What was the point of making the Storm Rifle?

I’m just forced to wonder. I mean we already had the Plasma Repeater. What was the point of making the Storm Rifle if it’s the exact same thing…

The Plasma Rifle was different enough from the Repeater in the way it’s accuracy, fire rate, and damage ratios worked. And made it more like a Sidearm than a main rifle. But the Repeater and the Storm Rifle’s only real difference is the way it overheats.

Couldn’t they have, you know, made the Storm Rifle unique in some way?

I think the Storm Rifle is pretty unique, considering it will have it’s own custom skin soon.

In my opinion the Storm Rifle is unique enough. As taken from the in-game text, the Storm Rifle is considered the succsessor of the Plasma Rifle.
The Storm Rifle is made more stable, that’s why it’s bigger. It is more precise, and has a stable fire rate when it heats up.
And the Plasma Repeater were only in/on Reach, so I’m not sure if you can count it in here.
They wanted to show that things have evolved, and with the Storm Rifle, something did evolve.

I guess.

The plasma repeater was an interesting idea but unfortunately it failed miserably from a gameplay perspective. I am fine with its evolution but I would like to see the Reach Plasma Rifle return as a sidearm or something. The plasma rifle hasn’t ever had the punch to really compete with the other weapons sadly

I liked the Repeater and thought it was a really good step forward, by actually having something unique like venting. Unfortunately venting the Repeater could’ve been done better so that it could stand an equal chance against a rushing AR, but also beat the AR if the player vented their Repeater for the right amount of time and at the right second.

I don’t know what to say about the Storm Rifle. It’s just an alien version of the AR, there’s nothing else to say about it.

The BR/Carbine relationship worked well because the carbine does less damage per shot but can fire faster, which benefits people who can master its need for a fast trigger finger. The AR/SR relationship doesn’t work because of how difficult it is to tell how they’re different from each other; as far as I know it seems like the SR overheats quicker than the AR needs to reload and it doesn’t do as much damage, which are both disadvantages.

> The plasma repeater was an interesting idea but unfortunately it failed miserably from a gameplay perspective. I am fine with its evolution but I would like to see the Reach Plasma Rifle return as a sidearm or something. The plasma rifle hasn’t ever had the punch to really compete with the other weapons sadly

CE plasma rifle would like to argue your last point.

I digress though. I’d honestly rather have the Suppressor and the Plasma rifle as secondaries in the future instead of boltshot and plasma pistol (both of which unbalance gameplay).

OT: I’m not sure what the point of the pulse rifle was aside from 343i simply trying to leave their own mark on something instead of using the perfectly good weapons we already had, which I would argue had a more alien look to them anyway.

They’re less similar then you think. After using the Storm Rifle in campaign I already noticed the difference between the weapons and how there’s less tactics in using it. With the Repeater, I’m constantly thinking about pacing, when to vent heat, when to stop venting, or when to let it overheat. If someone ducks behind cover, I think about how much time I have to vent the heat or even consider letting it overheat for more accuracy at midrange. I even learned how to vent heat in the middle of a firefight and then cancel for a better firing rate.

The pulse rifle? What? What pulse rifle?

The storm rifle is pretty awesome. I used to use it a lot at some point. The no overheating thing is a big thing about it. It allows you to keep firing and stuff. Way different than the assault rifle.

Well due to loadouts, 343 had to balance all full autos to be practically the same, with some minor differences. AR is hitscan, and reloads faster than the SR which is projectile-based and takes longer to recharge, while the suppressor holds the smg-like niche of high fire rate at close range.

The plasma rifle, unlike the storm rifle which is pretty much just a covi AR, was the best weapon choice for removing shields. The only plasma weapon that can do that in H4 now is the plasma pistol. :frowning:

With regards to canon, the “storm” rifle was most likely the storm’s spin off of the plasma rifle, which is probably still being used by the Arbiters forces. Just because canon says the weapon is outdated doesnt mean it will never be seen again. The concussion rifle for instance was succeeded by the improved brute shot long after reach, and yet its still being used 4 years later. By that logic, there is no reason why the plasma rifle cant return in Halo 5 or 6. (I hope it does too!) It would help bring the uniqueness back to Halo’s weapon sandbox.

I find the Storm rifle much more useful than the Plasma Repeater ever was. Maybe I just wasn’t using the Plasma Repeater properly but I swear you had to have like 3 people with Plasma Repeaters shooting one guy with an Assault Rifle to kill him relatively quickly. And even then one of the 3 Plasma Repeater wielders would probably die from the Assault Rifle still, which is what made Invasion such a pain.

Becuase 343i had to humanize everything for some reason!

The only time the Plasma Rifle was interesting or fun (IMO) was in Halo 1. In case you didn’t play it or forgot, being shot by a plasma rifle slowed you down. Your turn and movement speed suffered, thus making the gun unique and fun.

I’d like to see that mechanic come back and make the rifle/repeater/storm rifle a more interesting weapon.

> The plasma rifle, unlike the storm rifle which is pretty much just a covi AR, was the best weapon choice for removing shields. The only plasma weapon that can do that in H4 now is the plasma pistol. :frowning:

Wait, how are you saying the Plasma Rifle was “just a Covi AR” The Storm rifle has the same rate of fire as the AR, kills in ONE less shot, and does a more similar health/shield damage ratio to the AR’s than the Plasma Rifle ever did. It even has the exact same spread as the AR.

The Plasma Rifle was completely different from the AR, especially in Halo CE. It’s “Increasing” rate of fire, and EXCELLENT accuracy, as well as Semi-Automatic function, headshot damage bonus, and stun effect actually made it and the AR completely different weapons in Halo CE.

