What would make it feel like Halo?

Ok - I see so many threads complaining it feels more like COD than Halo, I’d like to see some suggestions on how to make it feel more like Halo.
And let’s leave sprint out of it for now - everyone knows the community is divided on sprint, so I want to see how close to Halo we can get without moving sprint.
My number 1 issue: longer kill times. Although the game still feels like Halo to me, I remember old Halo battles were more drawn out, right now the game seems to favor sniping/camping more than it should.

And no 343 hate - it’s not constructive or helpful to anyone.

no kill cam (I’m open for a final kill cam tho)
no smart scope
no clambering
AR is too powerful- feels like who ever shoots first wins. (Usually)
Traditional sounding shields and recharge

I think kill times are fine. It might feel like kill times are short but this could be fixed if the pistol, smg, and AR all were nerfed.

I havent tried br starts yet so I’m not sure how that plays. But the assault rifle should not beat the battle rifle in medium range gunfight.

Kill times are fine. It is not a valid argument to say that this game doesn’t feel like Halo because the kill times are too short, because they’re longer than the Halo CE kill times.

Hell, if Halo CE released today, people would probably whine that it doesn’t “feel like Halo”.

Halo 5 feels a lot more like Halo than Halo 4 ever did. The things that made Halo 4 not feel like Halo were loadouts, ordinance, and no weapons on map. That’s all gone - we’re back to Halo.

sigh The fact that Halo 2 and Halo 3 were essentially the same game is turning out to be a horrible thing for this community; people think that anything that isn’t Halo 2/3 isn’t “Halo”.

> 2592250499807011;3:
> Kill times are fine. It is not a valid argument to say that this game doesn’t feel like Halo because the kill times are too short, because they’re longer than the Halo CE kill times.
>
> Hell, if Halo CE released today, people would probably whine that it doesn’t “feel like Halo”.
>
> Halo 5 feels a lot more like Halo than Halo 4 ever did. The things that made Halo 4 not feel like Halo were loadouts, ordinance, and no weapons on map. That’s all gone - we’re back to Halo.
>
> sigh The fact that Halo 2 and Halo 3 were essentially the same game is turning out to be a horrible thing for this community; people think that anything that isn’t Halo 2/3 isn’t “Halo”.

Halo 2/3 was the same game made and that was bad for the community…? Halo 2 and 3 had the population that lasted the longest, though Halo 2 was pretty much the only game in the original Xbox that was worth playing, as in it literally didn’t have any competition. But Halo 3 despite being released the same year as Call of Duty 4, was always in and out of the most played Xbox live game each month, with only Halo 3 and CoD 4 in the top 2 positions.

Then when Reach was released, it was only a top 5 game. With 2 CoD titles in top 5. And when Halo 4 came out, was in the top 10 most played game.

And the SAME MINORITIES that were complaining about Halo 4 loadouts, ordinances, and that sneaky bullet magnetism and all that jazz, predicted correctly that the game would not last. How did they know? Because they played the Halo series the longest and knew what addicting element is in the franchise.

Let’s see if these so called minorities will be right again when Halo 5 releases later this year and it’s population plummet exactly like Halo 4.

Well halo 5 is probably what I would do.

> 2535438713872599;4:
> > 2592250499807011;3:
> > Kill times are fine. It is not a valid argument to say that this game doesn’t feel like Halo because the kill times are too short, because they’re longer than the Halo CE kill times.
> >
> > Hell, if Halo CE released today, people would probably whine that it doesn’t “feel like Halo”.
> >
> > Halo 5 feels a lot more like Halo than Halo 4 ever did. The things that made Halo 4 not feel like Halo were loadouts, ordinance, and no weapons on map. That’s all gone - we’re back to Halo.
> >
> > sigh The fact that Halo 2 and Halo 3 were essentially the same game is turning out to be a horrible thing for this community; people think that anything that isn’t Halo 2/3 isn’t “Halo”.
>
>
> Halo 2/3 was the same game made and that was bad for the community…? Halo 2 and 3 had the population that lasted the longest, though Halo 2 was pretty much the only game in the original Xbox that was worth playing, as in it literally didn’t have any competition. But Halo 3 despite being released the same year as Call of Duty 4, was always in and out of the most played Xbox live game each month, with only Halo 3 and CoD 4 in the top 2 positions.
>
> Then when Reach was released, it was only a top 5 game. With 2 CoD titles in top 5. And when Halo 4 came out, was in the top 10 most played game.
>
> And the SAME MINORITIES that were complaining about Halo 4 loadouts, ordinances, and that sneaky bullet magnetism and all that jazz, predicted correctly that the game would not last. How did they know? Because they played the Halo series the longest and knew what addicting element in the franchise.
>
> Let’s see if these so called minorities will be right again when Halo 5 releases later this year and it’s population plummet exactly like Halo 4.

