What will happen with Halo after Infinite?

As we know, Infinite is going to be the mainline Halo game for the next 10 years. I’m wondering how things are going to work after this. Do you think Infinite will be the last Halo game ever? The last game with Chief? I know anything is pure speculation right now until we actually find out what 343 is going to do, but it’s still up for discussion in my opinion. Will there be a Halo 7? I’m just not sure how the games will work after this, especially with it being supported for a 10 year period until the time comes that we may get a new Halo title.

I think the reason for the 10 year plan with Infinite is to make Halo more of a universe like Star Wars or Marvel. The potential profit margins from expanding to something of that caliber is too alluring to ignore. I don’t think it’s the only reason, but one of them. I expect Infinite will act as the launch platform for main Chief-centric entries into the story - like the Avengers moments of the MCU.

Meanwhile, having one decade long game to focus on Chief frees them up to tell other stories with other characters in side games. It actually seems pretty smart when you think about it. People hated Osiris for syphoning attention off of Chief/Blue team and, even though he’s loved now, people gave Arbiter a less-than-warm welcome when 2 launched as well. In comparison though, the campaigns for ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars were all fairly well received.

I think a large part of the difference in new character community reception stems from expectations. If fans are expecting a Chief game and then get tossed a curve ball protagonist (Locke/Arbiter), it throws them off. However, when they know from the get-go they’ll be playing as someone new (Reach/ODST/Wars), it’s easier for them to accept and enjoy.

If I realized this then I’m sure 343 have too and it wouldn’t surprise me if over the next decade we got a few spin-off games while Chief does his thing in Infinite. They could even use these side games to introduce new characters that, after we got to know them, could be wrapped into future Infinite campaign DLC, effectively flushing out and making a more complex Halo universe.

So do I see Halo 7 coming any time soon? No. But I also don’t think Infinite is the last Halo game we get for 10 years.

> 2670661386182421;2:
> I think the reason for the 10 year plan with Infinite is to make Halo more of a universe like Star Wars or Marvel. The potential profit margins from expanding to something of that caliber is too alluring to ignore. I don’t think it’s the only reason, but one of them. I expect Infinite will act as the launch platform for main Chief-centric entries into the story - like the Avengers moments of the MCU.
>
> Meanwhile, having one decade long game to focus on Chief frees them up to tell other stories with other characters in side games. It actually seems pretty smart when you think about it. People hated Osiris for syphoning attention off of Chief/Blue team and, even though he’s loved now, people gave Arbiter a less-than-warm welcome when 2 launched as well. In comparison though, the campaigns for ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars were all fairly well received.
>
> I think a large part of the difference in new character community reception stems from expectations. If fans are expecting a Chief game and then get tossed a curve ball protagonist (Locke/Arbiter), it throws them off. However, when they know from the get-go they’ll be playing as someone new (Reach/ODST/Wars), it’s easier for them to accept and enjoy.
>
> If I realized this then I’m sure 343 have too and it wouldn’t surprise me if over the next decade we got a few spin-off games while Chief does his thing in Infinite. They could even use these side games to introduce new characters that, after we got to know them, could be wrapped into future Infinite campaign DLC, effectively flushing out and making a more complex Halo universe.
>
> So do I see Halo 7 coming any time soon? No. But I also don’t think Infinite is the last Halo game we get for 10 years.

I agree with you on pretty much every single point here. To be completely honest, one spin off game I would love to see is one that follows Noble 6 before Noble team or even Noble team (with Thom as Noble 6 before his death) before the events of Halo: Reach.

I think we are looking at a Ghost Recon: Breakpoint style Halo game. Huge traversible map that changes over time with new threats and new enemies. Multiple “campaigns” and mutiple side missions. Online and couch co-op accessible too. I think we need to be prepared to see Halo finally reach its conclusion in either 10 years, or the next mainline game being all that is left. Theoretically, you could continue the story (like reintroducing the primordials and making us fight them.) But I think Halo is ready to conclude in 10 years or 15 at most. I am pretty sure Halo: Infinite will be the only mainline game on the Xbox Series X. And will eventually lose support on Xbox One in 2 to 3 years from now. 5 years max.

Xbox Series X will have a 7 to 10 year lifespan according to Phil Spencer. Halo will last 10 years.

I can maybe argue for 2 or 3 side games. But we are most likely looking at the end sooner than we realize. I doubt we will see Halo on Next Gen (2030s Xbox) other than with back compatibility.

Side Note:
I did say last year that once Series X launches, Xbox 360 Servers will begin shutting down (This time we are starting on Halo Servers rather than closing them last.) This implies that Xbox One Servers have a life span of about 11 more years (max) before they shut down.

> 2670661386182421;2:
> I think the reason for the 10 year plan with Infinite is to make Halo more of a universe like Star Wars or Marvel. The potential profit margins from expanding to something of that caliber is too alluring to ignore. I don’t think it’s the only reason, but one of them. I expect Infinite will act as the launch platform for main Chief-centric entries into the story - like the Avengers moments of the MCU.
>
> Meanwhile, having one decade long game to focus on Chief frees them up to tell other stories with other characters in side games. It actually seems pretty smart when you think about it. People hated Osiris for syphoning attention off of Chief/Blue team and, even though he’s loved now, people gave Arbiter a less-than-warm welcome when 2 launched as well. In comparison though, the campaigns for ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars were all fairly well received.
>
> I think a large part of the difference in new character community reception stems from expectations. If fans are expecting a Chief game and then get tossed a curve ball protagonist (Locke/Arbiter), it throws them off. However, when they know from the get-go they’ll be playing as someone new (Reach/ODST/Wars), it’s easier for them to accept and enjoy.
>
> If I realized this then I’m sure 343 have too and it wouldn’t surprise me if over the next decade we got a few spin-off games while Chief does his thing in Infinite. They could even use these side games to introduce new characters that, after we got to know them, could be wrapped into future Infinite campaign DLC, effectively flushing out and making a more complex Halo universe.
>
> So do I see Halo 7 coming any time soon? No. But I also don’t think Infinite is the last Halo game we get for 10 years.

I think this all sounds very accurate to me, I anticipate that Chief based/main story campaigns will alternate with “anthology stories” like ODST and Reach. I think the only thing you might be wrong about is that I don’t think that Infinite will just continue as a live service for those 10 years, with other games releasing separately. I imagine the following content:

1: Lots of cosmetics and other BS available from day 1

2: Pretty early (maybe christmas,) a weapons pack or something, including legacy weapons.

3: Sometime in 2022: An anthology campaign. It would be added to Infinite just like games have been added to the MCC. So you’ll open Infinite, then instead of the “Zeta Halo Campaign” or something, you’ll pick the “Harvest Campaign” or whatever the first anthology campaign is about.
4: Sometime in 2023: Another chief campaign. Continuing the story from the first main campaign (which likely won’t have developed much over the first campaign, I’m expecting a minimal plot a la Halo CE.)

Then, if they can swing the development, I could imagine us getting a new campaign every year till 2031. The master chief campaigns would continue to develop the story forwards, while the campaigns in-between would likely be one off stories like ODST and Reach.

Just my two cents!

So Halo Infinite will have a principal campaign with chief and probably futur campaign with other spartans. But do you think we could have a suplementary campaign with the chief that extends the main story ?

I would love a campaign where the flood is released on the Halo and the survivors will have to stop them

Honestly I just want a lot of optional story campaigns, maybe like 5 mission long halo stories or longer. I also hope they add lots of iterations of the multiplayer because they did say they look at MCC as a model, but I mostly just hope for a well supported game with extra paid DLC, not just cosmetic microtransactions. Now is the perfect time for them to explore other stories from the Human/Covenant war. I also hope with all my hope for an Arbiter DLC in a few years that will also usher in playable elites and invasion. I am excited to know that they won’t release another because that means if something needs to be in Halo down the road, it will come to Halo Infinite.

Infinite isnt out yet and you’re already expecting a constructive discussion on the theoretical game after Infinite? Chill.

> 2533274816803169;8:
> Infinite isnt out yet and you’re already expecting a constructive discussion on the theoretical game after Infinite? Chill.