In Halo 2 it kind of just became a Plasma SMG. But before they changed it it was unique, there actually hasn’t been a single weapon in the series quite like the Halo CE Plasma Rifle.

As per the Repeater, honestly, wouldn’t it make more sense to just buff the thing instead of making a whole new weapon? The AR in Halo 4 is a huge buff from the AR in Halo Reach. I have the same problem with things like the Focus Rifle, instead of just cloning the Sniper again with the Beam Rifle, (Rate of Fire and ‘overheat’ vs ‘reload’ being the only two real differences. The Aim assist is, Idk I have no clue where they were going with that, but it wasn’t like that in 2 or 3), they could have just buffed the hell out of the Focus Rifle, or made mild alterations to the way it functioned.

I don’t see a point in directly cloning weapons, or replacing a weapon with, short a reload mechanic and a damage buff, the exact same weapon.

> I find the Storm rifle much more useful than the Plasma Repeater ever was. Maybe I just wasn’t using the Plasma Repeater properly but I swear you had to have like 3 people with Plasma Repeaters shooting one guy with an Assault Rifle to kill him relatively quickly. And even then one of the 3 Plasma Repeater wielders would probably die from the Assault Rifle still, which is what made Invasion such a pain.

Actually, with effort and practice, the Plasma Repeater was a stronger overall weapon than the AR. Because it’s rate of fire started out so much faster than the AR’s, and it did the same shot-for-shot damage, the Plasma Repeater had a faster killtime for any player capable of leading his shots effectively. And the ability to vent heat at will gave it even more advantages, such as the ability to quickly vent, then cancel while ducked behind cover, to catch an AR while he is reloading, or to simply come out with a superior rate of fire again. And if the fight dragged on for whatever reason, the AR player was stuck in a reload while you could still hit him with your slowed down shots, usually killing him before he’s done his animation.

The Storm Rifle by comparison feels less… interactive.

And like I’ve said before, no weapon is ever the same in two Halo games. They could have just given the Plasma Repeater a damage buff and called it a day. Or given rebirth to the Plasma Rifle, which has never quite been the same since Dual Wield reared it’s ugly head in the one-time-wonder’s direction.

IMO if they were planning to make the Storm Rifle anyway, they should have at least tried to make it completely different from the PR and Repeater. There were so many directions they could have taken it. A Projectile/Precision weapon cross-breed similar to Halo 3’s Bullet Travel BR, but with Plasma damage ratios would have been pretty epic, and completely untouched in the Halo games prior. Maybe Automatic in the sense of the NR (you can hold the trigger, but it will shoot slowly), but each ‘shot’ is a burst (for the sake of consistency without hitscan) and 2 shot shield drain, 2 additional headshots to kill, 1.5x or 2x scope. And just 'cause it’d be awesome to make a return, Plasma Stun :P. I mean, the thing already LOOKs more like a Carbine or Needle Rifle than a Plasma weapon. Might as well have made it play like it looks.

Storm Rifle is basically an upgraded version of the Plasma Rifle (which can be seen in both gameplay and canon). I freaking love my baby Storm Rifle. It’s just great!

And the Plasma Repeater sucked hard. And even if you buffed it, I still would prefer the Storm Rifle because while you can shoot both indefinitely, the Storm Rifle keeps its RoF and damage while the Plasma Repeater loses everything and becomes completely useless and then you have to “reload it”, while with the Storm Rifle you don’t ever have to.

Storm Rifle greater than Plasma Rifle greater than Plasma Repeater

The plasma rifle was a great weapon that I actually used in previous games. The storm rifle is awful. It overheats after every kill, assuming you get the kill.

> Storm Rifle is basically an upgraded version of the Plasma Rifle (which can be seen in both gameplay and canon). I freaking love my baby Storm Rifle. It’s just great!
>
> And the Plasma Repeater sucked hard. And even if you buffed it, I still would prefer the Storm Rifle because while you can shoot both indefinitely, the Storm Rifle keeps its RoF and damage while the Plasma Repeater loses everything and becomes completely useless and then you have to “reload it”, while with the Storm Rifle you don’t ever have to.
>
> Storm Rifle greater than Plasma Rifle greater than Plasma Repeater

Even if you didn’t vent, you could keep the Plasma Repeater’s rate of fire up just by waiting for it to cool down, or firing in bursts…

It was the same, but with more functionality and control to the player. In every way superior (At least it would have been if it was buffed to have the same killtime).

Using the manual vent, you could cool one down faster than a Storm Rifle cools down too. And since you could cancel the vent animation at any time, it made for some awesome micromanagement situations. It really deserved to be reconsidered with a damage buff.

Why buff when you could increase weapon damage up by 25%? Sounds like a valid excuse to test out in custom games and to see how it scales up with other weapons.

The Storm Rifle is the most useful Plasma Based automatic small-arm since the CE’s plasma rifle. In H2 and H3 it was only useful if dual wielded, in ODST it was nice but not as useful.

In Reach the Plasma Repeater was an absolute garbage. It was basically a re-skin assault rifle with projectile’s and you cannot pick up ammo for it.

It’s been only good at an Elite AI’s hand. It was bs anywhere else.
The Plasma Repeater dose not depleted shields faster than an AR. It was nice against flash but nothing else.

It is the worst Covenant weapon in Halo’s history. It’s only competitor is the single shot plasma pistol from H3.

Actually storm rifle and AR are comparable now
Remember, although the storm rifle overheats, you don’t need to reload!