What We Want for Classic Gametypes

Hey everyone, I was thinking it would be a good idea for us to outline exactly what we want for the Classic gametypes in Halo 4, because those gametypes will be a in a large part 343 throwing us a bone. We should make it easy for them.

First I’d like to differentiate two different gametypes, Classic and Barebones.

I think the Classic gametypes should be the trilogy’s traits and mechanics mixed with the Halo 4 sandbox and maps. Though I like Sprint, I think it should out of this gametype. Movement and jump height and jump “floatiness” should be like they were in the Original trilogy. Health, amount of shields, shield recharge rate should be exactly like they were, as well as other factors like bleedthrough. Melee damage should be the same. Scoring should be based solely on kills, and should go to 50. Respawn time and weapon spawns should be like in the trilogy as well.

But there’s a few things that I think will be unnecessary to take out. Assassinations should stay in the playlist. I personally don’t think weapon stats should be altered. Unless we find it really necessary, I think that the playlist should mostly use Halo 4 maps. Maybe there can be two types of Classic slayer where one has the Armor Abilities spread out around the map to replicate the equipment from Halo 3 and where the other completely leaves out abilities. I personally think that the abilities should be used as equipment, maybe they can be used up (3 thrusts, 1 hardlight shield, 1 hologram, etc.).

I’d personally choose to not have so many remakes for this playlist, unless Halo 4’s maps really just don’t fit the playstyle (let’s just wait and see about that aspect). I adore Forge and I’m very optimistic about where it’s going with 343 and Certain Affinity, especially with the 3 different Forge environments, but having the Classic playlist contain too many Forged maps could really dampen the experience unless it was really necessary.

IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO READ ANYTHING ELSE, READ THIS:
The Classic playlist, in my opinion, should NOT try to make us think we’re playing Halo: CE, 2, or 3. It should try to make us think we’re playing a different Halo 4 that is pre-Reach and is part of a 4 game original “quadrology”. The maps changed between Halos 1, 2, and 3, so I think it’s fine to add more, as well as new weapons and even Halo 3-style equipment. Even something like Assassinations should be kept in, A.) because they’re awesome, B.) because they are a logical addition to the original trilogy, just like Hijacking was. The Classic gametypes should feel like the original trilogy, or at least as close as Halo 3 was to Halo 2. But I think it’s possible for a Classic gametype to be annoying if it’s TOO hindsighted. It should make us think it fits in the trilogy just like CE, 2, and 3 do.

Regarding Barebones: This is a gametype that I think has value in a different way. Rather than try to replicate a previous game’s playstyle, this should just provide a more focused, less cluttered version of the Halo 4 multiplayer. Does this mean no Ordnance drops? Maybe. Does this mean Sprint is in? Maybe, because I think Classic should be the gametype stripped of Sprint, and we should have one of these types of gametypes that DOES have Sprint in it. Does Barebones mean scrap the AAs entirely, rather than distributing them around the map like equipment? I think so. And if anyone can come up with a better name for it than fricking Barebones, I’ll give them a sugary pastry.

I’d like to hear everyone else’s opinion on the matter; Many people have voiced their approval for a Classic gametype, but few have said exactly what they wanted. The original classic gametype in Reach was not what I think a Classic gametype should be.

> And if anyone can come up with a better name for it than fricking Barebones, I’ll give them a sugary pastry.

It should be called ‘Nostalgia Mode’.Now where’s my sugary pastry?

I like it. I’m not getting my hopes up for that much detail for a classic playlist because even though I know nothing about making video games, that sounds like a lot of work. But if that was implemented or close to it I’d be very impressed.

> > And if anyone can come up with a better name for it than fricking Barebones, I’ll give them a sugary pastry.
>
> It should be called ‘Nostalgia Mode’.Now where’s my sugary pastry?

Here ya go.

> I like it. I’m not getting my hopes up for that much detail for a classic playlist because even though I know nothing about making video games, that sounds like a lot of work. But if that was implemented or close to it I’d be very impressed.

I think this would actually be rather easy to implement, I’m guessing every change I suggested will be available in Custom Games, but I think that’s how it should be in Matchmaking.

If you want a classic game mode, it would just:
Disable Sprint
Limit Bloom
Up damage a tiny amount (For 4 shot BR kills)
Disable Loudouts
Disable Armour Abilities
No ordinance
No random weapon drops (Weapons swap in specific areas)

Well for starters, a classic gametype has to feel somewhat like halos 1-3. Loadouts would need to be disabled all together, meaning no AAs, no tactical package or support upgrade, and everyone spawning with the same weapons and grenades. There would also have to be Static weapon spawns;no drop pods with randomized weapon/grenade spawns. after these features are out of the way, were just about ready. maps would probably need to be customarily set for this as well. And depending on how damage, speed, jumpheight etc. is in halo 4, those would have to be adjusted.

[deleted]

Since I’ve resigned myself to the fact that we’re never getting Halo 2 multiplayer back (don’t even mention Vista or XBConnect), I’d personally prefer any Classic gametypes to play similarly (<–key word) to Halo 2; that is, higher movement speed than Reach, higher jump height, no bloom, no armor abilities, no perks, no loadouts, no sprint, 4 frag grenades and 4 plasma grenades, weapon and grenade pickups on map, active camo and overshield on map, about 3 melees to kill, melee bleedthrough, etc. (Leaving out the horrific aim-assist, bullet magnetism, melee lunge, and all those other scary mechanics of course). I’d also really appreciate a few matches with vehicles for some classic Halo vehicular fun.

This is not nostalgia talking, since I very recently played a few rather terrible matches of Halo 2 Vista at a friend’s house and I had more fun than I’ve ever had playing Reach, or even Halo 3, which I’ve also recently played and had a lot of fun. Some well-made classic maps made in Forge from Halo 2 and Halo 3 for the playlist would be much appreciated as well.