Those minorities have been saying every halo game will not last. Remember halo 2 sucks.com? Now they were right about one game that released in the call of duty era, and that minority thinks itself to be an all knowing god.

if we are leaving sprint out if the discussion, then we can still talk about other mobility issues that make the game no longer feel like Halo. Thrusters need to go. Ground pound needs to go. Clamber needs to go. Match intros/outros need to go. Shield recharge sounds need to go back to a low tone.

It really is a case of “less is more”. All of this fluff that’s been added detracts from the feel of Halo

Ok clarification: maybe not the killtimes, but the AR/SMG definitely needs to be looked at - there’s something that feels slightly off… Also - I think H5 feels like a Halo game, that is the one thing that is slightly less-Halo to me.

> 2533274857398125;6:
> > 2535438713872599;4:
> > > 2592250499807011;3:
> > > Kill times are fine. It is not a valid argument to say that this game doesn’t feel like Halo because the kill times are too short, because they’re longer than the Halo CE kill times.
> > >
> > > Hell, if Halo CE released today, people would probably whine that it doesn’t “feel like Halo”.
> > >
> > > Halo 5 feels a lot more like Halo than Halo 4 ever did. The things that made Halo 4 not feel like Halo were loadouts, ordinance, and no weapons on map. That’s all gone - we’re back to Halo.
> > >
> > > sigh The fact that Halo 2 and Halo 3 were essentially the same game is turning out to be a horrible thing for this community; people think that anything that isn’t Halo 2/3 isn’t “Halo”.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Halo 2/3 was the same game made and that was bad for the community…? Halo 2 and 3 had the population that lasted the longest, though Halo 2 was pretty much the only game in the original Xbox that was worth playing, as in it literally didn’t have any competition. But Halo 3 despite being released the same year as Call of Duty 4, was always in and out of the most played Xbox live game each month, with only Halo 3 and CoD 4 in the top 2 positions.
> >
> > Then when Reach was released, it was only a top 5 game. With 2 CoD titles in top 5. And when Halo 4 came out, was in the top 10 most played game.
> >
> > And the SAME MINORITIES that were complaining about Halo 4 loadouts, ordinances, and that sneaky bullet magnetism and all that jazz, predicted correctly that the game would not last. How did they know? Because they played the Halo series the longest and knew what addicting element in the franchise.
> >
> > Let’s see if these so called minorities will be right again when Halo 5 releases later this year and it’s population plummet exactly like Halo 4.
>
>
>
>
> Those minorities have been saying every halo game will not last. Remember halo 2 sucks.com? Now they were right about one game that released in the call of duty era, and that minority thinks itself to be an all knowing god.

This. People have been crying about change in Halo every time it happens. Good change makes people QQ. Bad change makes people QQ. You have to look at the substance of the QQ, not the existence of it.

And people QQing about kill times in Halo 5 don’t know what they’re talking about. Go play Halo CE… kill times are like twice as fast as Halo 5 and you can do it across the map.

AR/SMG need a small nerf to their accuracy/effective range when zoomed in; that’s it. The problem has nothing to do with kill times.

Halo Ce had fast killtimes. Not CoD levels, but still pretty quick. However what’s important to note here is the difference between theoretical and average killtimes. You aren’t going to be hitting theoretical killtimes very often, not only because of missed shots but also because of pacing your aim to make sure you actually land your shots. To get an exact 0.6s killtime is uncommon, you would have to hit all three shots in rapid succession. You’re probably only going to do that if the guy is running straight at you from a mediumish distance. The AR could hit its maximum killtime more often, but its killtime was roughly a second instead of the 0.2s you’d see in most military shooters. What defines Halo is that there are moderate killtimes in practice, while in a game like CoD, regardless of how good you are, you’re going to drop someone the instant you shoot them.

But enough about Ce.

