What was the biggest ground/space battle?

Something regarding the forerunners? The unsc? Prehistoric humanity?

[deleted]

> 2535437031951215;2:
> The Fall Of Reach?

Not even close. My guess would be the Forerunner’s last stand at the Greater(?) Ark. Hundreds of thousands of ships fighting, along with a halo ring used.

[deleted]

> 2535437031951215;4:
> > 2533274978302173;3:
> > > 2535437031951215;2:
> > > The Fall Of Reach?
> >
> > Not even close. My guess would be the Forerunner’s last stand at the Greater(?) Ark. Hundreds of thousands of ships fighting, along with a halo ring used.
>
> UNSC wise though…

Battle of Earth? The Home Fleet alone had over 100 ships and there were many other fleets there. Plus with it being humanities homeworld it’d have the most defenses.

With what we know currently, thinking these would be likely choices.

Forerunner-
Space: Battle of the 78th Thema: Had amassed 12 fortress vessels supported by 700,000 harrier-class vessels.

Ground: Unknown, likely various battles during forerunner-flood war or human-forerunner war.

Flood-
Space: Battle of the Maginot Line: Had gathered remaining flood vessels to create a fleet of 4.8 million vessels. 86,436 of these were warships.

Ground: Unknown, forerunner-flood war in general: Had access to trillions of flood forms.

Ancient Human:
Space: Battle of Charum Hakkor- Had enough ships and defenses to hold off the forerunners for 50 years. During the final 3 years, still had enough ships to “sweep back and forth,” across the system to deny forerunner ships tactical positions non-stop. Had seventy reserve ships to act as “special ops” teams guarding the Primordial.

Ground: Unknown, likely Battle of Charum Hakkor as the planet was their capital.

UNSC:
Space: Battle of Earth- Fought a month-long “siege,” in space against ever increasing numbers of Covenant ships before arrival of the keyship.

Ground: Battle of Earth- Defending against various Covenant ground forces in Africa and across the globe.

Covenant:
Space: Currently Fall of Reach- Had a fleet of around 350 ships, over 100 were lost during the battle.

Ground: Fall of High Charity- Had thousands of soldiers on the city when the schism and flood fell on them. Were either killed, consumed, or escaped.

> 2533274806469514;6:
> With what we know currently, thinking these would be likely choices.
>
> Forerunner-
> Space: Battle of the 78th Thema: Had amassed 12 fortress vessels supported by 700,000 harrier-class vessels.
>
> Ground: Unknown, likely various battles during forerunner-flood war or human-forerunner war.
>
> Flood-
> Space: Battle of the Maginot Line: Had gathered remaining flood vessels to create a fleet of 4.8 million vessels. 86,436 of these were warships.
> Ground: Unknown, forerunner-flood war in general: Had access to trillions of flood forms.
>
> Ancient Human:
> Space: Battle of Charum Hakkor- Had enough ships and defenses to hold off the forerunners for 50 years. During the final 3 years, still had enough ships to “sweep back and forth,” across the system to deny forerunner ships tactical positions non-stop. Had seventy reserve ships to act as “special ops” teams guarding the Primordial.
>
> Ground: Unknown, likely Battle of Charum Hakkor as the planet was their capital.
> UNSC:
> Space: Battle of Earth- Fought a month-long “siege,” in space against ever increasing numbers of Covenant ships before arrival of the keyship.
> Ground: Battle of Earth- Defending against various Covenant ground forces in Africa and across the globe.
>
> Covenant:
> Space: Currently Fall of Reach- Had a fleet of around 350 ships, over 100 were lost during the battle.
>
> Ground: Fall of High Charity- Had thousands of soldiers on the city when the schism and flood fell on them. Were either killed, consumed, or escaped.

I would faster say the Fall of Reach was more of a significant battle for the UNSC in space than Battle for Earth for two reasons. One the UNSC commited over 150 major warships to it’s defence with many of them being lost, also outside of Sol, Reach contained the largest ODP and orbital station/support network, that we know of, which was all lost.
Second are the classes of ships used. This ranged from every conceivable frigate class, but also destroyers, the bulk of the cruiser and carrier force and at least one Punic super carrier, the Trafalgar. Almost all were lost which meant an insurmountable loss of assets. The battle for Earth largely depended on the ODP network. The fleet itself as far as we know was not necessarily small but was not made up of as many major warships as Reach.

> 2533274806469514;6:
> Covenant:
> Space: Currently Fall of Reach- Had a fleet of around 350 ships, over 100 were lost during the battle.
>
> Ground: Fall of High Charity- Had thousands of soldiers on the city when the schism and flood fell on them. Were either killed, consumed, or escaped.

As far as space battles go, I think the Fall of High Charity, Battle of Psi Serpentis, Operation First Strike, and even the Battle of Earth were all bigger battles (if we’re talking about the Covenant army sizes alone that is). Also, even though it wasn’t really a battle, the destruction of Joyous Exultation was also technically “bigger” than the Fall of Reach.

When it comes to ground battles, I absolutely agree with you about the Fall of High Charity being the biggest. Absolutely massive compared to all the others.

> 2533274943975523;7:
> > 2533274806469514;6:
> > With what we know currently, thinking these would be likely choices.
> >
> > Forerunner-
> > Space: Battle of the 78th Thema: Had amassed 12 fortress vessels supported by 700,000 harrier-class vessels.
> >
> > Ground: Unknown, likely various battles during forerunner-flood war or human-forerunner war.
> >
> > Flood-
> > Space: Battle of the Maginot Line: Had gathered remaining flood vessels to create a fleet of 4.8 million vessels. 86,436 of these were warships.
> > Ground: Unknown, forerunner-flood war in general: Had access to trillions of flood forms.
> >
> > Ancient Human:
> > Space: Battle of Charum Hakkor- Had enough ships and defenses to hold off the forerunners for 50 years. During the final 3 years, still had enough ships to “sweep back and forth,” across the system to deny forerunner ships tactical positions non-stop. Had seventy reserve ships to act as “special ops” teams guarding the Primordial.
> >
> > Ground: Unknown, likely Battle of Charum Hakkor as the planet was their capital.
> > UNSC:
> > Space: Battle of Earth- Fought a month-long “siege,” in space against ever increasing numbers of Covenant ships before arrival of the keyship.
> > Ground: Battle of Earth- Defending against various Covenant ground forces in Africa and across the globe.
> >
> > Covenant:
> > Space: Currently Fall of Reach- Had a fleet of around 350 ships, over 100 were lost during the battle.
> >
> > Ground: Fall of High Charity- Had thousands of soldiers on the city when the schism and flood fell on them. Were either killed, consumed, or escaped.
>
> I would faster say the Fall of Reach was more of a significant battle for the UNSC in space than Battle for Earth for two reasons. One the UNSC commited over 150 major warships to it’s defence with many of them being lost, also outside of Sol, Reach contained the largest ODP and orbital station/support network, that we know of, which was all lost.
> Second are the classes of ships used. This ranged from every conceivable frigate class, but also destroyers, the bulk of the cruiser and carrier force and at least one Punic super carrier, the Trafalgar. Almost all were lost which meant an insurmountable loss of assets. The battle for Earth largely depended on the ODP network. The fleet itself as far as we know was not necessarily small but was made up of as many major warships as Reach.

Fall of Reach: 132 Ships, 20 Orbital Defense Platforms

Battle of Earth: Over 100 Ships, 300 Orbital Defense Platforms

> 2533274943975523;7:
> > 2533274806469514;6:
> >
>
> I would faster say the Fall of Reach was more of a significant battle for the UNSC in space than Battle for Earth for two reasons. One the UNSC commited over 150 major warships to it’s defence with many of them being lost, also outside of Sol, Reach contained the largest ODP and orbital station/support network, that we know of, which was all lost.
> Second are the classes of ships used. This ranged from every conceivable frigate class, but also destroyers, the bulk of the cruiser and carrier force and at least one Punic super carrier, the Trafalgar. Almost all were lost which meant an insurmountable loss of assets. The battle for Earth largely depended on the ODP network. The fleet itself as far as we know was not necessarily small but was made up of as many major warships as Reach.

The reason I used Earth was because they likely had more ships during that battle compared to Reach.

> 2535433369016861;8:
> > 2533274806469514;6:
> > Covenant:
> > Space: Currently Fall of Reach- Had a fleet of around 350 ships, over 100 were lost during the battle.
> >
> > Ground: Fall of High Charity- Had thousands of soldiers on the city when the schism and flood fell on them. Were either killed, consumed, or escaped.
>
> As far as space battles go, I think the Fall of High Charity, Battle of Psi Serpentis, Operation First Strike, and even the Battle of Earth were all bigger battles (if we’re talking about the Covenant army sizes alone that is). Also, even though it wasn’t really a battle, the destruction of Joyous Exultation was also technically “bigger” than the Fall of Reach.
>
> When it comes to ground battles, I absolutely agree with you about the Fall of High Charity being the biggest. Absolutely massive compared to all the others.

Agreed with all of those, however the reason I chose Reach was because we had numbers. We don’t know exactly how many ships guarded High Charity, simply “hundreds.” Nor how many Covenant warships took part during the Battle of Earth. I considered, “biggest battle,” as one where both sides had sizable groups of ships.

By the standard I used, I considered Cole’s last stand as a trap, a small group of ships fighting a vastly larger group that wouldn’t have lasted long alone. First Strike fit in a similar mold, and Joyous Exultation was a pure accident with no opposing fleet. Had we exact numbers for all these, I would have chosen High Charity’s fall as the space battle as well.

> 2535433369016861;9:
> > 2533274943975523;7:
> > > 2533274806469514;6:
> > > With what we know currently, thinking these would be likely choices.
> > >
> > > Forerunner-
> > > Space: Battle of the 78th Thema: Had amassed 12 fortress vessels supported by 700,000 harrier-class vessels.
> > >
> > > Ground: Unknown, likely various battles during forerunner-flood war or human-forerunner war.
> > >
> > > Flood-
> > > Space: Battle of the Maginot Line: Had gathered remaining flood vessels to create a fleet of 4.8 million vessels. 86,436 of these were warships.
> > > Ground: Unknown, forerunner-flood war in general: Had access to trillions of flood forms.
> > >
> > > Ancient Human:
> > > Space: Battle of Charum Hakkor- Had enough ships and defenses to hold off the forerunners for 50 years. During the final 3 years, still had enough ships to “sweep back and forth,” across the system to deny forerunner ships tactical positions non-stop. Had seventy reserve ships to act as “special ops” teams guarding the Primordial.
> > >
> > > Ground: Unknown, likely Battle of Charum Hakkor as the planet was their capital.
> > > UNSC:
> > > Space: Battle of Earth- Fought a month-long “siege,” in space against ever increasing numbers of Covenant ships before arrival of the keyship.
> > > Ground: Battle of Earth- Defending against various Covenant ground forces in Africa and across the globe.
> > >
> > > Covenant:
> > > Space: Currently Fall of Reach- Had a fleet of around 350 ships, over 100 were lost during the battle.
> > >
> > > Ground: Fall of High Charity- Had thousands of soldiers on the city when the schism and flood fell on them. Were either killed, consumed, or escaped.
> >
> > I would faster say the Fall of Reach was more of a significant battle for the UNSC in space than Battle for Earth for two reasons. One the UNSC commited over 150 major warships to it’s defence with many of them being lost, also outside of Sol, Reach contained the largest ODP and orbital station/support network, that we know of, which was all lost.
> > Second are the classes of ships used. This ranged from every conceivable frigate class, but also destroyers, the bulk of the cruiser and carrier force and at least one Punic super carrier, the Trafalgar. Almost all were lost which meant an insurmountable loss of assets. The battle for Earth largely depended on the ODP network. The fleet itself as far as we know was not necessarily small but was made up of as many major warships as Reach.
>
> Fall of Reach: 132 Ships, 20 Orbital Defense Platforms
>
> Battle of Earth: Over 100 Ships, 300 Orbital Defense Platforms

101 is more than 100. The battle for Earth was easily the most significant of the war for humanity. However, my point is Earth had an extensive ODP network of over 300 platforms which did most of the heavy hitting while the fleets present were to act more as a screen. The battle for Reach had more of a reliance on the fleet directly engaging the Covenant ships while they were augmented by the ODP network which would target command ships, along with other capital ships. Thus my personal answer to your question, with my posts are that while Earth was more significant being the cradle world, while Reach was more of a larger battle due to assets used and lost.

Speaking solely in terms of the Human-Covenant War, I’d submit that the Battle of Harvest was the largest. Certainly in terms of Naval engagement, if not also in the sheer length of protracted engagement. Regarding scope of forces involved, the Battle of Reach certainly contends, and perhaps even the Battle for Earth.

The Battle of Psi Serpentis?

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

<p>The Battle of Psi Serpentis?</p>