Whats Halo's communities biggest problem?

I see a lot of people talk about the old Halo’s nostalgia, and how amazing the community was back in the day. My question to the community is what are its biggest problems and how can we go about fixing it?

Is this whole thing a lack of a social media relevance? What kind of videos would you guys like to see, or want more of? Ive heard a few people say that.

What exactly is the issue?

> 2535431221908268;1:
> I see a lot of people talk about the old Halo’s nostalgia, and how amazing the community was back in the day. My question to the community is what are its biggest problems and how can we go about fixing it?
>
> Is this whole thing a lack of a social media relevance? What kind of videos would you guys like to see, or want more of? Ive heard a few people say that.
>
> What exactly is the issue?

The community back in the day was great because of online services being new and being able to connect with friends. It’s the same with many MMOs on initial release. Halo just needs to get back to what makes it fun for a wide audience yet at the same time competitive for the hardcore players.

Nothing is ever going to replicate classic Halo since the landscape has dramatically changed. The community still can grow if a solid Halo game meets the quality prior to Reach in multiplayer.

> 2533274792737987;2:
> > 2535431221908268;1:
> > I see a lot of people talk about the old Halo’s nostalgia, and how amazing the community was back in the day. My question to the community is what are its biggest problems and how can we go about fixing it?
> >
> > Is this whole thing a lack of a social media relevance? What kind of videos would you guys like to see, or want more of? Ive heard a few people say that.
> >
> > What exactly is the issue?
>
> The community back in the day was great because of online services being new and being able to connect with friends. It’s the same with many MMOs on initial release. Halo just needs to get back to what makes it fun for a wide audience yet at the same time competitive for the hardcore players.
>
> Nothing is ever going to replicate classic Halo since the landscape had dramatically changed. The community still can grow if a solid Halo game meets the quality prior to Reach in multiplayer.

I actually really liked Reach, but I do think the epitome of Halo was 3. So if we just have a fun game, that will make everything feel alive again?

> 2535431221908268;3:
> > 2533274792737987;2:
> > > 2535431221908268;1:
> > > I see a lot of people talk about the old Halo’s nostalgia, and how amazing the community was back in the day. My question to the community is what are its biggest problems and how can we go about fixing it?
> > >
> > > Is this whole thing a lack of a social media relevance? What kind of videos would you guys like to see, or want more of? Ive heard a few people say that.
> > >
> > > What exactly is the issue?
> >
> > The community back in the day was great because of online services being new and being able to connect with friends. It’s the same with many MMOs on initial release. Halo just needs to get back to what makes it fun for a wide audience yet at the same time competitive for the hardcore players.
> >
> > Nothing is ever going to replicate classic Halo since the landscape had dramatically changed. The community still can grow if a solid Halo game meets the quality prior to Reach in multiplayer.
>
> I actually really liked Reach, but I do think the epitome of Halo was 3. So if we just have a fun game, that will make everything feel alive again?

Reach had a great story however the multiplayer made a lot of Halo players go play COD. Nothing is going to have that classic feeling ever again. It’s hard to accept, but the landscape of gaming is dramatically different today. They can still have a wildly acclaimed game and it still won’t touch that feeling for classic players.

They are on the right track to get back to the formula and also bring constant content that will keep the community dialed into Halo. It just depends on how well everything is executed.

Afraid of narrative change.

Many want Chief to be the silent type for the sake of nostalgia. I say it’s time for Chief to evolve into an actual character. A character who’s story can challenge ourselves and change lives. Art is about disturbing the comfortable and comforting the disturbed. God of War, The Last Of Us did it. Why can’t Halo? Hell, even Halo 2 challenged my view on religion… However, it wasn’t from Chief’s perspective, but the Arbiter’s.

Afraid of different game genre.

Halo is the type of universe that can be FPS, strategy, TPS, RPG, 3rd person action adventure, platforming, and survival type game. The universe of Halo doesn’t revolve around Master Chief. I’d love a 3rd person Flood survival Halo game that’s similar to The Last Of Us. Or an RPG set during the Forerunner era. Or a 3rd person shooter set during the human-forerunner war. Halo has that versatility that many other game franchises simply don’t.

Guerilla games made FPS Killzone Shadowfall (73 meta) right before making a huge comeback with RPG Horizon Zero Dawn (87 meta). And now look far they’ve come with Horizon Forbidden West gameplay.

Why can’t 343 do the same?

> 2535431221908268;1:
> I see a lot of people talk about the old Halo’s nostalgia, and how amazing the community was back in the day. My question to the community is what are its biggest problems and how can we go about fixing it?
>
> Is this whole thing a lack of a social media relevance? What kind of videos would you guys like to see, or want more of? Ive heard a few people say that.
>
> What exactly is the issue?

Nostalgia leaves you blind to glaring issues.

CE for example has only two mission sizes: corridor and empty plains.

Halo 2 is actually the worst Halo in terms of difficulty balancing (no, its not that fun on Legendary. At all).

I could go on, but you get the idea

I think the problem is Halo dropped off the mainstream radar after Reach. I remember the Halo2 and Halo3 ad campaigns being played after Monday night RAW on tv. Basically Halo needs to be trendy and cool again

> 2533274949216347;5:
> Afraid of narrative change.
>
> Many want Chief to be the silent type for the sake of nostalgia. I say it’s time for Chief to evolve into an actual character. A character who’s story can challenge ourselves and**change lives. Art is about disturbing the comfortable and comforting the disturbed. God of War, The Last Of Us did it. Why can’t Halo? Hell, even Halo 2 challenged my view on religion… However, it wasn’t from Chief’s perspective, but the Arbiter’s.
>
> Afraid of different game genre.
>
> Halo is the type of universe that can be FPS, strategy, TPS, RPG, 3rd person action adventure, platforming, and survival type game. The universe of Halo doesn’t revolve around Master Chief. I’d love a 3rd person Flood survival Halo game that’s similar to The Last Of Us. Or an RPG set during the Forerunner era. Or a 3rd person shooter set during the human-forerunner war. Halo has that versatility that many other game franchises simply don’t.
>
> Guerilla games made FPS Killzone Shadowfall (73 meta) right before making a huge comeback with RPG Horizon Zero Dawn (87 meta). And now look far they’ve come with Horizon Forbidden West gameplay.
>
> Why can’t 343 do the same?

I feel like asking 343 to make another Halo game after this big of a delay and time to prepare isnt a great idea. Personally I would love a lot of those, but I dont think thats what will make the community feel alive again.

> 2535465841210047;6:
> > 2535431221908268;1:
> > I see a lot of people talk about the old Halo’s nostalgia, and how amazing the community was back in the day. My question to the community is what are its biggest problems and how can we go about fixing it?
> >
> > Is this whole thing a lack of a social media relevance? What kind of videos would you guys like to see, or want more of? Ive heard a few people say that.
> >
> > What exactly is the issue?
>
> Nostalgia leaves you blind to glaring issues.
>
> CE for example has only two mission sizes: corridor and empty plains.
>
> Halo 2 is actually the worst Halo in terms of difficulty balancing (no, its not that fun on Legendary. At all).
>
> I could go on, but you get the idea

Yeah all of the games had their issues, but even if we are looking at them with rose tinted glasses now, back then they were still amazing games everyone loved. How could we go about logging in and having those full custom game lobbies, and people talking about halo at school again?

I don’t think social media has anything to do with it. I think if anything social media tends to make things worse as it often involves ridiculous amounts of pandering to the point it starts forming memes like “Silence Brand”. There’s also the matter of the reality of communicating with a major social media account being that they’ll likely never read what you’ve said.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the player base of Halo, but instead there’s a larger issue. That issue being hardly anyone uses their mics in game chat anymore. When no one is talking no one making friends. No new friends means you see less “good times™”. I do need to mention since this is the internet… No, this is not 343i’s fault. This goes for most games not just Halo.

> 2533274852319616;7:
> I think the problem is Halo dropped off the mainstream radar after Reach. I remember the Halo2 and Halo3 ad campaigns being played after Monday night RAW on tv. Basically Halo needs to be trendy and cool again

Thats my biggest fear after Halo 4 tried to be trendy and cool lol.

> 2533274975565198;10:
> I don’t think social media has anything to do with it. I think if anything social media tends to make things worse as it often involves ridiculous amounts of pandering to the point it starts forming memes like “Silence Brand”. There’s also the matter of the reality of communicating with a major social media account being that they’ll likely never read what you’ve said.
>
> I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the player base of Halo, but instead there’s a larger issue. That issue being hardly anyone uses their mics in game chat anymore. When no one is talking no one making friends. No new friends means you see less “good times™”. I do need to mention since this is the internet… No, this is not 343i’s fault. This goes for most games not just Halo.

This. Halo was made for better or worse from this. I remember falling asleep with my headset on LOL.