Haha, that’s just gonna come with the territory of forum consisting of excited fans. Nothings serious is at stake so whats the harm in a little long term speculation being entertained.

I also think predicting the landscape of anything 10 years out is unlikely to ever be very accurate in the digital age but I think there can be some constructive analysis found here and there.

What will happen with Halo after Infinite???..More Halo!!!

We will most likely see 343 Industries start planning to do the Halo spin off video games especially after the upcoming Halo Infinite coming out on Xbox Series X, Xbox One and PC. At the same time, I still think that 343 Industries will do the 10 years plan for Halo Infinite in a similar way like how Kevin Feige did with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They can have their own Phase One, Phase Two and Phase Three in the Halo video games especially if they are building up to a final chapter where we could see Jerome-092 teaming up with Master Chief and Arbiter to fight Atriox.

> 2533274841519598;9:
> > 2533274816803169;8:
> > Infinite isnt out yet and you’re already expecting a constructive discussion on the theoretical game after Infinite? Chill.
>
> Haha, that’s just gonna come with the territory of forum consisting of excited fans. Nothings serious is at stake so whats the harm in a little long term speculation being entertained.
>
> I also think predicting the landscape of anything 10 years out is unlikely to ever be very accurate in the digital age but I think there can be some constructive analysis found here and there.

I just personally feel like it’s an unhealthy way to look at upcoming videogames. If OP wants to speculate about spinoff games that are released within Infinite’s supposed lifespan I’m all for it. I can talk about Halo culture all day.

I just don’t speculate on the next mainline Halo game because it seems to me like an unhealthy way to play videogames.

How can you enjoy the now if all you ever do is set yourself up for the next, and vice versa

I’m not sure what their plans are for Infinite or post Infinite but I’m damn sure Infinite won’t be the last game. Halo is one of xbox’s biggest franchises and has the potential for insane profits. I think as long as xbox is on the market, Halo will exist.

I hate the phrase “!0 year plan” Because Bungie said those exact words with destiny. And those games lacked so much content till about 2 years after launch.
So i’m cautiously nervous at best.

> 2533274811807878;14:
> I hate the phrase “!0 year plan” Because Bungie said those exact words with destiny. And those games lacked so much content till about 2 years after launch.
> So i’m cautiously nervous at best.

Another thing about that is that Destiny isn’t even fun anymore considering that you literally have to spend 60 dollars to get almost any content. I just hope Halo doesn’t go that route, and instead just keeps its old content while consistently adding some new things to keep the game fresh.

> 2533274816803169;8:
> Infinite isnt out yet and you’re already expecting a constructive discussion on the theoretical game after Infinite? Chill.

That’s not even what I meant by this post. I really just meant what can we expect to happen after Infinite, since it’s going to be out for 10 years. I didn’t mean a full on discussion about the game itself.

If they were smart, they’d do spin offs like ODST, Halo Wars, and the Spartan Assault games. Just make cool stories in different game genres and new FPS games about interesting parts of the Halo Universe.

I’d really like to see something like Gears Tactics but in the Halo lore.

The question is, where is Halo wars 3. I’m not sure Halo Infinite will end the Atriox / Ark / Spirit Fire storie

> 2533274811807878;14:
> I hate the phrase “!0 year plan” Because Bungie said those exact words with destiny. And those games lacked so much content till about 2 years after launch.
> So i’m cautiously nervous at best.

Yea I am more cautiously optimistic but the caution is a huge part of it especially because of that little phrase “10 year plan”. I mean its an ambitious goal and I would be ecstatic if it is pulled off well, but recent history is not an indication of such success.

> 2535436152010337;18:
> The question is, where is Halo wars 3. I’m not sure Halo Infinite will end the Atriox / Ark / Spirit Fire storie

Based on previous releases, it might be a year or two into Halo Infinite’s life cycle. Halo Wars- 2009 and Halo Wars 2 released 2017. Assuming they keep the releases fairly consistent in their distance between games for the halo wars series, we could probably expect a HW3 sometime in the 2023-2024-2025 range.