me. I’m an old, feeble man that doesn’t like change.

To be honest, I used to think that Halo was the only FPS I wanted to play… until I played Modern Warfare.

But I still play halo because it’s just very different. Honestly, I find just trying to shoot people in Halo infuriating. I want to have people die after I shoot them in the head… and that’s why I favor CoD in this respect. But I will admit, it takes more skill to aim in Halo than it does in CoD. I just don’t like the ‘skill’ of the game to be centered on aiming because it’s not something I can improve.

However, Halo is incredibly fun when it comes to the vehicles and the crazy game types. The objective games are just a lot more fun in Halo than they are in CoD. The tanks, the banshees, ghosts, the Helicopter… all tons of fun. You can’t really get that type of gameplay in any other FPS. It does also take strategy, but the strategy is more about dominating the weapons/vehicles than it is about where to set up your ambush. (Just because you can’t ambush people that well in Halo (except to assassinate them) and numbers always win because everyone has shields, whereas in CoD I can easily kill five people running into a room if I’m positioned correctly. And YES you CAN take a well defended room, it just takes some coordination with flashbangs and grenades.)

(Also I don’t believe that ‘camping’ is bad. It just doesn’t make sense to me. How does being stealthy and clever about where you are on the map make you a bad player??? It’s that inherent position that the true ‘skill’ in an FPS is one’s ability to aim, and that using your wits is cheating. The only time camping is unsporting is spawn-camping, and that’s really no longer a problem in most FPS games.)

Tribes has a small but thriving community, sadly most of us have lost touch, otherwise I’d still be there. Halo has a great story, incredible multiplayer, and I’ve met some absolutely incredible people playing Halo.

I also love Gears of War and Battlefield. Both have helped forge some amazing memories and great friendships. But Halo is HUGE, it is the Star Wars of video games.

> For me, its a FPS that doesn’t have a huge seriousness about it. The amount LOLs you can have driving a warthog or mongoose, sticking people across the map randomly, etc.
>
> It holds a recreational and comedic value which is, in a way, unique to FPS games :slight_smile:

This

> I have met an incredible amount of people I now consider friends through this game. One of the main things I look forward to every weekend is connecting with them while traversing the virtual battlefield. I’ve always loved the community, and I will always love the community. :slight_smile:

Huge ditto to that. The story is great, the gameplay is cool, but it’s definitely more about the friends I’ve made playing the game. Add to that a community that’s so diverse and you have a game that will pretty much always have my attention. I’ve yet to find any other game that keeps me interested and coming back to it the way Halo does.

Interesting to see peoples replies. Im honestly not playing Halo Wars because of Halo, or the fact its an RTS, I think I just like the game. Most RTS games I have played are alright, but not great.

> About Halo? And why do you all like it so much?

the easter eggs

music

daily and weekly challenges

multiplayer

the custom maps and screen shots

customization of the spartans

Starcraft, Myth, and Age of Empires are still the best.

It’s all about the Universe for me; the many layers to the story and the many, many facets and genres that make up the Universe for me.

I also love the community, it’s dedication to the cause, the hours that people patiently helped me when I first took up a controller and started waffling into a mic, and Halo will always be very dear to me as I met my very wonderful and longsuffering partner playing Halo 3 multiplayer almost three years ago.

Halo is also, in my opinion, one of the most creative bunches I have stumbled across, and the teams at Bungie, 343i and the whole host of partnership communities are keeping that very much alive. Just look at the love and care that went into Halseys book, I Love Bees and the work that Claude gets up to!

V :slight_smile:

The halo universe has a story that’s not so distant to ours, [UNITED NATIONS space command, bullets, etc.] but at the same time it’s set in a forseeable future (for humans). Then comes the covenant, the forerunner and the flood. It’s so interesting seeing all those different cultures and their ways. The mistery of the forerunners is so intriguing and the danger of the flood sets you on your toes.

To see all the devastation caused by the covenant, the light of a new alliance and old hatreds, it’s just something that sets it apart from so many other things. It’s full of mistery! In star wars, you can’t say, hm this is what we will look like in X years!. Halo has a lot of refrences to our past and present (like in halo legends, origins II). It has refrences of problems we face today, (rainforest wars).

The structure of the covenant is interesting, even more when you know the prophet’s know the truth.

But even story aside, the multiplayer. You can do a lot of stuff with it in the FPS. All the variants and the forge! All you can do with it all those posibilities, imagination! And the gameplay it’s so vivid and natural. For halo wars, the controls are very natural. Halo + RTS = Epic battles!

But what would make it better, is that if we could see the interacton betwen different worlds, different cultures. Interplanetary and extraplanetary. Also to make more with the base we already have. Not to mention, going to the edge of sanity would make things spicy.

> Starcraft, Myth, and Age of Empires are still the best.

OH… MY… GOD…

WHEN DID THEY MAKE STARCRAFT FOR XBOX 360, AND WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME???

Just kidding. :wink: The point was that it’s the best console RTS.

Halo is the only game I play. When I didn’t have an xbox, and only had a PS2 back in the day, I would either start up some Ratchet and Clank, or even some Super Smash Bros. on the Gamecube. Now that I have a 360, Reach, and a comfy chair, I can’t stop playing it. Several people don’t like it, but I’m absolutely, positively, NOT one of those people. I love Reach, and any Halo game for that matter. The only one before this that I actually played on the 360 was Halo 3, but I’ve seen, and played Halo 2 on the computer a few times.

:slight_smile: