What Will Become of The Req System

So anyone who has played Halo 5 Guardians, knows that there are the arena, and warzone reqs. So I Personally like the req system, but from some critics i have heard over the years since halo 5 think 343i should trash it. Now im not calling out any franchises spicifically but there have been some really bad executions for req systems in other games. i felt halo has the best one so far. If 343 does trash the reqs, what of all those diffrent classess of the wepons, and how will Warzone even function if it will continue at all?? What are your guys opinions i know theres a lot of controversy over the subject and i dident cover alot. what do you guys say?

<mark>mod edit: moved to General Discussion</mark>

The REQ system needs an overhaul should it return. Unlocking in-game armor, weapons, vehicles, and customizables should be a fun and incentive experience, not one where you mindlessly grind out “X” amount of credits and pray to RNGesus that you’ll get what you want from a huge item pool.

For micro transitions, the REQ system really isn’t that bad. Yes if you have tons of REQ’s, WZ, WZFF a lot easier to play, but you can still play with out them. I would like to be able to get certain packs, ie Vehicle, Armor, XP/RP Boosts, Weapon, Platinum. With the special packs in the rotation. The RNG system can be frustrating, you know when you want the H2BR, and it takes you to level 130 before it finally shows up. But over all I’m OK with the REQ system.

If it is going to stay it should just be for weapons and vehicles. The armor and everything else should be earned or bought like in Reach.

I just don’t like the random aspect of it. It can be fun to see what you get in a random pack, like gambling, but it’s so much more rewarding sensical to use a system where you know what you need to get what you want and you can just focus on that then move on to the next thing.

For WZ I’m not sure how to balance purchasing weapons/vehicles/power ups well. If you lay everything out in the open people can just buy whatever they want and spam it in game. Maybe keep the randomness for WZ packs but separate packs by category. For example: air vehicle pack, ground vehicle pack, low, mid, high tier weapon, power ups. I don’t know, WZ sounds super fun on paper but it’s clearly a mess to balance.

343 have said that there will be no paid lootboxes in Infinite. However, there was a job position that mentioned micro-transactions. To me this implies that you will be able to buy cosmetics with real money just without the element of RNG. There’s no way you could flat out buy a gun with real money and no RNG because that would be so blatantly pay to win the game would be murdered. I’d like to think that 343i wouldn’t do that.

So, how I think the REQ system could work:
1: At the end of every match you get REQ points
2: Every time you level up you unlock certain weapons, vehicles and cosmetics
3: Use your REQ points to buy weapons, vehicles, or cosmetics that you’ve unlocked
4: REQ weapons and vehicles will now be on cooldowns so you don’t have to worry about replenishing single-use cards.
5: All loadout weapons (AR, magnum, BR, DMR, and SMG) will be available from the start. Attachments similar to the current system will be instantly available when unlocked and paid for through the leveling system (Warzone only, Arena will obviously still have even starts).
6: Cosmetics will be available to buy with REQ points when unlocked or through real money at any level. Give unique non-purchasable cosmetics for achievements such as beating legendary campaign.

As long as they don’t make REQ point payouts too low and level XP too high I think this is a very fair system that balances no pay-to-win or RNG with micros for free DLC and HCS funding.

One thing I’m seeing take off, which I have a hunch will be in Halo Infinite is Battle passes. Like, from Fortnite and Rocket League.
Im not necessarily saying this is better than Loot boxes, but it is basically a cosmetic subscription which would allow players to know what they are getting (on basis that they grind enough) and also allows for the classic cosmetic system from Reach and 4 to return for less rare items.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see this take over loot boxes in the long term.

I’m sure there will be some kind of microtransaction and REQ system involved, but we can only hope it’s better than the pure dice roll from Halo 5.

It won’t exist in its current form because it’s blatant gambling. Countries around the world are starting to take notice of this type of business and are thankfully making laws against it.

Just bring back the Reach credit system, there is no known downside of it. I hope they do trash reqs along with Warzone. It was a great game mode but, I don’t see how it would work without reqs.

> 2535410704700107;1:
> If 343 does trash the reqs, what of all those diffrent classess of the wepons, and how will Warzone even function if it will continue at all??

Halo didn’t need them. I’m one of those people who thinks Halo Infinite wouldn’t be missing anything if they trashed the req system, along with Warzone and the millions of weapon and vehicle variants. And if you think we’d be missing something by trashing a specific variant, then just make it into its own thing. Miss the Blood of Suban? Then just add a Needle Rifle. No variants necessary.

Now onto my other points: I don’t care as much about how armor is unlocked (though I will just say achievement-based unlocks were fun), but I strongly dislike the idea of weapons and vehicles coming from lootboxes rather than being map pickups. Being able to gain an advantage because you’ve amassed a pile of strong weapons and vehicles and powerups is inherently unfair to newer players. Offering a “new Spartan recruit pack” for $10 or whatever doesn’t change that. And yes Warzone is kind of popular in Halo 5 but I actually think that has more to do with it being the only place with large, open maps and heavy vehicle and weapon play, which Halo 5’s regular BTB has always mostly lacked (at least until Big Team Super Fiesta).

Not to mention, this system of collecting reqs has also led to annoying situations where new players without many reqs join Mythic Warzone Firefight and become dead weight to their team, which will be an unavoidable problem in any sort of difficult cooperative PvE mode involving reqs, short of banning lower-ranked players from playing it.

So anyway, as long as BTB doesn’t get neglected in favor of Warzone again, and the whole game doesn’t get designed around maximizing the likelihood of players purchasing req packs, and 343’s priorities when designing armor and cosmetics don’t get shifted towards quantity over quality, which are all things that I can confidently say were caused by the req system, then I at least wouldn’t mind it being in Halo Infinite because I’d be able to ignore it and play BTB instead of Warzone. But I still don’t think it was something that improved Halo.

> 2533275001522797;10:
> Just bring back the Reach credit system, there is no known downside of it. I hope they do trash reqs along with Warzone. It was a great game mode but, I don’t see how it would work without reqs.

Completely agree. The Reach system is great. You can choose how much you want to work to get a certain piece. It gave you small goals to attain every time you played. If 343 implemented this in H6 they would probably just let you buy pieces as well instead of grinding for them. I would dislike that, but that’s not intrusive or annoying like H5’s ridiculous amount of variants.

I would enjoy the game much more if REQs were scraped and remade, First, I’d cut down on all the reskins. We don’t need dozens of different Warthogs with various camos. If we’re going to have variants, each one needs a valid reason to exist, a role that is not fulfilled by and already existing item. For instance, the Hannibal Tank is distinct from the ordinary Scorpion tank, so it deserves its own slot. However, the crop/urban/woodland camo/ arctic camo (this is ridiculous) versions of all vehicles just bloat the REQ system, slowing down the system as a whole and making it less likely that you’ll get a specific item you want when opening packs. Their “extra armor” isn’t enough to justify their presence in the REQ system. They still have cosmetic value, however. An arctic camo vehicle makes sense for a snow-themed map, so keeping them in forge is reasonable.

And second, I’d take the RNG element out of them. Warzone would be way more enjoyable if we could pick and choose which weapons and vehicles we want. If 343 insists on having microtransactions in the game, they don’t need loot boxes to keep them. Instead, just sell REQ points which players can use to buy weapons, as an alternative to grinding for points in game. This would be balanced out by the fact that REQ usage is throttled in game anyway, so nobody can call in Phaetons within the first two minutes.

Didn’t they confirm that there will be no loot boxes in H:I ?

The REQ System is fine, and it works - it does not exploit anyone and it is fair.

But NOT with customisation.

Weapon skins in REQ packs, I am ok with, but armour customisation in REQ packs, that is NOT ok.

Ever since Halo 3, your armour showed how good you where, or what achievements you had unlocked, and you are more likely to play a game much longer, if there is something to work towards. Lets say that there are 200 pieces of armour to collect in Halo 5, (I know this is wrong, just roll with it) only about 10 of those are unlock-able through completing the Campaign, or watching Halo: Nightfall, or something through Halo Waypoint. All the rest of the 190 pieces are through random REQ packs.

This is the issue, even Halo 4 had commendations to complete to unlock the best armours. I feel that this is what Halo 5 is missing.

I would go by the Titanfall Multiple Customisation System, if you like the game series or not, you have to admit that the customisation in multiplayer in TF2 is the best out there.

You work hard to level up weapons to unlock skins that stand out, and the same with skins for your Titan and your character, this is what we want in Halo 5.

'Member the days of Reach, were you where only a Sargent and you saw someone with the In-climate Weather effect, and you decided to play and play until you got enough credits to get that piece? I do, and I still don’t have enough to get it to this day!

I just hope that we have commendations like Halo Reach and that this can be used to work towards unlocking armours, along with levelling up.

I really don’t want to see the Req system again.

> 2533274818084099;14:
> Didn’t they confirm that there will be no loot boxes in H:I ?

Yes. Lootboxes won’t be anywhere near Halo for Infinite.

> 2533274876601129;15:
> 'Member the days of Reach, were you where only a Sargent and you saw someone with the In-climate Weather effect, and you decided to play and play until you got enough credits to get that piece? I do, and I still don’t have enough to get it to this day!

I’m close, very close…

I love you 343 but I say this with the most love I can give but please, please either remove them or change it for the better. Please.

> 2779900484279609;12:
> > 2533275001522797;10:
> > Just bring back the Reach credit system, there is no known downside of it. I hope they do trash reqs along with Warzone. It was a great game mode but, I don’t see how it would work without reqs.
>
> Completely agree. The Reach system is great. You can choose how much you want to work to get a certain piece. It gave you small goals to attain every time you played. If 343 implemented this in H6 they would probably just let you buy pieces as well instead of grinding for them. I would dislike that, but that’s not intrusive or annoying like H5’s ridiculous amount of variants.

I bought the classic helmets req pack and realized there wasn’t an EOD Helmet included … i miss that helmet…