Aiming down the sights shouldn’t be necessary or encouraged. I’ve seen a lot of videos where people are aiming down the sights with the SMG even at pretty close ranges.

The Battle Rifle doesn’t need a holo-sight. The DMR should be normal scope view, as should the Sniper. The current Halo 5 Pistol better be a new variant with iron sights, and not a retcon of an old variant.

The art style needs to go back to the way it was. No more skull-bandana “marines”, and for -Yoinks!- sake get rid of that ugly rocket launcher.

Clamber and ground pound both remove crouch jumping as a tactic.

Anyways my problem isn’t so much that it feels like CoD, but that it doesn’t feel like Halo. There’s much more to discuss but above is just focused on making it less like CoD.

It already feels like Halo IMO. Everything just works in the direction of feeling like Halo.

Halo CE is almost 15 years old though, I was playing that when I was still at school. I don’t remember it being twice as fast at all - perhaps I have forgotten? Who knows - all I know is what feels like Halo to me.

“What Would Make it Feel Like Halo?”

My quickest answer would be to make it less like CoD, but I realize that answer doesn’t sit well with the community.

So, I’ll elaborate then.

If you REALLY dig deep into Halo 5’s multiplayer gameplay, the differences between it and CoD gameplay are far and few between. Equal starts, power weapons on map, high kill times, etc…

Those 3 things are, in essence, the only fundamental differences between Halo 5 gameplay and CoD gameplay right now. When you’ve actually seen the two being played on a regular basis, it is frightening how similar they actually are. Halo has kill cams, infinite sprint, aim down sights, thrusters, and objective callouts now… Halo 5 even has the same FOV that CoD: AW does. I apologize if I am conditioned to expect more differences between the two.

I actually own CoD: AW for PS4, and would never let Halo share this much in common with another shooter.

Maybe the problem is that 343 hasn’t played CoD…

It already does.

Looks like halo to me.
< player since CE

I dislike sprint. It could just be because of the maps built for sprint or maybe it is just 343i not knowing how to build a halo map while incorporating sprint. Either way I’m torn as I like the new movement in halo 5 to the point of saying stone town in halo 2a could use sprint. Which leaves me to believe to main reason I dislike sprint in halo 4 and 5 is due to the poor map design and implementation of sprint. Even classic maps like lockout or the pit could have sprint.

The maps built in halo 5 thus far are lazy, oversized and boring to play on. Take a look at some classic maps like (the pit, beaver creek, narrows) they are built of the foundation of been symmetrical and weapon placement mirrors the opposite side of the map. This gives both teams their starting arsenal while the terrain separating both starting points has key weapons which will take both teams the same amount of time to reach causing that weapon to be contested (may the best team win it basically).

Halo 5 maps thus far may have slight symmetry but luck the build of what your team gets from the start, to what they need to fight to receive. The pit you are given a safe pick up power weapon (sniper) and the rockets and sword are contested. Halo 5 all power weapons are in contested territory and the hydra is not a power weapon if it lacks the ability to kill in one shot it is not a power weapon. Stone town is an offence defence map but the formula remains the same, red team gets rockets, blue team sniper of spawn while the rest of the map arsenal is contested over.

If halo 5 is to appeal and have great use of new game mechanics then 343i need to fix their shameful maps. You don’t need to be able to clamber on ever darn thing on the map, weapons need to be on the map unmarked and strategically placed and if sprint is to be in halo it doesn’t need to be like all other fps games in which you move ridiculously fast. Base movement at 120% and sprint adds 5%. That will reduce map size and the cat and mouse awfulness plaguing halo will also be less prevalent. Nothing more frustrating then firing on someone who backs away using sprint and gets killed by someone else, ran and out number you as they find teammate or just plan run off and clamber over the 500 obsticals on the map.

343i need to just make maps that flow well. The winning formula with halo is built through the maps not the weapons or gimmicks added. Have some places where clamber is useful like how crouch jumping is useful in lockout. I’m sure I’ll enjoy his game if maps get built correctly but for now halo 5 is going into the pick up cheap second hand to continue chiefs story. I’ll rather play cool maps wishing for new movement features then playing a new game with them only to have the map over catered for them.

its a updated version of halo which i welcome. i dont get why so many people just want one of the previous halos to be the one and only halo forever. embrace change

My old armor, I miss them all.

All Halo Games feels like Halo, H5 too!

No sprint. Thats it.