> 2533274949216347;5:
> **Afraid of narrative change.**Many want Chief to be the silent type for the sake of nostalgia. I say it’s time for Chief to evolve into an actual character. A character who’s story can challenge ourselves and change lives. Art is about disturbing the comfortable and comforting the disturbed. God of War, The Last Of Us did it. Why can’t Halo? Hell, even Halo 2 challenged my view on religion… However, it wasn’t from Chief’s perspective, but the Arbiter’s.
>
> **Afraid of different game genre.**Halo is the type of universe that can be FPS, strategy, TPS, RPG, 3rd person action adventure, platforming, and survival type game. The universe of Halo doesn’t revolve around Master Chief. I’d love a 3rd person Flood survival Halo game that’s similar to The Last Of Us. Or an RPG set during the Forerunner era. Or a 3rd person shooter set during the human-forerunner war. Halo has that versatility that many other game franchises simply don’t.
>
> Guerilla games made FPS Killzone Shadowfall (73 meta) right before making a huge comeback with RPG Horizon Zero Dawn (87 meta). And now look far they’ve come with Horizon Forbidden West gameplay.
>
> Why can’t 343 do the same?

Master Chief says more when he vocalizes less. It’s doesn’t make him any less of a character at all. Let’s be real. Halo 4 sold as many copies as Horizon so it’s not a popularity issue, but more of Halo 5’s story was awful issue.

> 2535431221908268;11:
> > 2533274852319616;7:
> > I think the problem is Halo dropped off the mainstream radar after Reach. I remember the Halo2 and Halo3 ad campaigns being played after Monday night RAW on tv. Basically Halo needs to be trendy and cool again
>
> Thats my biggest fear after Halo 4 tried to be trendy and cool lol.

I respect that they at least tried something different even if it didnt all pan out the way everyone hoped.

H4 for all its glaring problems still managed to construct a good story and in particular one that explores the Chief and Cortana.

It also has the first Assault Rifle I actually like using (which is rare for me)

> 2533274975565198;10:
> I don’t think social media has anything to do with it. I think if anything social media tends to make things worse as it often involves ridiculous amounts of pandering to the point it starts forming memes like “Silence Brand”. There’s also the matter of the reality of communicating with a major social media account being that they’ll likely never read what you’ve said.
>
> I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the player base of Halo, but instead there’s a larger issue. That issue being hardly anyone uses their mics in game chat anymore. When no one is talking no one making friends. No new friends means you see less “good times™”. I do need to mention since this is the internet… No, this is not 343i’s fault. This goes for most games not just Halo.

I think I can agree with you on that. Literally no one uses their mics anymore. Back in MW2 Halo 3 days people that didnt have mics were considered minorities. Now everyone just sweats and theres no new friends or trash talking.

I got to agree with the game chat guy. Like the customs games browser there are 100s of people playing but it is a desolate wasteland when you join a full lobby. Forced game chat should be a thing again, probably harder to implement on PC tho.
Its just wierd now, again the customs games browser is the perfect example, there is no fun or good laughs to be had with these party modes when no ones partying

The biggest problem is that nobody is taking the time to listen to each other. People arrogantly dismiss opposing views and belittle things they dont like. You see this on both sides of the Halo fandom. People point out the bungie purists a lot but its just as bad with the modern style stans.
If people offer and listen to genuine constructive criticism and stop insulting and making sweeping generalizations, this community would be a much more tolerable place.

> 2533274848663644;16:
> I got to agree with the game chat guy. Like the customs games browser there are 100s of people playing but it is a desolate wasteland when you join a full lobby. Forced game chat should be a thing again, probably harder to implement on PC tho.
> Its just wierd now, again the customs games browser is the perfect example, there is no fun or good laughs to be had with these party modes when no ones partying

Couldnt agree more. Forced game chat is not the way to go, but I also dont see how we would be able to entice everyone to use it again.

We keep getting -Yoink- games. Hopefully that trend changes with Infinite.

> 2535435793645693;17:
> The biggest problem is that nobody is taking the time to listen to each other. People arrogantly dismiss opposing views and belittle things they dont like. You see this on both sides of the Halo fandom. People point out the bungie purists a lot but its just as bad with the modern style stans.
> If people offer and listen to genuine constructive criticism and stop insulting and making sweeping generalizations, this community would be a much more tolerable place.

The problem is 343 meeting in the middle to appease both sides of the fandom. I for one do not like sprint, but now they added it, and it looks incredibly slow its going to piss off the sprint supporters.