What's In A Remake?

So, I was going back through the archive of Waypoint videos and I watched the Memory Lane vid centered around Sanctuary. It brought back fond memories of playing on that particular map.

I thought about Asylum, then, and in turn Pinnacle, the remake of that eternal favorite Ascension. And a question popped into my mind. Do these maps have the feel of those old maps, or do they just seem like the generic Forge blocks arranged in a similar shape?

I’m not really counting Reflection in this for a reason. It is actually ‘made’, not put together in Forge. It manages to have a feel to it, something that incorporates a little of the old Ivory Tower, while at the same time adding that Asian influence as well. I don’t know if Asylum and Pinnacle have that real feel. In Sanctuary, there was life to the map. You had the dry side, and the wet side, and it really felt dynamic. Asylum seems kind of… dead, for lack of a better word. Maybe static is more of what I’m going for. It just feels lifeless compared to its predecessor. Pinnacle is much the same way. There’s no atmosphere.

So the questions I pose are: does anyone else seem to notice this, or am I just an oddity here? And, a question that might better fit in the Forge forum, can we truly capture the spirit and feel of an older map in Reach, or should we focus on making things that have their own, unique feel?

I guess the ultimate question here is, why so much focus on remaking things?

I do miss the aesthetics, Asylum mostly doesn’t feel the same because now I need new markers now that the water is gone, but Pinnacle feels pretty damn good.

The missing aesthetics is mainly what I’m trying to ask about. To me, both maps now seem like just collections of Forge blocks in the shape of old maps I loved. They don’t have the character of the old ones. You can’t say, “This is a tranquil collection of ancient buildings constructed in a serene natural setting,” or, “This is an old communications relay atop a rock spire shrouded in mist.” They’ve lost something, something vital, I think.

But that’s just my opinion. What does everyone else think?

What a great question!

I answer your inquiry with a similar one of my own: Is it possible to faithfully recreate the feel of an original map when you can’t change the backdrop, the associated map-specific elements (the little things like butterflies, the sound of a waterfall, stalactites, the buzzing of static, etc), and the details that aren’t tangible yet play a big part in their overall feel?..

> I answer your inquiry with a similar one of my own: Is it possible to faithfully recreate the feel of an original map when you can’t change the backdrop, the associated map-specific elements (the little things like butterflies, the sound of a waterfall, stalactites, the buzzing of static, etc), and the details that aren’t tangible yet play a big part in their overall feel?..

I would argue that it is not. That’s kind of what I was trying to say before. Asylum, Pinnacle, and even Hemorrhage to a degree don’t really seem to retain that feel that their original maps had. I don’t consider this particularly game-breaking, just pretty regrettable. I mean, in my opinion solely, maybe there was a waste trying to recreate those maps when it is either not possible, or very hard to, faithfully recreate their feel. New maps could have been made in Forge that managed to have a feel of their own. The Cage comes to mind, as well as Paradiso.

I guess the point that I have, at the end of all this, is if you’re going to remake a map then you’d better not leave out the feel. And if the feel, the soul to get somewhat poetic, is not there, then perhaps it is better to create anew rather than simply retread old ground that cannot be brought back with the tools you have.

But again, just my opinion.