What will help Halo win the crown COD stole

I just want to see what people think will help bring Halo back to it’s former glory.

For newer fans, Halo 3 was where the legacy ended. Each iteration after that failed to produce the equivalent game play that once was.

To start things off, armor abilities were a huge step in the wrong direction. Bungie started it, 343 stuck with it. Both iterations failed to capture the entire audience. Armor abilities help players stray away from the core shooting mechanics. Players who deserve a kill may not get the kill and vice versa. If anything, armor abilities should be a pick-up quite like rockets or other power weapons.

Lack of skill-based ranking was also lame. I personally believe experience-based ranking ruins the ranking system of any game. It makes winning, teamwork, and skill seem less important than it is. One day we will all be 10x Prestige our rank really means nothing.

When you manage to get lucky (as a developer) and create an iconic weapon like the BR…it is safe to say that removal of this weapon should be grounds for all people who made this executive decision to be fired. You have a weapon here that will be remembered in the history of gaming. The DMR will never be remembered. Nor will the assault rifle. Make the BR the same weapon it used to be. In the right hands…it was an all-purpose weapon. You could play the entire match without another weapon.

Having less customization but more unique options is better than having a whole bunch and bland options. Just sayin’.

All maps should be created to appeal to a 4v4 audience. Any other enhancements or changes should be done after to accommodate for more players.

In the end, I’d like to leave a final note to 343. As a long time Halo fan, I came here because I am happy you guys decided to delay the game to create the ultimate experience. I want you guys to go back and look at the history of Socom. Look what happened as more gamers started entering online gameplay and wanting every feature another game has. You already alienated your old fan base (but Bungie started with that) and listening to your new fan base does not improve sales.

The core was Halo 2 and Halo 3. Halo 1 was great too but we do not care for the pistol any longer. The DMR is an insult to an iconic weapon. Gameplay that parallels what was popular with MLG clan battles in Halo 2 and 3 will make this game rise above all others.

Halo’s objective shouldn’t be to win back the fabled crown that it once wore, it should be to exist as a terrific game that is as long-lasting as it is enjoyable.

By struggling to reconquer the throne that it once sat, it became a shadow of what it once was.

I don’t halo will ever be on top again, that ship has sailed, the FPS market has evolved and has lots of competition. COD has a winning formula. Destiny looks interesting and is cross platform. H5 can be a great game and I hope it will be but having it dominate the FPS market like it used to is unrealistic IMHO.

Notice how many self-proclaimed “Halo killers” were made, and how none of them even came close. Ultimately, Call of Duty took the crown as part of a general trend of entertainment media towards a gritter, more grounded aesthetic. Infinity Ward didn’t try and ape Halo; instead, they made the game they wanted to, and happened to be in the right place at the right time. Since then, plenty of companies have tried to create “CoD killers”, and they’ve all failed just as hard.

The lesson here is that you can’t deliberately engineer a phenomenon. Trends are spontaneous, nobody manufactures them. All 343 can do is make a great game; the rest is out of their hands.

Halo is never going to be number one again. Quit fooling yourself OP. CoD is already in decline. Once it has lost its place, CoD too can never get it back. Something new (if done right) will always become more popular than what is already out.

I think the “Call of Duty” nonsense should stay out of objective statements.

Kind of entices console-war behaviors.

CoD didn’t steal anything. It earned it. Stop acting like its some sort of Anti-flag. CoD’s actually a pretty good game.

Call of Duty didn’t steal anything. It bought the underage audience with mass marketing and swept them by storm with easy-access gameplay and instant gratification. If you make the casuals feel great, they’ll swallow whatever drips out of you and beg for more. If anything, Halo killed itself after the saturation of the gameplay with Reach, Bungie’s departure, and 343’s failure of knowing how to make a game they would want to play.

The best answer: You don’t do jack squat about it.

CoD is a multi-milliom selling franchise that sells millions every YEAR. It didnt kill Halo, but instead brought a new kind of FPS to the market and advertised the hell out of it, and follow it up with yearly releases.

CoD’s a modern shooter. Halo is an arena shooter. If people favor one game over another, so be it. So long as Halo stays Halo and not conform to it like Halo 4 tried to do, Halo will be fine.

A top notch first person shooter isn’t what we want. We want a top notch Halo game. Let CoD screw themselves over by oversaturating itself.

Only CoD can kill CoD, and only Halo can kill Halo. Ex: Halo 4’s unreasonable changes in core gameplay and design.

> The best answer: You don’t do jack squat about it.
>
>
> CoD is a multi-milliom selling franchise that sells millions every YEAR. It didnt kill Halo, but instead brought a new kind of FPS to the market and advertised the hell out of it, and follow it up with yearly releases.
>
>
> CoD’s a modern shooter. Halo is an arena shooter. If people favor one game over another, so be it. So long as Halo stays Halo and not conform to it like Halo 4 tried to do, Halo will be fine.
>
>
> A top notch first person shooter isn’t what we want. We want a top notch Halo game. Let CoD screw themselves over by oversaturating itself.
>
>
> Only CoD can kill CoD, and only Halo can kill Halo. Ex: Halo 4’s unreasonable changes in core gameplay and design.

Bravo to you and to the OP! What I liked about the OP was he mentioned Socom and hit the nail on the head. No one wants what happened to Socom to happen to Halo, that would be the worst thing possible. And as for retaking the crown you said it perfectly, it will not happen but it doesn’t need to happen. Halo needs to go back to its roots and Halo will be fine. I hope 343 knows this and applies it to H5.

take great features that CAN work in halo (in-game leaderboard, new items, spectator mode etc) and turn it into something never seen before

improve and expand

contain a wide variety of experiences

halo is 1 part arena shooter ans 1 part sandbox game, work around that

add other features which allow players to form new communities and play it in new exciting ways that more or less is what the community constructs.

it is the community that makes halo great, more features which allow for more forms of community involvement, is what is needed, as it has only regressed.

no gimmicks, not just great features the community expects, but also great features that we didn’t see coming or think of.

> Halo’s objective shouldn’t be to win back the fabled crown that it once wore, it should be to exist as a terrific game that is as long-lasting as it is enjoyable.
>
> By struggling to reconquer the throne that it once sat, it became a shadow of what it once was.

This.

And your attitude towards individual weapons is so loltastic I cannot even tell you.

AR…never remembered…when it was the second best non-power weapon in the original Halo game AND is the iconic weapon of the main character of the franchise…

SMH!

If it becomes competitive again, then it will see an extreme population increase

It won’t ever be top again. Even if it’s exactly what everyone wants to the T. (which is impossible in itself.) The market has changed. Arena’s are not as popular. Simplistic core competitive gameplay isn’t the major demand. Even COD is going down now.

We could argue what “killed” halo all day. But it won’t accomplish anything. What halo should do is stick to what it was good at while adding new things in (lik reach and 4 did. But that’s my opinion.) Halo shouldn’t try to be #1 again. Halo should try to create an experience we all can enjoy.

I think regardless of what happens to the MP the games will sell enough till the series end simply because the word halo carries weight. And halo has more to it then competitive MP.

My ideology with this subject is, as long as Halo sells well and has a lot of community interaction, then it doesn’t need to stand on a big podium.

I think the biggest problem is, is that with Halo having such a strong core to it’s gameplay, that there isn’t much the developers can do to improve the game without us loyal fans being like ‘WTF is this?’ The reason Halo 2/Halo 3 succeeded was because they kept the same formula, but just added new weapons that were balanced and made sense. Trying to replicate CoD was a huge mistake simply because CoD’s mechanics/the way the games played are completely different than that of Halo’s.

I just hope with Halo 5 they find a way to rekindle that Halo fire without adding a bunch of new gameplay features that are completely useless.

To be #1 would be insane for Halo to pull of considering COD is multi platform. But for Halo to compete with COD, Halo cannot BE COD. Halo has to be it’s own unique game. That means no weapon drops, no perk system and loadouts. It was never COD and doesn’t need to be COD now.

To be honest, the mainstream halo can’t be number one(IE: Halo 5: Guardians), unless CoD just flops hardcore.

However, a spinoff that could take place in the Halo universe during the covenant-human war would probably be a pretty cool concept. IMO, I’d love to play from an ODST or Marine’s PoV of the war, and how they had to do more to kill an Elite without getting shot.

Kinda like ODST, but much more fleshed out. I think it has potential.

That, to me, is probably the only way a Halo title will be number one on the Xbox Live charts. People are just generally more interested in the modern shooter FPS than the arena shooter. If you want a Halo title to be number one, that’s all I can see that would make sense, without screwing with the main series games.

Halo arena shooters won’t be number one, but will still be awesome to play. But, to be number one, take the Modern FPS into a seperate series of Halo games, with some of its own gameplay elements that would stand out from the others, and you may have something going on there.

While I am partial to the BR. Please do not even try to tell me the AR is an iconic weapon. The BR is equivalent to the Gnasher to Gears of War. The AR has nothing on the Lancer. Halo did a great job with weapons as each one had a role. But in an attempt to create variety, they diminished this. Multiple types of shotguns, pistols, etc.

Now I don’t see a lot of faith here in the Halo series which is highly disturbing. It is almost as if you guys would be content with a mediocre game to continue to storyline and move on to a new game within weeks.

Halo transformed from a competitive shooter to a casual shooter. Halo has never run its course. The core gameplay has been continually changing so I’m not sure how one can make statements like this.

Please do not put words in my mouth such as I do not like the COD series. I have played each one and over time, the experience has barely changed. This is a core reason why it is still running and sinking at the same time.

To the user who stated that Halo needs to be its own unique game. This point should be reiterated by every Halo fan.

It’s a popularity contest. I think 343 knows they NEED to go back to the roots. Halo ce, 2, and 3 were the king of fps games. The majority of Halo fans disliked Reach and 4… I blame the community for bashing Reach and 4 because they weren’t bad games, they were just bad Halo games…
Halo MCC will surely bring back alot of the population.
I think the another reason is the lack of replay value in Reach and 4… COD had a new game out every year! But the lack of a good matchmaking/ranking system in reach and 4 made it stale after a couple moths for lots of gamers.

So 3 main points.
good ranking/matchmaking system for competitiveness and replay value.
good classic and simplistic arena style gameplay. (Halo was great for this, I say leave the wall jumping, jetpacks, and other -Yoink- to COD and Titanfall)
good community… don’t bash Halo 5 just because it’s different from previous Halo games.